Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Steelies or mag wheels? Both are popular but what do you prefer?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 23, 2017.

1. wutnxt

wutnxt

Steelies or mags, anything but Cragars. Never did like 'em

2. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Although cool, steel wheels seem to give a car a stock or restored/ sleeper vibe. But mag's with big and littles give even a crap ass old 6 cylinder four door the look like it is going a 100 standing still. I like both, but 90 % of the time I will choose Mag's. Larry

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. I kinda like 'em both.

Mick
    DSCF0758a.jpg DSCF0668 (Copy).JPG

putz, Lorenzini, BHRS and 5 others like this.
  4. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  5. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I'll always prefer steelies. I love the low buck, plain look of them. That and the fact that mags didn't become popular till the mid 60s and i like 1955-1962 ish built cars

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER and Humboldt Cat like this.
  6. sololobo

sololobo

my 2 cents, Mag wheels are for race cars, just no exception for me ever

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I saw 3 vintage chrome plated steelies in the box at a swap meet today. not sure what brand they were. definitely old. blue lettering in the box is all I remember.

HOTRODPRIMER and Moriarity like this.
  8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

every car pictured here with steelies would look just as good with the proper size vintage American 5 spokes... well except for Moriarity's custom cars.

HOTRODPRIMER and little red 50 like this.
  9. nvrenuff

nvrenuff
    from new jersey

How about steel mags? Ha. I change em just to keep myself from selling the whole car. Change it up to renew Interest. Just picked up these appliances. Need mopar 4.5" retaining rings if anyone has em laying around???

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Attached Files:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. stimpy

stimpy

I am on the fence at times , As I like both , but the steelies have to be like a artillery style rim not a cop car or truck rim , as for Mags slots or a slot type ( ansens , rodlight , halibrands ) on a old ride look nice , around here they torque thrusted it to death ..they even put them on the puke t cruisers .

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Old Cragar SS on the 35. I bought alloys for the 46 but I'm selling them and getting steelies so I can run some NOS caps. I had chrome Ansens and Magnums as well as steelies on previous cars. Love SmokinBill's options

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. Mag. That's short for Magnesium. #1 IMO
    Steelies on bare bones sleepers, early tin, shine runners, oh hell.. I like 'em all! IMG_20141126_113319159.jpg

13. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

Steelies. Very rear mags add to the cool of a car. Especially these new oversize one.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. TheWanderer

TheWanderer
    from Sweden

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. 5smittys

5smittys

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Steelies, alloys, wires, all have their place; even the new steelies with holes in them can very easily be given the feel of '50s/'60s Alfa-Romeo/Jaguar/etc. wheels. I'm with wutnxt on Cragars, though.

When a steelie isn't a steelie:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    wutnxt likes this.
  17. Steel slots have become really hard to come by. I have had a couple of cars that had them but way back in the '70s. If I could find an old set even if the chrome was bad I would run them and never give it s second thought. I had a friend in the early '80s that had them on all for corners of a galaxie 500 (I think a '63 or '64) the chrome was crap and he painted them gold. Good looking car.

@Montana1 seems like I used to have American 5 spokes a lot. I knew lots of guys with craigers but for whatever reason I usually had a set of Americans or could find them easy enough.

18. wicarnut

wicarnut

All of the above, wheels/tires are the one thing that can change up the "Look" of a ride more so than anything you can do, IMO

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.
  19. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I prefer Cragars only on muscle cars.
    Chrome reverse look great on 60's cars.
    Steelies are great on anything pre 1980.
    Early wires only up to 1936.
    I too like red wheels.
    I never understood the negative opinions of them.
    They are more traditional than any other color and found clear back to our beginnings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    putz and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  20. It's easy to see on the roadster that the wheels play well with the visible red interior on the roadster. It's nearly a perfect concert.

On the three window, red wheels look good but not as nearly perfect as the roadster so I don't like them as much either-especially when parked together. Not that they don't work, but because I was spoiled with nearly perfect of the roadster.

Texas57 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  21. 'Beaner, if you were closer, I'd give you a pair of crappy 15x8 steel slots. So far, no one want 'em around here.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. I love Cragars, but changed them out for more period correct steelies on my '39
    IMG_1992.JPG IMG_2061.JPG

23. Yeah, Mericans make a hot rod out of anything! :D

bowie and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  24. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

My first love for wheels is 53 Stubebaker cone gold dot covers on 15in. anything.***** Steely's with rings an beany or bullet star center was my #2 wheel love. The last wheels I fell in love with are slots. I've not added any thing to those 3,haven't seen better yet.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. image.jpeg I bought new Halibrands 10 years ago from Halibrand and am in the process of changing over to "steelies and Ford caps" for a different look.When I get "tired" of the steelies, the mags(aluminum) go back on. Flatheads Forever!

dana barlow and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  26. sunk99

sunk99

I used to think that all cars needed an aluminum wheel but the older I have gotten the more I have grown to like the steel wheels. My current 61 bubble has steelies and my last 62 chevy wagon had billet specialties solid wheels with caps to mimic steelies

Sent from my SM-G920V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. If I were closer I would take 'em.
    Usually when you find steel slots around here the bolt holes are all wobbled out. I guess they used with acorn nuts ( which would be about right) and commonly the lugs were just bearley too long, They would run just loose enough to wobble the holes out.
    The '39 looks real sweet with the steelies. You don't really have room for it but I would like to see the rears reversed, just the beaners visual delight. But like I said the old ford looks real good with steelies.

Laugh if you like, I traded for a '65 Impala 4 door hardtop once and it had Americans all around, and radio tars. It was a hotrod I know it were. ;)

Something that comes to mind, and it is just an aesthetic thing I think. But in my mind if a car is going to run really nice or newish looking wheels, especially aluminum wheels it really needs to have a decent paint job. On a jalopy fancy wheels just look like a jewel in a pigs snout.

wutnxt, dana barlow and Montana1 like this.
  28. Would Magnum 500's be steelies or be a Mag?
    Regardless I do like them.

greasemonkey54 likes this.
  29. LOL I like them too. I guess to a purest they are a steelie and a muscle car head ( born in the '80s or later of course) they would be "Mags". Perhaps they are steelmags.:D

30. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As long as they are not 22's, I don't care..