Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Fuzzy Dice and other Add On's 50's-60's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wicarnut, Apr 12, 2017.

1. wicarnut

wicarnut

IMO any 50's Kustom needs Fuzzy Dice, have them in mine, anyone remember hanging a girl's garter or High School graduation tassle from mirror ? Maybe a Milwaukee WI. deal, A lot of cars in 50's-60's had a little dog or cat in rear window that the eyeballs were stop lights and blinkers,(JC Whitney) I put one in my 57 Chevy as a joke/conversation piece, the girls liked them, dingle berry string around front/ rear windows, Did Not have those. The Sun Tach on dash with 3 panel gauge panel under dash standard deal and Floor-shift kit, Hurst made you faster, had that. When I think back on what was a standard, it's a little humorous, But very Kool at the time. While I'm rambling, how about ride height of the month, high in front(high tech twist in spacers) raise back w/ shackles, lower front, (cut coil), back, (blocks over springs) remove front bumper for "Gasser" look, that I did on my 57 Chevy. Not much money, Baby Moon's, red or Black wheels, narrow white walls/ portawalls. Another big trick/must have, have a set of Street slicks on spare wheels, made you faster, they worked and intimidated fellow street racers, also very effective for breaking all of the driveling pieces, local junkyard knew me well LOL any other items I left out, please add to the list, I would think some of this varies depending on your area.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think you described about half the cars in the valley here that car guys had in that time frame.
    Before Autozone and their chrome trinket and decal aisle we had Western Auto, Pep Boys and the almighty JC Whitney catalog with more than one page of hood ornaments.

dana barlow and wicarnut like this.
  3. Anyone who decked out their car with the J.C. Shitney catalog got picked on.
    The light up jester ornament was funny.[​IMG]

4. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

The curb feelers that I put on my Edsel always get some interesting comments....

wicarnut likes this.

5. mark schanfeldt

mark schanfeldt

Some of our guys used these:
    Olds Starfire hubcaps
    Dummy spotlights
    Chrome bullets
    Scavenger pipes
    Chrome shifter ball
    Pin striping
    Lake pipes
    Cruiser skirts
    Cherry Bomb glasspacks
    Tube grill
    If you didn't have them all-bet you had some of 'em.

6. DJCruiser

DJCruiser
    from CT

blue dot taillights, skirts, curb feelers, suicide knobs.

biggeorge and wicarnut like this.
  7. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg Had this dip stick handle on my 65 GTO, now on my 32 .

8. 41 C28

41 C28

STP sticker and a triple Racing Stripe on my Renault Dauphine made it go faster.

Special Ed and wicarnut like this.
  9. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I still have my girlfriends & my H.S. graduation tassels. I still have the girlfriend, too, only she's been my wife for 51-years !

10. putz

putz
    from wisc.

blue lights under the seats , speed shop stickers side glass , chain hoop under drive shaft , ol whitney cut outs , head rests , tear drop dash knobs , big clunky 8 track ....... no wonder i was broke all the time !

54vicky, deadbeat and wicarnut like this.
  11. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How about a reverberator for you radio ?

12. Surfer foot gas pedal/dimmer switch cover

jeffd1988, biggeorge, 54vicky and 2 others like this.
  13. Lots of speed parts decals on your quarter windows made your car faster even if you didn't actually have those parts under the hood. :D:D:D

14. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Shrunken head hanging from the rear view mirror

15. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

My Dad had a more sinister add on. It was a very long time ago so I don't remember how he pulled it off but he would take Model "T" coils and wire them together and mount under his dash or seat. It was hooked up so that when the car hop came out to the car to mount the food tray she would get the jolt of her life. Remember he used to have a small jumper wire he could pull out and attach to his buddy's rear bumper, when said buddy would open his door handle to get in he to would get a very hot surprise. Didn't take much to amuse some people back than...............................
    Pork & Beaner, This sounds liked something you would remember!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    wicarnut and deadbeat like this.
  16. deadbeat

deadbeat

I'm going to stick around for this thread,,it should be fun. Yeah I know it has probably been done before,,

wicarnut likes this.
  17. butchcoat1969

butchcoat1969

Nope not just a WI thing, I hung my girlfriends from my 64 impala SS it was there until I sent it to the bone yard when I blew the motor up in my 69 camaro lol ah good times, my girl friend just had to hang a pair of pink ones from her Nissan Versa note lol plus a steering wheel cover that's multi colored lol

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    dana barlow and wicarnut like this.
  18. 56shoebox

56shoebox

My friend's sister had one in her Dodge convertible. It was mounted under the dash and we liked to kick it just to hear the noise it made through the speakers. I forget what model dodge it was, but it had the push button gear selectors on the dash.

wicarnut likes this.
  19. 56shoebox

56shoebox

I have the surfer foot dimmer switch pedal in my 31 Ford coupe. LOL!!!

wicarnut likes this.
  20. 19Fordy

19Fordy

No hub caps, a "rake" with bare red wheels and those speed shop stickers
    said, "Don't mess with me.". :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  21. Slopok

Slopok

And last but not least, let's not forget the infamous Mirror Muff!:D

22. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^ with the color matched dice...

wicarnut likes this.
  23. 2002p51

2002p51

I hung my high school tassle in my '54 Chevy, had a blue tinted bulb in the dome light and STP stickers in the rear quarter windows. Such a bad ass! :)

24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I grew up too late for the 50's so I suppose a roach clip and feather are out of the question? o_O

egads, theHIGHLANDER, pat59 and 3 others like this.
  25. Z06-LITE

Z06-LITE

In my neck of the woods, we would say a guy with all the decals had a "full race window".

wicarnut and Max Gearhead like this.
  26. Z06-LITE

Z06-LITE

If he spent a lot of money at J.C. Whitney, we said his car was race prepared by Whitney Racing.

wicarnut likes this.
  27. 56cadillackid

56cadillackid
    from new york

My 56 caddy has red and white fuzzy dice they match the paint. I was going to take them out but now I think they look kinda cool

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

wicarnut likes this.
  28. slowmotion

slowmotion

I never liked shit hanging from my mirror. One exception was a certain young lady's tassel, weak moment but worth it. :D

wicarnut likes this.
  29. wicarnut

wicarnut

Reading the posts, one of the most important add-on's I was reminded of, was the glass pack mufflers, every car I had, I put on the blue ones (walker continentals?) Or the red ones (cherry bombs ?) with down turns, no tailpipes. Also the drag race cut outs in front wheel wheel, remove the caps to make big noise, I only went to drag strip 1X and got my butt handed to me, a kid's Street racer verses adults real drag racing, 2 different deals. Another thing was the racing part decals on back side windows.(always thought that was pretty funny) I sure had Alot of fun back then, all through my life and still having fun, the car hobby has served me well in different forms through the years and some things never change, still like "pipes" on my hobby rides, but now with tailpipes. LOL

williebill likes this.
  30. We had Thrush mufflers with straight pipes out the back and called them "scavenger pipes", some called them "drag pipes". ;)

Max Gearhead and wicarnut like this.