Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Question about a chassis for sale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rodderick, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Rodderick

Rodderick

I have a running and driving 1940 Ford chassis with a dropped axle, leafs removed in the rear, bones have not been split, and 8BA, tranny, 40 ford wheels which have been powder coated red and wide whites and a nice rubber rake that I am taking out of my car what do you think it might be worth?

Attached Files:

2. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does the chassis number/paper work stay with your car? If so, it will affect the price and maybe scare some folks off. Just my 2 cents.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. Rodderick

Rodderick

I am putting the body on a new chassis with an updated drivetrain so if you are asking would the title go with it then no it would not.

4. Rodderick

Rodderick

With that being said what would you say it would be worth? If you had another decent body you could have a nice driving, very good stanced ride in an easy weekend.

5. I have a buddy that bought one last fall that sounds like your twin in Corvalis Oregon. He paid $2,500.00 and it came with the complete steering column and the numbers matching Oregon title.
    The Wizzard

6. If you sell the chassis where is your VIN shown? Be sure to talk to your DMV early.

Charlie Stephens

LOU WELLS and H380 like this.
  7. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Smart thinking on this post, not sure what Tennessee laws are but here in Kalifornia you'd have to have a miracle with the CHP happen to get it registered without smog requirements with no VIN. Most people would just as soon put a pistol in their mouth than confront the DMV system.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  8. Problem I see is someone now has a running 40 Ford chassis with numbers. He jumps through some hoops and gets it registered with a new body on it. He now has a perfectly legal car with valid numbers. You have a car with the same numbers that appear nowhere on your car.
    Which guy would you rather be??

LOU WELLS and olscrounger like this.
  9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I'll give ya $100 to get it out of your way.:D

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So, you're planning on putting the serial number from the original frame on the new frame, and leaving the old frame with the numbers removed, for sale?

11. A smart DMV person would insist that you have the local police apply acid to the frame to recover the number. Then I assume there are laws about tampering with VIN numbers. I think there will be a work around but you need to start working with the DMV early. Remember when you read my comments that I live in California where the laws are different.

Charlie Stephens

LOU WELLS likes this.
  12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Using the VIN/serial number from one car, on another car, is a FEDERAL FELONY, that means all 50-states.

You can replace a frame. That procedure is up to the state or province that you live in. It may require that the original frame be destroyed.

13. too many fords

too many fords
    from Las Vegas

In Nevada, having the frame is having the car. might be better to part it out...

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  14. mkubacak

mkubacak

I just this week bought a 1946 Ford chassis with engine, transmission, front and rear axles, and the steering column and wheel. The guy that I purchased it from works at a hot rod shop. He said the body is being placed on an all new chassis and running gear. They had the DMV come down to the shop and the new chassis now has the vin from the chassis I purchased. I did not ask if they attached a plate to the new chassis or exactly how that worked. The frame I have still has the original VIN. He said the DMV stated to never modify a VIN. This frame would not be able to be titled in Texas now, but the DMV guy said some states would allow it to be titled since it would be a unique VIN in that state, Take that for what it is worth.

I have pulled the engine(has less than 3000 miles on a rebuild), the transmission, the front and rear axles, and the steering. I am putting the really clean frame with what looks like a brand new gas tank and full exhaust up for sale. not sure if anyone will want it, but someone with a rusted out frame might be able to use it.

too many fords likes this.
  15. When in doubt about Vin numbers always go talk to your local D,M,V. I've been mixing things up over 40 years and have always found the D,M,V more than willing to help me out. I have never worried about braking any laws, they all have ways around them as long as you know how to do it. That's where the D,M,V comes in. It's really no big deal. If your trying to do something illegal witch installing a New Chassis is not you already know your doing it.
    The Wizzard

bobwop likes this.
  16. patterg2003

patterg2003

Some chassis manufacturers offer to provide the chassis with a serial number that can be registered. If you read Fatman Fabs notes on the lower page here under options available that is one example. http://www.fatmanfab.com/product/1935-1940-ford-chassis
    If you are buying a chassis then this may be a way to have the new frame registered to your body and let the title go with the chassis once the build is legal. A conversation with the state DMV may help.
    Heinzman Hotrods sell refurbished 1940 Ford frames and they might tell you how they cope with serial numbers.
    If you are building a frame there must be some regulations around providing it an identifier as well.

17. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Without the title, its just parts.
    So whatever you think it would get as parts, is it's value, for your area.
    Selling it as a rolling frame for a body would be wrong in many ways

18. verde742

verde742

?????????????????? :eek: what did you say? in the last sentence?

Bandit Billy likes this.
  19. I'll add this from first hand experience. Not all re assigned Vin numbers require your car being called an assembled Vehicle and being required to pass Smog test's. I know for a Fact that doing things right with a 40 Ford or anything else, they will remain correctly titled according to actual year of said car.
    The Wizzard

20. I am just supposing here and this is not a recommendation or advice of any kind. Soooooooo

If someone just happened to have a Ford title and a body but no chassis and lived in a state where the title was from and that state didn't go looking for numbers at the time of title transfer, then that frame may have some value. I have even heard of guys changing the numbers on a chassis to match the title, but I would not know anyone who would do that personally.

Otherwise I am going to have to say that the frame isn't worth a lot other than do someone who needed parts from it and not really need the frame at all.

21. I feel some of the above comments are being made by people who have never worked direct with there D.M.V. I know how things work here in my home state, it may very in other states and is why I say go talk with them before you start tearing things apart or installing a used Frame in a car you have a title to. You may be shocked to find out they actually might be of some help.
    The Wizzard

Bandit Billy and patterg2003 like this.
  22. I have in several states.

My experience with Calif was always a nightmare. I guess it was pretty easy for a while for guys like Coddington.

In Missouri if you are not using an out of state title its pretty easy. It is actually pretty easy (out of state titles) if you know someone that is willing to bend the rules, numbers inspection can be done by state authorized safety inspectors. I don't know any of those guys.

Kansas can be easy if you know your way around the system. But it can also be difficult if you are registering an out of state vehicle. I know of a few guys who the state inspector kicked their car because it was not stock.

A lot of states don't do a numbers inspection if you possess a state title. Most states won't balk at a frame swap if you already own the car. But if your serial/vin number is on the frame and you happen to get stopped by a cop who is mildly savvy and is a butt you can have some real problems.

Now just for the Missouri guys and grins. it is seldom enforced here but it is not legal to install an engine in a vehicle that is older than the vehicle. So lets suppose that you had a '55 Chebby and you decided to use the blue flame out of a '54 Corvette. Not legal.

23. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I guess that rules out putting that full blown flatty in a C4 Corvette body to piss of the gold chainers then, huh? :eek::p:D

24. LOL :D :D

25. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

26. You're in TN, I'm in TN. Check your PM's and get back with me.