Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects AWB Chevy II build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doctorterry, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

Hey, I have read through your build several times but just to clarify I Cade I over looked it, did you not tie your front subframe to the rear?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Yes. Been thinking this is the way to go.
    Might be too easy though. ;-)

3. KISS is the name of the game.

4. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

I plan on using new tubs... as soon as I get the frame started I'm going to remove all of the rest of the floor and original tubs. I just don't wanna do that until I get the frame in and tied into the rockers.. other wise the dang thing might fall in!!

5. squirrel

squirrel

That's right, no subframe connectors. I did tie the front subframe to the rockers, and added the cage, with sill bars. the cage ties in to the places where the front subframe ties to the rockers, and where the rear spring hangars meet the rockers, so there would be no reason to add another separate bar to connect the front and rear subframes. And besides, there isn't much meat at the back of the front subframe, so it wouldn't add much strength, anyways.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

They are also $1500 and everyone has one...

7. squirrel

squirrel

I like the way you think :)

Doctorterry likes this.
  8. They are pretty easy to build and cost won't be half of what one costs to buy. ;)

9. squirrel

squirrel

But you don't really need to build one, either...just use the parts that are already there, add a few braces, and the springs/axle, and you're done.

10. Only agreed because they are already engineered, I assume, anyway.
    We don't know what your capabilities are yet.
    I'm sure we'll get back to you, one way or the other.

11. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

I plan on building the front clip a lot like the speedWay kit except the drilled axle and a transverse spring! I have a few capabilities... I welded 3 foot extensions to chicken house trusses and added mounting plates to build the shop that the Chevy II is in... ive built a few other toys that took some thinking... I think I am capable of the frame work on the car... I also have a lot of wise old geezers as friends and family to help me out when needed...

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  12. Okay then.Not quite the same thing though.
    I won't even get into the metal working tools you'll need yet, but at least start out with these: 20170419_154830.jpg

loudbang and saltflats like this.
  13. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

I know they aren't the same but they have some useful similarities... squaring things, welding, fitting metal... I'll learn what I need to as I go.

14. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

15. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

[​IMG]

Been busy, finally worked on the Chevy II tonight, got the frame rails tacked together.

"Keep on keepin' on"

TFoch and loudbang like this.
  16. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Cool !! Will be watching and comparing ideas with mine on my Gasser Build.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Never mind .I think I'll just watch for a while.

INVISIBLEKID and loudbang like this.
  18. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

I'm not going to complete the rear part, I don't know exactly where the bumper is going to be since the back half of the car is inexistent

"Keep on keepin' on"

loudbang likes this.
  19. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

[​IMG]

Got one side tacked in.

"Keep on keepin' on"

TFoch and loudbang like this.
  20. squirrel

squirrel

that looks like progress!

Just make sure the doors fit, before you weld it up

saltflats and Doctorterry like this.
  21. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

I'll check and double check again lol. Thanks for the advice. I'm just tacking everything together then I'll make sure everything is square and then weld it up

"Keep on keepin' on"

22. I just have to ask..Why are you putting part of the frame in now?

saltflats likes this.
  23. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

What would you suggest I do?

"Keep on keepin' on"

24. I don't might telling you, hoping you follow. Of course, it would be the first time you did. LOL
    If I were doing this, without a real frame jig, I would at least draw a full size pattern, after I put a back panel on the car, so I knew where I was heading. Set up some particle board on some 2x6's , or even on the floor. Better than nothing. Cut all your angle pieces, and lay one side on the pattern. Just tack it a few times.
    Then lay the other side on top of it, and tack it too. You could clamp them together ,or tack them to one another.
    Skip around when welding them .Flip them top for bottom, with some spacers in between so the welds will clear, and then finish welding them.
    Now, with any luck , you will have two identical frame rails. It will be much easier from there. Now you can use a 3 ft. level, framing square , magnetic angle finder, etc.
    If you can figure out a few cross members, that will help getting the frame into place in one piece..Even some temporary ones for now. Don't finish welding these yet.
    You'll never get everything straight and square, the way you're doing it now.
    To be continued..Maybe.

25. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

It's much more square than you think

"Keep on keepin' on"

tomschev2 likes this.
  26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

When I back-halfed my Nova, I made a pattern (stock trunk and floorpan) out of 1/4" luan and sent it to Art Morrison and had them mandrel bend a pair of rails, fit like a glove.

27. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Hey man I have a a lot of experience in working with less than nothing and I'm not very far away pm me your info and I'll come by and see your progress maybe give you some pointers and if you need or want some help I would be glad to help a young guy out also I have built multiple afx cars and even a record setting land speed car I think you have a decent plan here but with a bit of help I believe this thing will be awesome

Chrome don't get ya home

28. Seriously..Nice gesture on your part.
    He's all yours. Hopefully he'll listen to you better than he listens to me. ;-)

29. neighborkidswillys

neighborkidswillys
    from byron

You know there is probably a more professional way you could have said that, and 90% of the stuff you have also posted on this thread.

1956 F100 likes this.
  30. You want in on this one too? Step right up..Be my guest.