Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods State Farm dropped me from their antique insurance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Fischer, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Bruce, I have my two '51's insured with Hagerty.
    I chose a "collector car insurance company" to avoid the "unwelcome classic car claim" being treated as a run of the mill claim for a daily driver.
    Very inexpensive, great coverage (I hope I never need it) but was always leery of doing business with a "regular insurance company" ..... when the vehicle being insured doesn't fall into the guidelines of a "regular car".

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  2. Hi Bruce, keep in mind State Farm Agency policy is set by each state, not on a national level.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

State Farm sounds like my "good neighbors". They want my classic car (and me) gone.

Hell, they want my wife's 11-year-old Jetta gone, too.

4. Gastrap

Gastrap
    from Tama, Iowa

State Farm gave me a regular policy with agreed value on my unpainted truck, but wouldn't do it until I had door panels installed.

5. I couldn't live like that,
    Where's the tolerance?

jeffd1988 and Bruce Fischer like this.
  6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's that damn Jetta you keep parking in front of my mansion! :mad:

7. I had the same problems you described but mine were with Allstate. Not fixing a car correctly that had been hit by an Allstate insured driver and at the time I was with them myself. They also kept raising the rates through the roof until I could not afford them any more. Agent claimed it was the area I lived in and my age. Went with State Farm for less than half the cost and never looked back. Recently shopped around for a better deal and no one I contacted could beat my current rate. No at fault accidents for my wife and one for me about 10 years ago.
    As stated earlier the agent can make or break your experience.

lothianwilly71 and Bruce Fischer like this.
  8. 2935ford

2935ford

I understand.

9. Bigbangtheory

Bigbangtheory
    BANNED
    from ohio

I have had grundy for the last 4 or 5 years and my policy is due now. I called them up to ask if I was covered if I drove my car to the grocery store or to work and got in an accident and was told NO. Just got off the phone with Hagerty and I am now a customer with them.

Bruce Fischer and oldsjoe like this.
  10. castirondude

castirondude

I used to have 21st century for all my cars, was with them for more than a decade.
    One renewal cycle I noticed there was no liability card for my 1928 Dodge sedan. When I called they said actually they dropped the insurance months ago and never told me!

So now I switched to The Hartford and they have insured everything I threw at them, the only limitation was they don't do larger (>1 ton) trucks and buses and you can't have more than 8 vehicles at one time. So whenever I buy something new or fix a car, I have to bump one of the broken cars off the policy :)

They never came out to look at anything. Some of the cars I have insured haven't been on the road in more than a year. They don't seem to mind the extra cash.

11. In good ol Missouri you don't want any insurance with "farm" in the name. They like to take your money but try everyway that they can to not give any back.

My current insurance company writes me a policy on an agreed value of the vehicle. Works for me.

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ain't rich. They are. They don't have to tolerate anything.

13. castirondude

castirondude

Hmm, if I put a padlock on my tarp does that count? :D

14. racinman

racinman
    Member Emeritus

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Good grief! I have an excellent broker, he arranged for a policy that covers 3 cars: O.T. BMW (wife's daily work) '55 F100, and '66 VW bug (Cal style) Hell, we have towing, (free 100 miles) and some other small perks.
    We have minimum, Public liability/ Property damage. I have a myriad of parts and ability to fix these if.
    Also have 4 street roadsters under construction, so we're spread 'thin'. Way we roll...

16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I along with some friends have AAA Classic Car ins. We set the value and need to give odometer on it every year. I have all my regular cars with them too along with my house. All cars get the odo deal. I believe them to be fair at least so far.. So Cal is tough because we can drive all yr.
    Now Classic motorcycle insurance is whole other can of worms.

6-bangertim and Bruce Fischer like this.
  17. Blue 006.JPG 4U Mines garaged kept.LOL.Bruce.

18. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

Same thing happened with my sons 66 f-100. And my 46 coupe. We only have liability on them. Since they are not "painted " 20170402_104500.jpg 20160904_153206.jpg

Max Gearhead and Bruce Fischer like this.
  19. 1927graham,I figured that.I just thought I would throw that in there.Bruce.

20. Bigbangtheory.That what the 56 Chrysler would be used for. Week ends at Sonics and to go food shopping once a week .Oh and car shows.Bruce.

21. Trailer-Ed, that just aint right!!!!Bruce.

trailer-Ed likes this.
  22. Twin Stick

Twin Stick

Sounds like standard State Farm business practices. Morons making up arbitrary rules. No customer loyalty, no customer service.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. I have had Hagerty for years. When I bought my 34, it was out of state, I sent them the link to the Ebay auction I bought it on and they insured it for that amount for transport. Never filed a claim however...

24. As others have said I think having a good broker is vital to getting the coverage you really need. I've been with my Collector Car broker for many years. He originally had me with Hagerty but called me one day to tell me he was now carrying Grundy and recommend I switch. Half the premium at that time for the same coverage. I've never compared them since. I've never had to do more than send him a couple of pictures and a description of a car to add it to my policy. Everything else is with State Farm since 1968. A few inexpensive claims over the years have been taken care of without issues. Guess the real test will be a large claim which I hope does not occur.

25. Hagerty was the best about generally driving the car around, I'm good for 3000 miles a year on my policy and will up it to 5000 when I renew in July. I drive it like anyone with a 2nd car would. To work on nice days, running errands, cruise nights, rides to nowhere. If you own a pickup truck, some insurances state that you can't carry things in the bed, as in going to Lowes to pick up a bundle of shingles and a roll of insulation.

clunker and Bruce Fischer like this.
  26. As soon as I get my refund check back I am going to check with Hagertys Insurance.I usually answer all the people who like my threads on here but I had so many I couldn't. So thanks to you all for the likes.Bruce.

27. RR

RR

Bash State Farm a little more- I had the for 10 years on my DD with no claims. Made one claim after backing into a car in a parking lot and got dropped. Nice. NEVER again with State Farm. Currently use Allstate.

oldsjoe and Bruce Fischer like this.
  28. Gerrys

Gerrys

Got the same advice from my father. Avoid any Ins. Company with Farm in the name. I know people that have worked for State Farm that recomended to avoid them.

29. Bigbangtheory

Bigbangtheory
    BANNED
    from ohio

My insurance was due with grundy this week so I called to see what they would cover. I asked if I drove my car to work, the grocery store or to church and got in an accident on the way or in the parking lot if I would be covered and the rep told me NO. Maybe you should check to see when you can drive your cars and if you are covered. I like driving mine any sunny day to where ever I want to go.
    I called Hagerty and they will cover driving it anywhere and I get 3500 miles a year for each car I own. Not much more money either.

30. Bigbangtheory

Bigbangtheory
    BANNED
    from ohio

Hey Bruce, I told Hagerty that my 5 window was in bare metal and my 56 is patina and they had no problem with it. Got the stated value on all my cars. Didn't have to send pics or anything. Got roadside assistance to. I am extremely happy with what I heard from them and the price wasn't to bad I don't think.