Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My new kustom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by hombres ruin, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

2. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

Perfect! I think before chopping this one I'd start looking for a second one.

3. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

I sold the 50 . I loved it but it was time for something older . I have always loved the early ford kustoms from the 40s to very early 50s. So I decided to sell the shoebox, buy a engagement ring , propose and get the 41

4. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

5. hombres.. I'm pretty sure Jesse's coupe was a long door. ..Not as difficult a choice regarding the chop as the roofline isn't quite as exquisite in stock form as the short door. Jus' sayin' - you've still got a tough choice while you cruise that sled!
    Joker's examples show three shorts and a long. I think it's tougher to get the short door chop done right.. The key to getting either correct is that doggone quarter window (as well as the "slope" of course).

Dave

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Leave it alone. Quit while you're ahead and all that other shit. That car is perfect as is.

olscrounger and Okie Pete like this.
  7. LBCD

LBCD

Did you install the deluxe hood ornament or the car came with it? I checked out your build pics on Instagram and saw the pic of the nose....mine has the larger non script ornament...the deluxe badge is clean!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SCH-I535 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  8. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Ibcd.. the badge on mine is original . Is yours a super deluxe ? The whole ride is super clean and rust free. I love the fact yours has the V8 logo

9. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Yes your right about that. Slope and flow into the trunk on a chop on a ride like this is massively important . I have seen some chops hat have suffered sag between the bottom of the window and the start of the trunk. But I will spend time contemplating the pros and cons as I cruise this ride in the summer

10. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

This is me(hat) and my buddy Tim from moonshine metal in San Diego. This master fabricator is responsible for the lowering .

Attached Files:

11. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

I have a new air cleaner and new national flipper caps to set that post war taildragger look. The air cleaner is a hand made piece by grace and co. Very nice cleaner and amazing workmanship

Attached Files:

12. Sweet & Low

Sweet & Low

Very Cool!!! When I was a kid growing up in SD, the neighbor behind our house had a slammed short door 41 painted purple primer. looking at your car sure brings back some cool memories. I will be looking for it around SD.

13. HD DUDE

HD DUDE

14. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Thanks.. yep I will cruising SD in the 41. Be great to cruise together sometime!

15. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Thanks.. from one Aussie to another.. cheers

16. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

I added this ,what I believe to be a Fenton after market chrome dash piece to the 41. It was a absolute pain in the ass to install. Had to drop the radio and main gauge panel to get to the trim screws of the original trim. Does anyone know the history of these after market trim prices. I heard Fenton and cal custom made them. Can't find hardly anything on them

Attached Files:

17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Man after my own heart! There were more than a few '41s, and even some '46-'48 Coupes around my Santa Clara, CA home town. I noticed the numbers of them in '49-'50, when I was quite young...Their low rear stance, the box skirts and dual exhausts with pencil tips, Appleton Spots...Local hot rod pilot Harry Angelo had just gotten married, kept his '29 roadster, and bought a 2 year old '48 Club Coupe, dropped rear, pipes, box skirts, whitewalls, and 'Bar-Moons'. (flipper caps) Shiny black, the car just seemed to be 'slipping by' when he'd pass the house...pipes rumbled, sounded like a 'speed boat', kinda looked like it too, with the 'nose-high' attitude.

So, I'm talking about a nice late-'40s mild custom, and my lifelong bud Mark says, "Let me GIVE you my rust free '47 Fordor. Just finish the front crossmember, install the Chassis Engineering kit at rear, and drop your engine in..."
    It was too much to deny...
    Just last week, pal Tracy sold me a pair of box skirts, originals. One bracket broken, easy fix. I mentioned I needed a left rear fender, mine's really toast...Tracy produced a real straight one, bargain basement price. Woo-Hoo, I finally have me the makin's of a Taildragger!
    ...and room for my kids, OR theirs. Grandkids LOVE hot rod picnic outings...

So... 'HOMBRES RUIN': Are these 'National Flipper caps' being repopped? Where??? Thanks...Your Coupe is faithful to my memory of these '41s in Santa Clara back then. One of them was owned by a kid that worked at the Shell gas station, he parked it right around my corner where my playmates and I could study it...

18. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

That thing's tough as nails.

19. Erwin

Erwin

Awesome chops can certainly be worked in a variety of designs to a given car or in this case '41 Ford coupe. All good designs have a mathematical pattern. Those that don't have zones where dimensionally they're outside the limit of that pattern. If you do not stray outside the dimension of the pattern, you've succeeded. An outstanding job needs this just as well as quality craftsmanship. Some of the customs that have hung on to their design pattern through the chop process use an English wheel to get the job done. The shape you need to complete the job might have to be created if a parts car isn't able to provide what's needed. These comments come from my personal observation of chop top machines and the people kind enough to show photos of their project. I have not chopped a car or truck. The '41 coupe has all the double compound curves transitioning from the roof- to -deck, front- to -back, and the quarter glass, cross-car. My theory is ,you want to hang on to all that after the profile is lowered. The car still continues to be what it is after it's chopped. We're not necessarily talking radical restyle here, just lowering the roof profile of the vehicle. Though you could step up to the Matranga style top and it applies. Nick Matranga's Merc is an example of a custom that fits the criteria. I personally believe windshield angle needs to increase to defeat the illusion of a more vertical A-pillar after its height is reduced. Just enough and not too far unless that's the look you aim for.

20. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Hi mike thanks for the reply and great story. I am happy my 41 sends you back in time and is as you say faithful to the taildraggers of the day . The flippers are original national caps I got from Paul garland in Sacramento. I had them chromed at Escondido plating. The late 40s kustom is such a beautiful machine , refined , smooth and full of character. It really is a less is more type deal. I did the 50s kustom with a 50 candy apple shoebox. I have pics on my profile. But looking at rik hovings page and his custom car chronicle really inspired me to go forward with this ride

21. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Here is the 41 the other day and the new trim all buttoned up.

Attached Files:

22. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Some more

Attached Files:

23. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Here is the flathead with a new Stromberg 97 and air cleaner by grace and co. All handmade and such a beautiful air cleaner. Also a pic of the shift knob,it's a Bakelite knob with a 1941 hobo mercury dime placed on the end.

Attached Files:

24. LBCD

LBCD

This car just keeps getting better!

25. Hot car, love it.

26. "Geez, what a beautiful machine!".

Dave

27. Mac30

Mac30
    1. S.F.C.C.

Black 41's are the best. Really dig your car stance. I have the struggle within to go lower with mine but I feel current stance fits.

Sent from my Pixel using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

504640 and rodncustomdreams like this.
  28. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Thank so much

LBCD likes this.
  29. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Thanks Dave. It's a labor of love but aren't all kustoms..I have been so inspired by the late forties very early fifties tail draggers, the Lopez 41, calori 36, zaro 41, andril merc , Marcia Campbell's 42. Such clean flowing lines and stance

30. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

You know I agree .. black 41s look great ,the color really lends itself to the stance and body mods like chop and seam fills. It gives the car the going fast standing still look. I had a struggle as well with the stance but further investigation on rik hovings site cemented my belief in the speed boat stance. Classy and classic , less is more is the way to go

olscrounger and rodncustomdreams like this.