Register now to get rid of these ads!

HUBBA HUBBA my 32-4 Tudor tribute to Gramps

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Runnin shine, Jul 15, 2015.

1. sdroadster

sdroadster

When I was in High School a friend of mine had a severely chopped 34 Ford 5 window coupe. He sunk the seat cushions into the floorboards, and fastened them on a framework mounted off the lower channel of the frame. I'll bet he gained 4 inches of headroom. It worked for us...

loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  2. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I will dig out one of my seat bases and see how tall they are. I suspect four or five inches before sitting in them. I know I want the bottom of the tray the padding sits in to be as close as possible to the floor.
    I haven't touched the chop dilemma. Still weighing my options. I may not be able to go lower now that I think about the kids car seats on top of the rear bench seat. But oh boy how I still want it down.
    I'm currently trying to wrap up my bead roller mods. Today I was slotting a bolt hole so I can make the top roller shaft slide in and out for different options with tipping and what not. I guess I'm going to run my spare F1 steering wheel on it for now. The electric motor stuff is pricey.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  3. You got till nov to be IN. The outlaw show down. Tick tock tick tock tick tock.:)

loudbang likes this.
  4. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Bruce, Bruce, bruce... I'll be very hard pressed to even make the Hill Climb this year. Financially a decent stretch. Free time a little difficult(my wife is not very apt at watching our extremely high energy, severely ADHD children, we have no sitters, just me). I haven't touched my car really in over three weeks besides tinkering with those intake spacers. I really need to get at the machine work and porting on my block. I have no clue how I'll afford to build it. I was sick bad over two weeks. I'm working on some drywall in the house supposed to be done before Easter. I seem to be loosing the 4 year olds nap time. And, Bed time keeps getting later and my daughter wakes up three to five times a night lately, sometimes night terrors which are a bitch, sometimes this wakes her brother who a wack job if he gets woke up. She does this usually between 10:00 and 1:00 Prime garage time for me. I seem to be the only one with the magic to get the kids to sleep. But it can be a bitch. Sometimes it takes an hour or two to get them to sleep, excluding dinner, bath, brusha-brusha, and wind down. That's a whole other debacle. So when they are asleep I feel on edge and just pooped, I've aged more in these four years then I did in the last ten. I'm pretty sick of coming in from the garage to put a kid back to sleep especially when the seem to sense I'm out there and wake up more even with no noise(I could just be playing vroom vroom, air wheel and shift). Pretty sure me and the wife don't like each other anymore. Although we probably still respect one another and maybe love but kinda like your sibling or other family member.
    Basically my life sucks, lol.
    [​IMG]
    At least I have a lot of time on the H.A.M.B. and two old Fords. Anyone who dogs on these newfangled phones can go to...
    So getting further west than CO is next to impossible this year. Besides I don't want you fools to get smoked by a Tudor. A morphadite at that. Maybe once I build a 29 AV8? Maybe instead of 32 rails I'll channel it or even 33/34 rails? Maybe I'll fill the wheel wells and section the cowl like Waske-Effect?

loudbang likes this.
  5. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Atta Boy Dad...keep your chin up...;)

loudbang and slv63 like this.
  7. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Off topic still, but at least they photograph well, rugrats!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This thread might as well go down in a blaze of glory.

jerseyboy, loudbang, slv63 and 2 others like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rumble Seaters...:D

Doctorterry and tb33anda3rd like this.
  9. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Woe! I'm not much of a wimp when it comes to danger from motorized activities. But like most I look at things differently as a parent. I never thought on it before but just came to the conclusion that Rumble Seat riding is probably pretty dangerous. Don't roll the car and certainly don't get rear ended by today's drivers. At a minimum you may loose some teeth on the filler panel in front of the lid. Yikes!

Doctorterry, Stogy and slv63 like this.
  10. Just don't let them go to bed. Time to teach em how to weld cut grind.

jerseyboy, Tim, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  11. loudbang

loudbang

THAT made snot fly out of my nose. :eek:

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yupp chopped sedans are safer for all involved for sure...and I guess seat belts and I know you have period ones on the go...
    Finding the time and funding for the projects is always a challenge...your not alone...

loudbang likes this.
  13. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Yeah? Here they were beating my frame(primed) with a sledge hammer and wire brush. They don't quite know what these tools are intended to do yet
    [​IMG]
    Jerks. I obviously had to put the phone down and woop some butt.

slv63, kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  14. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Ya know a little Irish whiskey in a cup of hot coco before bed works wonders! And much cheaper than tranquilizer darts.....

