Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Sexiest Dragster of the 50s?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Paint_Rep

Paint_Rep

Stogy and Deuces like this.
  2. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

Syndicate Scuderia.jpg

Todd553, Stogy, Deuces and 14 others like this.
  3. Agreed. Jocko's 'liner was pure sex on wheels, and for being built in the 50's was way ahead of anything else in the innovation and looks department.

Stogy, jnaki and Spoggie like this.
  4. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Don't know if this will work, found it on my photo album, but don't know who to give credit to....

Sent from my SM-G930P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Attached Files:

Stogy, Deuces, The 39 guy and 2 others like this.
  5. Dunno, but Ohanesian takes best pushcar.. Aussie '50's rails are few, and, generally, not what you'd call pretty. There was a bare T35 Bugatti with 'vette 283, that was pretty.

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I purposelly used b&w photos because most of the colored ones are too new looking to tell whether restored or clones.
    I did say it was the sexiest didn't I.

[​IMG]

I'll let @Dean Lowe fill in the blanks.

[​IMG]

My favorite iteration.
    Now that's sexy!

[​IMG]

Donut Dave, Stogy, Deuces and 7 others like this.
  7. sololobo

sololobo

I drooled over these icons in the little books and saw a few run in California in the late fifties and early sixties. What a thrill

Stogy likes this.
  8. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

It'd have to be Jockos' 'Liner. Which has already been mentioned.
    A very close 2nd would be the MagWinder, by Kent Fuller.
    Marcus...

Stogy and hugh m like this.
  9. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Some great ones mentioned already. I've always been partial to Bobby Langley's Scorpion I. Maybe because it's a Texas car.

[​IMG]

Stogy, Deuces, Speed Gems and 6 others like this.
  10. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Great memories of very cool drag cars. I definitely was fortunate to be able to see these cars at the drags. For a young kid, impressive was not the word, outstanding would be more like it. For Gary R. and DDDenny, here is a retrospective of one of my favorites in all of the early days of drag racing. The Speed Sport roadster was so cool and sleek. It just looked fast, even sitting still.

Yes, I saw Jocko's car in person at his shop in Long Beach and it was a nice design. But, to me, it never lived up to its fame and glory like the Speed Sport Roadster. That red, rear engine, roadster took on everyone and usually won. All the while looking like it was ready for a take off on an aircraft carrier.

Jnaki
    Not only did it look good, but it was so loud just idling in the pits and racing. It definitely is one of my favorites. There have been many copies of a rear engine roadster everywhere. Prince + Sinead O'connor said it best: "Nothing compares to you..."

Stogy, Ron Funkhouser and Dean Lowe like this.
  11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

DSCN9425 (1).JPG - California Hot Rod Reunion 25th Anniversary

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Stogy, Deuces, 1940Willys and 5 others like this.
  12. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

I am honored--simply via restoration--to be included in this group. My first choice would be the Syndicate Scuderia, followed by Glass Slipper and then Speed Sport II. But so far, you guys have picked all the right ones, for sure.
    Cheers, Pat Ganahl

knucklenutz, Stogy, bowie and 2 others like this.
  13. Junji, the shot of Red racing Tony Waters is a classic. Apparently we are including roadsters in this thread, so Tony Waters "Giant Killer" blown Desoto T is very deserving of a place here.

Stogy and jnaki like this.
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Dean, I really was on the fence due to the title sexiest "dragster".
    I included the Speed Sport car for a few reasons, which I'm betting you will concur.
    The fact that it is one of the earliest, and nicely turned out cars and the fact that it was so competitive with the fuel dragsters in top eliminator.
    Just wish I had been born ten years earlier to have witnessed it.

jnaki likes this.
  15. Pete L.

Pete L.
    from New Jersey

Stogy, Deuces, RigorMorris and 2 others like this.
  16. [​IMG]
    Many have given the nod to The Glass Slipper, here's a pic of it vs. a short chassis dragster.
    So many beautiful cars on this thread. Pure art at it's finest.

17. Denny, I do concur. The Speed Sport roadster was one of the most significant cars on a drag strip in the late fifties. At one point Red broke Emery Cook's absolute top speed record, and for a time the roadster was the worlds fastest drag car. The blown version is my favorite because it introduced the world to Red's air scoop.

