Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Year of Fordor Murray body

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jeff McFadyen, Apr 20, 2017.

1. jeff McFadyen

jeff McFadyen

IMG_5876.JPG IMG_5877.JPG IMG_5878.JPG IMG_5879.JPG IMG_5880.JPG Ok.... editing now. I apologize for my lack of information. First, my name is Jeff. I have just made the fortunate switch to the jalopy world due to an unfortunate set of circumstances. All my life I had been fascinated by muscles cars, which are great don't get me wrong. But I was paid by the family in cars for a job I did for a customer of mine that passed away before the job was completed. There was no money so cars it was.
    30 model A pick up
    2 Murray bodies
    29 coupe
    All in fair shape. The Murray was partially restored 30 yrs ago, interior and rolling chassis with motor. Unfortunately it sat with a broken window and raccoons moved in. We all know what happened from here. Anyway I have started work on the coupe and turning it into a 50's hot rod along with the pick up for my mrs. Nailhead for the coupe and flathead for the pickup. Sooooooo....... that being said I have to sell the fordor so I have room.
    I am having a terrible time trying to figure out the year with many people telling me what they believe it is. With so many different opinions I figured the best way is to source a professional here. I have concluded it is a Murray body due to the rounded over windows. The fenders may not be for this body. This is where I am stuck however. My efforts on the internet have left my wheels spinning. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance, Jeff.
    Ps..... I'm not too sure how I feel about joining the jalopy world right now. It's on a totally different playing field than the 60's and 70's muscle cars. I can tell you this, I am almost broke and loving every minute of it!
    Pss..... last night I bought a 36 Ford pick up to sink more money into!!! I LOVE IT!!! I'm also in need of fenders, lol
    Damn you hot rodders!!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  2. Pictures would increase the odds of determining the year of manufacture....

I can say with some level of confidence that it's NOT a 1928!

clunker and patmanta like this.
  3. Need pics, and an intro. Both would help.

4. jeff McFadyen

jeff McFadyen

Ok updated in my first post.

5. Looks like a '29 to me.

Dave Mc likes this.
  6. 30/31. 29 has this cowl.

image.jpeg

7. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

It is a 28 or 29. The cowl on the fordors are different than the cowl of a 28-29 tudor or coupe.

koolkemp and Dave Mc like this.
  8. Learned something new. Thanks for the info.

hey I think that the raven and I are coming to see you. Can I dig in your stash?:D

9. Here is a photo from the MAFCA sight that shows what you have: http://www.mafca.com/gallery/29FordorPS.jpg I am not able to tell if it is a '28 or '29 but post your question on ford barn and they will know what to tell you to look for.

Charlie Stephens

10. I would just about imagine that if there is a difference in the 28 and the 29 it would be real subtle.

11. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

29 with 30 front fenders the 29 Murray and Briggs Sedans and Cabriolets had the smooth Cowl with the Raised bead body line continued onto the hood

12. According to what I have researched, Murray never built a 4-door sedan in 1928 for Ford....

13. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Sure you can dig around in my stuff. But ya better hook a trailer to Raven's truck so you can haul a bunch back with you!

14. We'll be coming in the silverado and I'll have a trailer. Our days of hauling an entire car in the bed of a truck are sliding into my rear view fast.

I discovered a couple of garnish molding that I thought I had and don't.

15. Charlie, Your example is a Briggs. Murrays have an arched window opening at the top. And the only 4-door I have seen in my limited research for '28 is a Leatherback.

patmanta likes this.
  16. Is this better? http://www.mafca.com/gallery/28fordorLS.jpg

Charlie Stephens

brett4christ likes this.
  17. jeff McFadyen

jeff McFadyen

Well it seems as though you guys had it figured out. I did take your advice and went one step further and phoned mafca. I spoke with Jim Connor from Texas for the better part of an hr. He confirmed it was a 29 along with every other detail of the car. Also confirming the 30 fenders. We pulled the number off the motor to confirm, May of 1929. The body most likely manufactured in the U.S. and shipped to Canada for assembly on a Canadian chassis. Thank you for all your help. I look forward to many more conversations to aid me in the future.

18. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

You can't confirm anything on a model A by engine number. Engines were changed like a pair of dirty socks. Very few A's have the original engine. I did have one though. A 1931 tudor.

19. Thanks, Charlie! I learned something new today. Nice looking Murray!!!

Hope I didn't ruffle you feathers! Absolutely didn't intend to. Apologies if I did!