Seriously have been where you are at now. Used to lament the time spent with kids when they were little. It sucks sometimes but it is what it is. Once they are about six the fun begins. They are able to entertain them selves for an hour or two and you can get some work done. Mine are getting to the age now where they will come hang out in the shop for a bit and learn stuff, or at least ask questions.

15. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

If I ever get done welding and assembling this monstrosity I might get back to work on the thirty two four.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

brEad, greaser, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  16. Nice work on that bead roller!

Runnin shine likes this.
  17. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Thanks, it's a little sloppy.
    When all finished it should look alright in hammer tone grey.
    I also added long 1/4" angle to the Woodward Fab side of it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I made the front adjuster a T handle with a larger fine thread bolt. The original was a sloppy fit with square head. The top shaft adjusts in an out now. Longer better bolts for the four shaft supports. And I'll get quality set screws soon. But boy oh boy will I need an motor drive setup.

18. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Too bad you kids are not old enough to drive it. Mine is Tommy powered!

19. Check CL for free treadmills. Their motors and the controls adapt well to bead rollers or so I've read. You might have to play with the gearing.

20. At the rate he's going they will be old enough when it's done. Ohhhh what a burn.....:D

Lol Wyatt with half down what half do you want me to send you first.:) Are you picking up what I'm putting down?;)

21. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

loudbang likes this.
  22. Lol fan? What's that. I am a fan of the dodgers.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Byakk0

Byakk0

My older boys haven't been too interested, but I've been starting my little girl out early.
    Funny about not knowing the proper use of tools. She digs out various tools and says their her 'medical tools'.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

FWIW, I feel your pain. When I get time off it's my job to watch the little kiddo. If I want playtime in the garage I need to figure out how to include her or wait for naptime.

slv63, loudbang, brEad and 1 other person like this.
  24. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

When I chopped my shoebox I did almost all of it after the kids went to bed. 7:30-11:30 every night. It is surpriseing how much you can get done.

loudbang likes this.
  25. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Yes as you already know Matt since your my biggest fan, I have built 90+ percent of the Tudor and all of my pickups chassis during a two hour slice of nap time. I have put in some lite evening welding and such but not near the day shift.
    The other day while rummaging through the attic for Easter junk I pulled down one of my seat bases.
    [​IMG]
    I said before I'm widening these mid century movie theater seats. The backs will get narrowed. I don't know how much of the padding structure will be saved with widening procedure. As is the feel comfy. They are taller than I thought but sink well. The new wool mohair will look awesome but I have to get a better shape out of the foam first. For esthetics I will make a slimmer seat but already it will feel like a go cart driving position.

loudbang likes this.
  26. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Ha! Biggest fan eh? I just understand your pain.

Go cart style should be good. Even with a 120hp flatty it should still be fun.

loudbang likes this.
  27. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

You know I have serious troubles with this thing being slooooooow. Even with 220hp on Nitro. I'm really investing myself in the blower path for its future and it will still be sloooow.
    Well at least my PU will have two to three times the stallions

loudbang likes this.
  28. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Blower is actually a really good idea on a ford flatty.

A guy I know put one on a stock 8BA that smoked a little and it made really good power. He used a 6-53 which is a two lobe design. It fits a flathead like it grew there and is nice and loud and way cheaper than any of the -71 series.

Roger eventually put his on propane to get enough octane after he decked the heads to the point of detonation. The setup and drive was completely home built and ran matched V belts as I recall.

29. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Yep V belts all the way or nothin at all.
    You sure he didn't have a 4v53? They're about 12" long without any snout assembly. A 6 53 looks like I could run all 4 carbs inline.

30. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Scratch that, maybe not.
    Doesn't matter anyway, I think I would mount them in the four square parallelogram fashion.

Ooooh.... 6-53
    [​IMG]
    I'm trying to get a cool pic of a nice 4-53 from a HAMB members 32 from Australia. I'm researching
    I did do something on the hot rod today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This was a brand spanking new repop foot rest. I couldn't have that. More so I couldn't seem to get a original at a poor boy price. I know a lot of guys here are anti aging of cars and parts. I'm a stickler about visual balance. And honestly I find it quite therapeutic uglying up new parts. My new dilemma is how might this look against the new carpet. I really like the exposed plywood floor. But am excited about the carpet I purchased that will go with the steering wheel and dash. It seems weird to only have it in the back seat area just to have cool wood up front, no?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    slv63 and Stogy like this.