Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 Fiesta Wagon or 1958 Caballero??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55styleliner, Apr 17, 2017.

?
  1. 1957 Fiesta Wagon

88.4%
  2. 1958 Caballero

11.6%
  1. 55styleliner

55styleliner

I found 2 projects and they are comparably priced but the Fiesta wagon has considerably less rust. I am more just asking which is the more desirable car and which is generally thought of as being prettier? The pictures are examples found on the internet and not the projects I would be buying.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

mgtstumpy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Unless your overall budget is not a concern, I'd pick the one with less rust issues. The other deciding factor for me would be small parts like tail lights, lenses, handles, mirrors, unless you're going full custom and doing all this stuff differently. I mainly like the Fiesta because I don't like the dual headlights on the Caballero.

osage orange likes this.
  3. eberhama

eberhama

From a style point of view, if it were '57 olds vs. '57 Buick, it would be hands down the Buick. Since its a 58 Buick, hands down the olds. I don't think there's a whole lot for re-pop parts or sheet metal for either, so the nicer more complete car would win for me from a potential project point of view.

Spoggie and osage orange like this.
  4. The fiesta is more desirable to most and if both are using a stock drivetrain the fiesta will have a better transmission than the Buick. ;)

That said I owned a '58 buick and liked it real well. it was a boat but the 364"nailhead pulled it down the road real well.

bobwop likes this.

5. 55styleliner

55styleliner

Thats funny, I really am not a fan of some of the subtle styling of the 57 Caballero. I dont like the tail lights or the front turn signals. The Olds dash is a big nod toward it.

6. MartyLIYC

MartyLIYC

57 Olds for sure, a little biased maybe since my dad had one and missed it by a couple years being able to get it before it sold. The olds is a cleaner look, the 1958's were to busy with chrome, the 58 olds especially was like night and day from the 57, as automobile magazine put it.. " beautiful to baroque". The 57 Olds has always been one of my favorite cars.

7. LOL if that Buick were a Roadmaster rather than a Caballero it would be in the in the Guinness Book of Records. The Roadmaster made the book for having more chrome than any other production dash in America. :D

wicarnut likes this.
  8. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I have a 58 Roadmaster 2dr that is a very nice car. The roadmaster was not king of 58 Buicks for chrome, the Limited was the king. But getting back to Olds vs Buick, well the Olds has an open driveline, so much easier conversion to other power trains, where Buick has the torque tube setup, which is not an easy conversion. Either one of them would be a nice resto, since there aren't many of these wagons left.

bobwop likes this.
  9. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

I wouldnt want to pay the rechroming bill for either one

10. 55styleliner

55styleliner

Here is the Olds. 95% complete and almost rust free from New Mexico. All of the wagon specific parts are present and in great shape.

IMG_0325.PNG

11. The limited did have a lot of Chrome but the Roadmaster is the one in the book. That was all I was saying.

12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I would take the Olds. I like their engine, trans, drive line, brakes, and chassis better than the Buick. The Olds was about the most ruggedly built, toughest, longest lasting car you could get that year. Everything else being equal, easier to work on and I like their looks. Having less rust is a big big bonus.

Having said that, I can see the appeal of the Buick which was a more expensive car when new. But I would still take the Olds for its practical virtues.

belair likes this.
  13. ken bogren

ken bogren

The Fiesta is elegant, the Caballero is gawdy.

I'd take either one.

14. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Fiesta gets my vote. Wish I had one

Pat

15. belair

belair

58's (all of them) are ugly. The Olds has a better drivetrain to mess with. Olds all the way.

16. Gman0046

Gman0046

Its a no brainer Olds by far. Those 58 Buick tail lights are Fugly.

17. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Olds! Way better looking!!

18. 56madmook

56madmook
    from long beach

With the two you mentioned, 57 olds all the way. I like all 57/58 hardtop wagons . We have both 57 caballero and fiesta. I'd go with the fiesta . Here's our

Attached Files:

19. 56madmook

56madmook
    from long beach

58 Buicks aren't for everyone but that roofline looks good on pretty much any car . [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

OLDS caballero fan but id go for the OLDS

21. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

The olds is for sure the winner here. Less rust, cooler car.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

You asked, "which is generally thought of as being prettier?"

That's like asking which Girl should I ask out? If you're not buying the project to flip, go for the one that turns you on the most, unless the rust in the Buick is too much to handle.
    Ginger or Mary Ann?

wicarnut likes this.
  23. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

The 58 GM wagons are awesome! I've really grown to really appreciate the non-Chevrolet GM cars from 1955 to 1958.

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Olds. Dad had a black 57 Super 88 4 door hardtop with a J-2 in it that was lowered on top of that that I loved To ride in when I was in my teens

25. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    The 57 Olds has some of the look of a Nomad, but so does the 57 Buick. The 58 Buick has been described as "the most chrome gawdiness" in all of GM automotive history. Some of the finished wagons look very well done and look rather cool. But, we are certainly glad that my dad did not buy a 58 Buick.

He did ask his two teenagers if we liked the 57 Buick 4 door wagon...at the time, we let him know that nothing was as good as a two door coupe/sedan. He bought his 57 Buick two door in the next line of Buick purchases. He skipped wanting another car for the next 4 years and bought a 63 Riviera for his next car in the fall of 62.

If you have a 58 Buick Wagon or Sedan, that is fine, because they are nice vehicles. But, they seem to be out of place in the whole Buick/GM lineup during these years. That is a lot of chrome stuff and it is a huge wagon. We all know that those GM cars and wagons had basically the same platform with their slight model variations.

Jnaki
    [​IMG]
    If the photo shows what you might get, like all of the others talking about rust, "Rust Never Sleeps"....Neil Young.

26. scotts52

scotts52

Definitely Mary Ann

Steve Ray, rc57, belair and 1 other person like this.
  27. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

28. Corvette Fever

Corvette Fever
    from Michigan

Love both but the Buick has always been my favorite......of course I tend to be a little on the gaudy side

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

LV 57 SEDAN DE VILLE likes this.