Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1955 Buick special 4 door sedan. Series 41. Build thread.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BrandonBerkosky, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Redrilled rotors for 5x5.
    Made a transfer punch out of the old kingpin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drewfus and LONG like this.
  2. Finally got her sneakers back on. I had to order new studs for the rear axle because I lost them somewhere in the shuffle. Now I can set the body back down to transport it for blasting.

[​IMG]

3. Haven't done too much lately. Saving up money and for parts. The machine shop called and said my engine need to be bored out. So I told them to hold off I'll bring another one down. It's good to be a parts hoarder

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. [​IMG]

5. Plugging away at the tub before it goes for blasting.
    Can't wait to see what it takes to reproduce this rear crossmember.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

brEad likes this.
  6. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

brEad likes this.
  7. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

low budget likes this.
  9. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Whats the latest plan? Stock look or custom?

10. The original plan is still in place. I want it to look exactly like my fathers did. Black and white with hubcaps.
    I only upgraded all the drivetrain and brakes for safety sake and quick parts availability. I plan on driving the wheels off this car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I forgot what it looked like all in one piece!

brEad, AndersF and low budget like this.
  11. Been putting this off for too long.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

low budget likes this.
  12. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I think a "very subtle" custom touch of making one piece rear side glasses would look good.
    I like 4 doors also but that little wing glass looking thing is one thing that bugs me on many cars including my favorite, tri five chevies, 4 door sedans. The buick looks like it would be a lot easier to do as it already looks done here...just a thought, carry on as you please, lookin good!
    [​IMG]

13. Thanks. Maybe the full rear window from a two door sedan will work in the back door. Now you have me thinking.

low budget likes this.
  14. Have to clean up the welds a little more. But I'm satisfied with the overall outcome

[​IMG]

15. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

A 2 door one would probably be a few inches short front to back, but Ive had flat glass cut pretty cheap, just had to have a template to go by, the window track is probably what would take a little creativity.

16. Slowly but Surely

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AndersF likes this.
  17. My first attempt at making a template for this piece under the trunk failed. Now I am using a plumb bob to drop the points right from the trunk to the paper. Gotcha this time ya sumbitch.

[​IMG]

brEad likes this.
  18. Turned out to be a pretty complicated piece in my opinion. Had to make it in 3 pieces on the car. I removed it to finish welding and add in the reinforcements.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

brEad and low budget like this.
  19. Really thinking about selling the Buick lately.
    For a few reasons.
    It's gotten out of hand to the point where it has to be perfection.
    I'm really more of a rough finisher. That way I can still drive them where and when I want and have fun without worrying.
    I'm having a lot more fun with the chrysler. The Buick is more stressful because I want it so perfect.
    I have $12,600 into the Buick and I think it's going to take at least $8-10k more. Now that I'm in business on my own and really trying to just save all my money I'm having a hard time swallowing those numbers.
    It's a 4 door so no one in their right mind would give me what I have into it.

I could take it out of my shop and park it in a garage my dad rents. Maybe take a break for a while and see if I change my mind.

any thoughts?

20. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Don't give up on the Buick, if you do you will kick yourself later. Take a break from it for awhile. Just think of the good memories it will bring back when it is rolling down the road with its new black and white suit!!
    P.S. I have a set of 56 Plymouth wheel covers like in the picture of your Dads 55 if you meed them.

brEad and BrandonBerkosky01 like this.
  21. I ended up putting the car away in a small garage my father rents. I hate doing bodywork when it's 90* out anyhow. I'll get back at it after I finish my fathers 60 chrysler.

brEad and AndersF like this.
  22. Stopped to see the old girl today. It's calling out to me in my dreams. "Finish me.."
    I'm going to bring it out as soon as the snow clears.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

brEad likes this.
  23. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

Just read the whole thread. Man have you got projects! This thread has it's interesting points, not near as good as the Chrysler. I think the fins are a turn on and the drivetrain choices in the Buick are a turn off for many. Most dislike an LS more than the diesel. Personally like the diesel. Happy Trails !

24. About the Hot Rods To Hell truck arm kit: Did you have to modify the frame for that front crossmember? I looks that way from your pics. I've got a 56 Buick I'm putting a 700r4 in and trying to figure out the easiest way, truck arm kit or 4 link? I actually already have all the pieces except that crossmember that the arms bolt too, but if I have to hack up the frame for that thing to fit, seems like a 4 link might be a better way to go.. Thoughts?

25. I really enjoy both of your threads on your project. I like where you are headed with the Buick. When complete this will be a dependable and fun driver.

BrandonBerkosky01 likes this.
  26. pvfjr

pvfjr
    1. Hydro Tech

Someone has to ask...
    What's happening with the Buick? Most of the pics in this thread don't seem to work, but I like what I've seen!

27. As much as I would like to keep things more updated on the H.A.M.B. I can’t stand the photos portion. Whether it’s the pain in the ass way you have to upload or the way they just all turn to red X’s it’s like a big waste of time for me.
    That being said… Thanks for asking! Haha. My life is waaaaay more complicated than it was when I started that car.
    I’m 35 now. Wife, kid, self employed towing and automotive shop.
    I don’t have a minute to spare.
    But I fight the good fight. We are still plugging away on the 1960 Chrysler as for the Buick I have abandoned it and it has turned into a parts car.. I know what you’re thinking.. damn shame.
    Not so. It’s still inside the garage at my house. But I was so deep in that car, it was so far apart and I didn’t like some of the things I did(rack and pinion) and I saw no end in sight.
    Well a few months ago, April 2022 I found another one. Exact same car. So I started from scratch. This time I got smart. Concentrate on mechanical. Things I excel at. So I cannibalized the original Buick to get this one going.
    The new Buick has all the rear suspension with the 9” from the other car, 6.0/4l80 is installed, I’m onto the wiring. I expect to be driving the car this spring.
    No sense posting it on here bc it’s all modern stuff and the pictures are a waste of time.

I really appreciate you asking how it’s going, I’m very active on Facebook and on tiktok my name is Mr. Dunn. If you would like to see what I’m up to.

bobss396, ffr1222k and SS327 like this.
  28. SS327

SS327

How is the Chizzler going? Haven’t seen it in quite a while. The parts car must have helped some? I enjoy your threads and pictures.

ffr1222k likes this.
  29. I just updated the Chrysler thread. It’s coming along. We try to do 2 hours a week. The parts car was a huge help. Thanks for asking!

ffr1222k and SS327 like this.