Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods CupHolder Taboo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrPhat40, Feb 17, 2017.

1. I'm sorry to hear that.
    I was raised by non smokers. That's where the change always went. Smoking got all my grandparents though.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Sorry, Didnt want to drag you guys down. I really enjoy the more light hearted threads here.Thanks for the kind words and lets get back to some funny stuff!
    Just make sure you clean the ash tray out good. The drive through girls get pissed when you hand them sticky and such change.I hide my flip phone in the truck one.Cup holders are just a change to accessories we use now. I love 30 Bentleys.They have a custom liquor cabinet with bottle and glasses but no seatbelts.Holders are just a sign of the times

clunker and loudbang like this.
  3. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

It's ok, I usually find myself crying in a motel bathroom when I'm in Redding, CA, too... LOL!

There are really some good ideas on here. I typically drive about 100-150 miles per day in my '63 Merc, and now more often in the '60 Chev cuz it gets better mileage... The Merc isn't so bad since its got a C6, but the Biscayne has still got a three speed on the column and is a little more difficult to drive with a full hot coffee. Just cruising is no problem, but when your really getting on it, like on an on-ramp or trying to make a light, it can be a handful. Cans and bottles are no prob between the legs, but I tend to squeeze a paper cup and pop the lid off if I hold it there... no carpet to hold the duct tape but that is a great idea and it might work on the seat! As it is now the go-to spot is it lean it on the seat back and against my side, and kinda bunch up my work shirt or jacket around it... spill waiting to happen!

It wouldn't work in my Chevy, but would in cars with a slide out ash tray (the type where the whole drawer comea out and not just the small stamped steel tray): you could find a second ash tray weld/rivet/bolt a cup holder or two to that and keep one of the ashtrays under the seat to swap out any time you need the holder. I wanted to do this in my last VW before selling it..

loudbang likes this.
  4. wicarnut

wicarnut

Interesting/Great thread, I've been using the high tech plastic console style unit purchased from my Italian Hot Rod shop (Wala-Marta, big bucks deluxe style, custom color/black, $6.98) sits on tranny tunnel, has 2 cup holders and a 4" X 6" X 2+" deep area for my cell phone, mints, tums, sun/reading glasses, garage door opener, etc. AND I still like Fuzzy Dice, Gotta have them !

loudbang likes this.
  5. In my 20's, I would ride my street bike with a beer between my legs. Hard to believe I'm alive today.

6. Roll of duct tape is sticky on the edge and holds it in place on the floor, HRP

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Stogy likes this.
  7. 1937chopford

1937chopford

ummmmm that's lightweight but not titanium ;)

loudbang likes this.
  8. Poh

Poh
    from Quincy,Ca.

Says magnesium

9. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Its okay to have a cup holder as long as you are wearing those special underpants or union suit,no earplugs are allowed either. arm must hang out the winda and you dont cruise over 20 mph.

Do what you want...who cares

loudbang likes this.
  10. HRP has the best idea!:cool: Or keep it between your legs, especially when it's cold out. :rolleyes:Spilling it is traditional .:oops:
    Rust1's is perfect also!:cool:

loudbang likes this.
  11. pgj

pgj
    from aurora co.

Drink'in coffee on my way to work is the only thing that keeps me from killing idiot's in the morning. i put a cup holder inside my center console, just drive with the lid open when i need it.

loudbang likes this.
  12. 1937chopford

1937chopford

Well it's not any ium .... it's cheap alloy lol. ;)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    Poh likes this.
  13. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

IMG_4572.jpg 53 car. Flux

JOYFLEA and loudbang like this.
  14. Never2low

Never2low

If you use a stand-off/spacer and bolt, on the small end, so it can pivot, and you can just swing them under the seat and out of site, that would rule!

15. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

I'm getting alittle soft, I go to a U-Pull-it yard with a tap measure when looking for a seat. I test sit in them until I find a comfy one. I also drink a lot of coffee/water and love a cup holder, makes cruising more enjoyable for me and wife.

upload_2017-4-16_7-25-8.png

oldsjoe, deadbeat, wicarnut and 2 others like this.
  16. mike bowling

mike bowling

Not when you're leaving at 4'o clock (am)!

jackalope and loudbang like this.
  17. southerncad

southerncad

Like the looks of the cup holders, but the shifter, looks like it might be a bit hard on your hand when banging shifts:)

loudbang likes this.
  18. IMG_0243.JPG
    Done!

19. John Starr

John Starr

Somehow this all reminds me of a blog post my brother wrote years ago while sailing his sailboat across the Pacific. He posted his recipe for sailor's three-egg omelette. The trick, he joked, was to start with four eggs, then just throw one egg onto the floor right away because, as he said, "That's where it will end up anyway. While cooking at sea, at least one egg always ends up on the floor. So just get it over with."

Sometimes I think there's a similar lesson to be learned with cars and coffee; Just pour some coffee on the floor, appease the gods, and drink the rest of your coffee quickly. No cup holder will ever really offer a spill proof solution.

:)

whiplash1923T, '52 F-3 and loudbang like this.
  20. CoolYourJets

CoolYourJets

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  21. jackalope

jackalope

Thanks for nothing!!! That's one more image I can't UNsee! And I'm not referring to the brunette

And I may even have to reconsider beer as my beverage of choice.

22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7 pages on the topic of cup holders is a little crazy o_O but I have to add, I got pulled over last week for driving my OT 69 Camaro (no cup holders), for no hands on the wheel. I had just left the local Dutch Brothers (amazing coffee that puts Starbucks to shame) and I was accelerating from a light. He could see me drop my right hand from the wheel whilst rowing gears on the tremec. I didn't get ticketed :D since I wasn't driving erratic :rolleyes:, but he said he would if he caught me again.

A plug for cup holders in a car with a manual tranny.

23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Must have bribed him with a donut!

24. CoolYourJets

CoolYourJets

OK, that's hilarious. That reminds me of a song. Watch this video!

Driving With My Knee by Peter Mayer

25. MrPhat40

MrPhat40

Isn't a case the first photo is the one because of the beer(s) while the second one is the reality. Who needs VR when a six pack ah er 12 pack in this case is needed
    MrPhat40

loudbang and jackalope like this.
  26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last time i did donuts in the Camaro it got expensive

Stogy, oldsjoe and loudbang like this.
  27. CoolYourJets

CoolYourJets

I'm hoping @porknbeaner makes her his new avatar!

28. E.F. VaBeach

E.F. VaBeach

Wanted a cupholder for my '48 Plymouth bench seat, didn't want a generic, after-market, modern looking lump that's held on with straps. So I made my own art-deco version out of MDF, matching upholstery material, and old mopar trim parts. The elbow pad is hinged and pulls up for storage.

012017.jpg

29. loudbang

loudbang

Nice Avatar F-4 B ?