Stogy and jnaki like this.
  18. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

The "Boing!" is great but there is none better than Jack William's Syndicate Scuderia. Period.

D type likes this.
  19. Daddys Auto Body Built in Burbank by Kent Fuller and other kids
    [​IMG]

1947knuck, catdad49 and Jet96 like this.
  20. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

That was on display for last years 2016 Hot Rod Reunion at the Hotel we stayed at in Bakersfield.
    Quite a work of art, neat to be up close and admire the detail.
    A beautiful piece of drag racing history for sure.

21. seniorspeed

seniorspeed

The neatest dragster I saw was the CHEVY TWO MUCH twin engine dragster of Jack Moss of Amarillo, Texas in 58/59 at the Grand Island, Nebraska dragway. Awesome!

22. jnaki

jnaki

Hey PB,
    I am glad someone likes the new Iacono FED dragster. It is a wonderful rehab project we all know from the high standards of Pat G. I saw the original FED in the pits and it looked different than all of the rest. So, I just happen to be in the stands filming at Lions in 1960 and saw this orange flash with an unusual sound blasting off of the line. The original Ike Iacono FED at Lions in 1960.
    upload_2017-4-24_4-33-42.png
    Jnaki

Stogy likes this.
  23. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

This one looks the best to me, but it's almost too good to be from the 50s, eh? Gary

24. It was a neat car and from what I have read it was a real labor of love for Pat to restore it. I don't know how old I was but it seems like I saw it make a pass or two up north, perhaps Half Moon Bay.

As I recall from reading about the car Iocono had a kid working for him that ran if for a while in green livery. Called it the pickle or something.

Stogy likes this.
  25. jalopy45

jalopy45

How about the "Shoehorn dragster" out of Falon NV? Been chasing the remains for years and just found out it was crushed in a junkyard.

Attached Files:

Stogy, Deuces and 1947knuck like this.
  26. jnaki

jnaki

Hello JJ,
    What happened to the famous scoop?
    Jnaki
    upload_2017-4-26_15-23-4.png upload_2017-4-26_15-23-16.png

Stogy likes this.
  27. jalopy45

jalopy45

Here's the Shoehorn vs the Glass Slipper in Medford Or. [​IMG]

Stogy and Deuces like this.
  28. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-4-27_4-36-5.png upload_2017-4-27_4-36-48.png upload_2017-4-27_4-37-2.png
    Hey Dean,
    (OK to add in this modified roadster in the sexiest thread, the Speed Sport Roadster included)

Tony Waters light, purple, roadster was one of our favorites at Riverside and Bakersfield. That purple roadster was such a complete race car. It looked good, plus, it was also loud and fast ! The crew always looked sharp with their matching purple, Bakersfield Smokers, Inc. jackets over the all-white outfits. In those days, for the Top Eliminator trophy races, this purple roadster took on everyone, FEDs included.

Jnaki

It is too bad we never saw them race at Lions in Long Beach. But, at their home grounds in Bakersfield, We saw him doing well until the Speed Sport Roadster showed up during eliminations.

HISTORY OF THE LATE, TONY WATERS: In 1954, Tony built a crankshaft driven, supercharged DeSoto motor and put it into his 1925 Model T track roadster, which came to be known as the “Giant Killer.” A founding member of the Smokers Car Club of Bakersfield, Tony and his partner Jim Shughrue, became the guys to beat at the tracks around the Westcoast. With help from Irv and Gary Guinn of Bakersfield, Tony dominated the Roadster Class and ended up as the runner up in the 1st March Meet in 1959 at Bakersfield. (obit: Bakersfield 2012)
    (below, in the dark final 1959 race)
    upload_2017-4-27_4-39-54.png

photo credit: We Did It For Love
    upload_2017-4-27_4-40-46.png

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    Stogy likes this.
  29. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Any FED body designed by Steve Swaga.

Stogy and catdad49 like this.
  30. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

I met Tony Waters at Bonneville a few years ago. I'd always been a fan of him and his roadster. We talked for a while, and I was embarrassed to say – "Tony, I can't remember, but years ago I remember that your roadster held either the Top Speed or E.T. record, not just for roadsters, but for all-out dragsters, too. Which one was it?"

He replied, "Both."

Stogy, Dean Lowe and jnaki like this.