Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Alternator on a blown flathead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alteredpilot, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Have a customer who bought a 40 merc with a Weiand 4-71 blower on the flathead. The alternator is mounted to the driveshaft which creates mucho problems when sitting in traffic, or any other time the engine is running but the car is not moving. or moving real slow..

what nifty solutions are there for mounting an engine driven alternator with the blower, or is he gonna be stuck taking the blower off?

thanks for your input.

2. squirrel

squirrel

post a picture of the motor, so we can see what you have to work with.

Here's one way to do it, but who knows if it will work on that one?
    blower.jpg

3. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

PM rosevillecarl here on the HAMB. He's got a sanitary 36 p/u with a blown flathead in it. My guess is that he could offer some good suggestions or maybe he'll see this thread and chime in.

4. zorro4153

zorro4153
    from Pa

Here is how I have it on my flatty IMGP1745.JPG

5. squirrel

squirrel

It would take some work....but you could probably modify a pulley to bolt to one of the water pumps, and make a bracket to hang an alternator off the front of the motor, above/in front of the driver side head.

6. i don't think that is a 4-71 supercharger

i googled "weiand supercharger flathead" and came up with Roadrunner engineering. i see they offer an alternator

comparing the pictures you posted and the pictures on their website i believe that supercharger setup came from them

http://www.roadrunnerengineering.com/images/Catalog 140601.pdf

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  7. squirrel

squirrel

No, it's not a GMC blower, it's a little blower.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Weren't the Weiand's based on the dimensions of a 6-53? My fuzzy memory seems to recall that.

9. squirrel

squirrel

It could be, it looks similar.

But it sure ain't a 4-71

10. 4-71, 6-53, whatever it takes.
    It is a Roadruner set up. Talked to the owner over there and he's going to set us up with all the necessary stuff to get this thing charging again.

Thanks guys!

11. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Duh...I don't see the problem. My blown flattie uses a fabricated McCullough mount on the drivers side head and the generator is in a stock location..
    Merc 2.png My point is I just picked a spot and made it work. That's what hotrods (projects) are for. Just make it happen!

12. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

I think his problem is elsewhere.
    I drive my alternator (Denso 55 amp) off the rear U joint area and have absolutely NO problems whatsoever. I use an Odyssey battery mounted under the rear seat (32 Tudor sedan). The alternator "turns on" at 15 mph. I didn't want the look of an alternator on the engine & hate things being offset.
    Unless this guy has some real high current draw device, and likes to sit in traffic playing a 1000 watt stereo,I can't see the problem.
    OR, get a bigger battery...