Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '27 Roadster Build.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Texas36, Aug 29, 2015.

1. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

I believe it would be a Winfield.

2. Upon further research I found it is only a stock cam. Im leaning towards the isky 400 jr as of now...

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Ive been pretty slow to post an update. With the help from my dad and our neighbors massive tractor, we moved my little shed closer to the house and ran some electricity. I have 120-240V now! Woohoo!

I was going to just buy some new motor mounts, but stumbled upon a '36 Ford crossmember I had laying around. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I think this is cooler than buying new ones... unfortunately I only get about one day a week to drive 70 miles to my Parents to work on my car so sorry about my lack of posting. Im trying my hardest to get this thing driving for the moonshine run next fall!

4. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

keep up the good work young feller. There are plenty of oldsters willing to help. Don't be shy about asking questions.Do it right, you are building a classic. It will be admired for years to come.

5. Good call on the motor mounts. :)

6. Thank you for the kind words. Im fortunate to have some older friends that are a wealth of knowledge about early fords and flatheads. My goal is for a person to look at this car and think it was built in the mid to late 40s and not be a "new" car.

7. Thank you. Its always a good feeling when you have one of those "lightbulb" moments.

8. Now that I have power and lights in my little shop I can start picking up the pace on my car and actually work on rainy days and when the sun goes down.
    Finally got around to welding the tierods to my wishbones. [​IMG]
    Next I Took some scrap steel I scored from a jobsite and made some wishbone brackets. [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG] suspension hung and 7 degrees caster. I love it when a plan comes together.

9. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

10. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Referencing an earlier post about brakes. If you have the late 36 spindles which have the early mechanical brake smaller backing plate flange bolt pattern and the later stub axle you can still go to hydraulic by using the centering rings from the hydraulic brake conversion kits and slotting the mounting holes but not using the bearing spacer as the later stub axle is shorter than the earlier.
    Further, hydraulic brakes were introduced on Fords in 1939 and the hubs were wide five pattern as in 36-38. The hub and drum assemblies you will need will be 37-39 which interchange although there are a couple styles of them. That will work on late 36 spindles as well as 35-early 36 spindles if you use the bearing spacers for the stub axles.

Texas36 likes this.
  11. Thank you for clearing that up for me! I was seriously about to ask this question again. Yes I am using late 36 spindles so this is exactly the info I needed. Thanks again.

Im going to make the trip tomorrow out to my shop and get on this thing again, update coming soon.

12. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

Great job so far, Keep up the awesome work.

Texas36 likes this.
  13. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Good job

Texas36 likes this.
  14. Pete

Pete

Loving this build

Texas36 likes this.
  15. Didnt get much done this weekend. Ended up working on a different project most of the time, but I did weld my rear spring perches on . [​IMG][​IMG] Im not a welder by any stretch of the imagination But I think they came out ok.

One step closer to finally having a roller. Then Ill need to cut a hole in the wall big enough to roll the car out of my shop... lol

brEad, OFT, cactus1 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Good looking build, great plan and parts choices.

Texas36 likes this.
  17. I spent this morning cleaning up my rear spring pack. Im using the typical T rear spring with a few leaves removed.
    I am also using the top leaf from a '36 ford truck rear spring as a spacer. It fits the crossmember like a glove.

Ive always loved the way they would bend the ends of springs back in the day rather than reversing the eyes to lower the rear. I came up with this MacGyver rig to do so because I dont own a traditional hydraulic press. [​IMG] The log splitter's arm doesnt have enough reach so I stacked a 20 ton bottle jack on top and this is what you see here. I know it looks stupid but if it works like a champ, can you really say such a thing? [​IMG] so after the first side came out ok and I was hyped that my crazy contraption worked I moved to the next.

Well thats where my luck ran out. Like an idiot I over-bent the other side and snapped the end off the spring. [​IMG]
    Im so ashamed I ruined a perfectly good T spring!!!!
    I only learn things the hard way it seems.

18. To make up for yesterday's stupid idea I got my motor mounts welded in and painted finally. Then put the motor in to see how she sits. Also trimmed the 32 shell to match the cowl height. [​IMG][​IMG]

19. On this car Im going with a 32 style trans mount. I took an old rear retaining plate and cut the ears off
    [​IMG]

I cant justify spending $600+ on a single crossmember, so a few months ago I went to a friends shop and made a template off of a real 32 K-member. [​IMG]
    Then my dad (He knows how to use technology and I dont) input corrected measurements into CAD. We also conveniently have access to a CNC plasma cutter so.... [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. [​IMG] Still needs to be finished but my shop is a hotbox so Im done for the day. This is about as fancy as my build is going to get haha.

21. bct

bct

Nice!. Looks right at home.

Texas36 likes this.
  22. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

Texas36 likes this.
  23. Thanks guys. Im just happy Im not cutting it out with a hacksaw and cutoff disks.

Does anyone have dimensions for 36 wide five drums OR 37-39? I want to make sure my fronts are 37-39 but cant find physical dimensions.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  24. bct

bct

I can't help at the moment but the 36 is odd looking. It stands out.

25. Crossmember mostly done. My first time metal shaping. Couldn't finish because the welder ran out of wire :( [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

26. Took a couple pics of my front drums incase someone is able to identify them. [​IMG][​IMG]

Felipe Toltecatl likes this.
  27. RAREBIKE

RAREBIKE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pretty sure those are 36 front drums. I'm building one similar though Banger powered, and I have a pair of 39 wide five front drums and backing plates with four excellent wide five rims if you want to PM me. tim

28. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

great looking build, keep up the good work! Have you checked out TxRx labs down near Navigation?

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  29. bct

bct

Im going to agree with 36. Snout looks long.

30. Bummer. So is there any way to convert the early backing plates to hydraulic ? Or is it worth just getting later drums ?