Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The long process of finding a project car and adventures of the new guy.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RaginPin3Appl3, Apr 4, 2016.

1. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Its worth it,not sure if it would be to you but it is to someone who wants to fix it, just make sure you simply get it transferred into your name before cash changes hands or no deal. You can do a "title only" here in Ky without proof of insurance etc. ,should be able to in Ill. ,not sure???

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Dude your back on the hunt! Awesome. Buy it. F it, why not?

Did you ever check this one out? I posted it in this thread before. Still for sale. A 58 two door, like you want, CLEAN TITLE, close to you, $3500. Looks better than that 57. Still for sale. Been for sale a long time, I'll bet they'll take an offer.

I don't remember if you said you checked this one out or not. Maybe you did.

https://racine.craigslist.org/cto/5998513152.html

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

4. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

Be advised. A 58 chevy is a one year only albatross. I have been rebuilding my moms. over the last four years. I have the tools, the space and the working knowledge to do so. Most every one that I have seen, unless out of Cali, Texas or Arizona have needed floor pans, or trunk pains, unless always stored indoors. Mom's car needed all new suspension bushing springs, tie rods ball joints brake lines etc. Some sites say 58 - 64 and it will fit. Not true. I am a tightwad plain and simple, so I have tried to keep budget down by bartering getting good deals etc. At this point we have ~ 15k in parts, including drive train, floor pans, trunk pans interior parts, wheels tires etc. Some items like trim you will pay what someone wants for it or you will not get it. Some things for these cars are not available repopped so you will pay for quality used or for NOS. I have done the work, so she has not had to pay labor. Flat glass on sides can be cut and tempered a little cheaper than buying from another source. That windshield was a good price, however shipping can be 250.00 on some of those since it has to come truck freight unless you use a glass shop that gets regular shipments from that particular supplier. I am in no way trying to discourage you, but I would have started with something better than mom's 58. However there is/was the emotional attachment that goes with that particular car. Her and my dad went everywhere in that car. Luckily the body does not have the rust that these cars have had. Like so many before have said buy the most complete, car in the best shape you can, it will pay dividends down the road. 58 on street.jpg

jeffd1988, hendelec, bobss396 and 2 others like this.
  5. henry29

henry29

It's very common in this area for people to jump titles to avoid title cost and taxes.

I've been watching that car on Craigslist for a while, If I didn't have 3 57's already I'd probably already own it, the open title wouldn't bother me at all unless it were out of the system.

6. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Alright i'm going to see if the seller will send pics of rockers and door bottoms. I'm going out of town for a couple days but when i get back i should be able to go get it as long as it all checks out

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

also, question for Illinois guys, when you have a non running car but the title is in your name, what happens when you don't get it registered? are there any fees if you don't register it right after purchase?

8. My '59 Ford was a one-year dealie as well. Nothing trim wise is re-popped, I had to scare up everything. I took my time and got some good deals and have some doubles so I can cherry pick and sell the leftovers. eBay is my best source.

Sanders has the '58 windshield for around $300, the one for my Ford was $370 and $160 to ship, freight only to a friend's shop. See the example in the link, not sure if it is correct for that car above.
    https://www.sandersreproglass.com/orderonline.php

9. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Well, i'm out of town right now and just found out the 57 is sold. Back to looking i guess

10. MOTOV8N

MOTOV8N
    from Manitoba

Somethin neat will come up...cash talks, so keep what your willing to spend in bills. When the opportunity hits, you'll be prepared while your competition is searching to find a bank machine...
    Some of the best tin is bought and sold 'spur of the moment'

Good luck!

11. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Might have just found the mother load. Guy about an hour from me said he has about 60 tri fives all different models and years. I'm planning a trip there this week. I'm kind of turning into a tri five guy as time goes on especially for the 57s :p

clunker likes this.
  12. A '55 to '57 may be a wiser choice, almost everything is available for them.

jeffd1988 and koolkemp like this.
  13. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Well I definitely found a good source of parts if i end up with a tri five. Guy also had a 58 but it was too roached for me. Tonnnss of 4 dr hard top parts and cars and a few sedans and 2 doors as well. If anyone needs tri five parts, i can pm you the guy's info

14. henry29

henry29

I might know who it is, but send me the name and contact anyway, really needing some 150 side trim.
    Thanks

15. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

00J0J_1QbbaxyBj22_1200x900.jpg 00j0j_9Fj2WS3VPrD_1200x900.jpg 00Z0Z_ahPVFBoU3O2_1200x900.jpg 00909_aeWDkHM83hs_1200x900.jpg 01111_c2oAbVWcDQP_1200x900.jpg 01212_cdnzBXKXZW2_1200x900.jpg 00J0J_1QbbaxyBj22_1200x900.jpg 00j0j_9Fj2WS3VPrD_1200x900.jpg 00Z0Z_ahPVFBoU3O2_1200x900.jpg 00909_aeWDkHM83hs_1200x900.jpg 01111_c2oAbVWcDQP_1200x900.jpg 01212_cdnzBXKXZW2_1200x900.jpg looking at this tomorrow after work.

clunker and low budget like this.
  16. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Car sold a couple hours before i could look at it. I have the worst luck with timing

17. henry29

henry29

That car looked great, I knew it wouldn't last long at that price.

18. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I know. There was one in similar condition in Indiana a couple weeks ago for the same price i'm wondering if its the same car. That one was just too far of a drive

19. henry29

henry29

There's a swap meet in Du quoin Ill next week, usually some good project cars there.
    Do they still have the swap meet in Belleville?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  20. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Damn. I went through all these pages hoping for a good ending! Keep on the hunt, when you find them for a great deal you need to drop everything and grab keys and go. That's how I've bought everything lol. Good luck

21. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Yeah they do. The good one near me is the april fools swap at gateway grizzly park in Sauget IL.

22. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

The big swap meet in Jefferson Wis. is the last weekend in April. Lots of parts, and lots of cars. It would be a bit of a drive from Belleville. However, most of the driving would be Interstate.

http://www.madisonclassics.com/

23. VTjunk

VTjunk

Saw all the posts today, thought for sure you'd found the one! Keep looking you'll find it.

24. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Thanks for the encouraging words dudes. Really sucks when you find a good car but can't get to it in time. Makes me consider giving up but i'm gonna keep looking

25. You have to have the $$$ in hand and be ready to strike like a cobra. That's how most of us get our good project cars. I always have an eye out for fire sales, failed projects or people who run out of time, money and or storage.

26. Exactly. The last kind of big thing I bought was an old sidecar from Craigslist, two states away, it was a screaming deal. Within 1 hour of reading the ad, I had talked to the seller on the phone, struck a deal, gotten a bank check in his name, photographed the check, texted him the photo and overnighted the envelope. I wanted to make sure that it was me that got it, not someone closer.

Even before the internet, when I saw some good shit in the want ads, I would call immediately then drive 2 hours in the middle of the night to check something out with a flashlight.

Sellers don't want to f-around with wishy washy buyers. They aren't "holding out" for that "perfect buyer". They want a guaranteed sale. $$$$$$$$$$$ Think about it from their perspective: one guy will come in two hours and is really interested, 5 minutes later he gets a call from another guy who wants to look at the car but can't come for 3 weeks because he works until 4:00 and it's dark, and his friends wedding is next weekend.....

Get out there, PineApple, and go for it!

27. Yup, the $5000 car suddenly becomes a possibly $3000 car when you show up when you said you would and flash the cash in their face.

28. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

[​IMG]

Thinking about taking a look at this car this week. Has anyone ever bought a car like this and then put it together with a parts car? The guy's asking like $1300 for this 57.

29. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

I could probably get a parts car for $2000-2500 with all the glass, a rough interior, and panels, just not sure if its a good idea to buy a car thats missing so much.

30. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

The amount of rust repair is the big thing on a 57 Chevy. This would be the rust in the floor pans, trunk floor and frame. Another biggie is if it had a clear, current title that matches the VIN tag. Also, the VIN tag should be spot welded onto the drivers door jamb, NOT held on with sheet metal screws. Looks like it's a BelAir 2 door sedan.

By the way....The BIG swap meet in Jefferson Wis. is next weekend.....Friday, Saturday and Sunday. LOTS of parts, and LOTS of cars in the car corral. Unfortunately, there's also a lot of other junk to wade through.

http://www.madisonclassics.com/car-shows/spring-jefferson.php

Might be worth the trip.