Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Another 327 question, 1966

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Oilguy, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Oilguy

Oilguy

I had a short block rebuilt along with heads for my 62 Impala. It is a 66 motor, 275HP, and I am nearing installation. I wrote down all the casting numbers and date codes for future reference. On the back of the block this series of letters is part of the casting: CONV1. The number may be the letter I or L. The block is 3858180, J75. Just for educational purposes, does anybody know what the CONV means? Anybody?

Attached Files:

2. That sounds like an @squirrel question. he has all those old reference books.

3. squirrel

squirrel

tells you which conveyor the casting was made on...is what I've learned over the years.

It's one of the casting marks that doesn't really matter today.

4. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Bitchin' engine!! I built a similar one in 2015.

Oilguy likes this.

5. Oilguy

Oilguy

Thanks Squirrel. It was something I never paid attention to before.

6. Oilguy

Oilguy

It will go into this thing. Another "winter project".

Attached Files:

7. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Equally bitchin' car!!

8. Oilguy

Oilguy

Thank you Big.

9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

That 62 almost looks like my older sister's, boyfriend's car at the time, around 1970 or so. He had put a 360 HP 396 into it, and kept breaking the trailing arm mounts on the rear end at the welds. I bought that engine for my 56 Utility Sedan, first as a street car, and latter as a Pro Bracket car. He then put the 327 that originally was in the car, back in. And like squirrel said, "conveyor one". I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

10. Oilguy

Oilguy

Thank you Butch; wasn't sure if the Squirrel was joking with me or not. I was hoping it meant convertible, that way it would be worth as much money as a CL Vette motor.

11. squirrel

squirrel

No, I don't joke about important things....like engine block information.

deuceman32, 325w and 302GMC like this.
  12. Oilguy

Oilguy

I certainly appreciate the information and your contributions to the forum. It just seemed like it made too much sense so I was wondering about it.

13. slowmotion

slowmotion

That's a really sharp '62 in a less seen classy color combination. I'm a little partial though, had a couple..:D
    Squirrel knows his stuff, especially when running the bowtie #s.

14. Oilguy

Oilguy

Thanks for the comments Slow. One of my favorite parts of this forum is when someone asks for help with casting numbers and such. He usually has the answer. As far as the color of the car, my first car was the same except the top was body color. I looked for another for the last twenty years; missed two opportunities but scored this one. I also had a black SS during the interim which I sold. So this is my third 62.

slowmotion likes this.
  15. DrJekyllMrHyde

DrJekyllMrHyde

I have an engine similar to yours, year,CID, HP., (well not so nice to watch as yours), in the back of the engine casting there´s a breather hole for which i need a grommet and a checkvalve (PRVvalve)
    Does anyone (or you) know what part no. to search for and where to buy?
    The valve is easy, but the grommet?
    Regards, Uffe, Denmark.

ejgloss likes this.
  16. Oilguy

Oilguy

Not sure what you are referring to but it sounds like the rear vent port ( road draft tube). Mine has a 90 degree elbow held in with a long screw. A vacuum hose leads to a PCV valve at the rear of the carb. If this is what you need, you might try Eckler's, Classic Industries, etc. Some may have used a grommet but I am not familiar with a version such as that but surely others can help.

Attached Files:

deuceman32 likes this.
  17. squirrel

squirrel

also make sure it has the baffle can inside the valley (under the intake manifold)...

283.jpg

olscrounger likes this.