Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Car rotisserie's Anybody dare to build there own??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LilBlue82, Apr 10, 2017.

1. LilBlue82

LilBlue82

Hello once more oh mighty guild of the HAMB. A few years ago I read in hot rod magazine that a man build his own Rotisserie for his hot rod project. has anybody on here build there own rotisserie i would love to see them and if you want share your plans on here or shoot me a message. I have ideas to build one someday once funds for a welder come into play ( The corner gig aint working they keep paying me 20.00 bucks to keep my cloths on!!!!). But anyway share away brothers!!!

2. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

All I'm going to say, if you are learning to weld, have someone weld this up for you. I had a customer borrow a rotisserie from a friend of his who built it. One of the welds let go with car on at the blasters', was not pretty.

3. LilBlue82

LilBlue82

Ah I know how to weld i'm justt looking for someone who build one of there own to see what material they used and dimensions and eeek I bet that friend was happy about that :eek::eek:

4. The easiest way is to just copy one.
    They are really pretty simple.
    The hardest part id say is drilling all the holes and figuring a way/place to store it all when done using it.

I've heard a few stories of cars falling off of them but the car let go or the bolts pulled thru from lack of back up or compromised weak structure of the body mounts.

djr041060 likes this.

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Ha! I built a light duty rotisserie in Campbell (my old shop) to do early tin cars...I had some room, (shop was in an old concrete plant, plenty of cement around, lots of room)
    I got some black pipe from the plumbers out back, (they weren't running gas any longer, so I got 40 sticks of 3/4" and bent some 8 foot diameter circles with a 'hickey'! Some 'spokes', (diagonal braces) and framework, flat bracketing, and the 'wheels' attached at front and rear of the unit to paint.
    Worked great, just roll it over (with some room) then turn it, roll it back...Cheap, anyway.
    My old work partner Tom came and saw it, begged me for it to use on 911 Porsches. I sold it to him cheap, to date it has aided in more than 100 restos...all 356 and 900 series Porsches.
    It can be done...

powrshftr likes this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

What you want, might depend on what kind of car it is, and what you need to do to it. I built a couple quick, cheap stands to set my Chevy II body shell on it's side, so I could finish the underside of the floor more easily. Of course, the stuff you need to make to do this with your car might be quite different, since you might not be working on a Chevy II.

54Ryder likes this.
  7. fordrodsteven

fordrodsteven

I bought a set of plans from CASCO. They have it listed in the catalog as a rotator for $9.95. When I got the plans and looked at them I figured I don't really have the Tooling (mill and lathe) to make some of the parts. I decided instead to purchase a rotisserie from the place where I bought my lift.

8. i built the up rights for this rotisserie years ago but had them mounted to an old car trailer. i had a 58 caddy convertible body on it. then we mounted the up rights on a boat trailer for a couple other cars. the trailers allowed us to bring them to the blasters. a friend of mine then made this cart for them using dumpster wheels. it gets pushed out back when not in use. DSCF0002-1.JPG DSCF0005.JPG

mgtstumpy likes this.
  9. The one I have here would need no machining of parts. Some forming (farm that out) and a drill press with 2 bottles of tequila. You could probably farm out the holes to get punched.

10. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

11. MrMike

MrMike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Try -Red Wing Metal Work, they have free rotisserie plans.

Poh likes this.
  12. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Forty years ago when I built mine I don't think you could buy one. Cotton wagon frame, heavy wall square tubing, 3/4T spindles and hubs for rotating and lots of bracing. Probably has had 200 or more cars/trucks on it between mine and people that have borrowed it. Don't have a picture of the COMPLETE 74 Cad Sedan DeVille that was on it but do have a Model A with engine, trans, glass, upholstery, etc. Had no plans but it's not rocket science. If one can't build a rotisserie I sure don't want to be on the same road as his 100mph rod.

56 and Model A 023.jpg 56 and Model A 027.jpg IMG_4273.JPG IMG_4274.JPG

mgtstumpy and The37Kid like this.
  13. Poh

Poh
    from Quincy,Ca.

Very detailed plans, but it's redwing steel work.. thanks for the information though..

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. By the time you spend (lots) of money for good quality materials,I found it was better just to find a used one.
    Price out the materials and then decide.

Oldmics

slimcat7m3 and brigrat like this.
  15. Oh yeah, if you can get on that pseudo rental chain it works out pretty good the guy you bought it from, for you, and for the guy you sell it to.

16. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Oldmics is rite about one thing, after you price out materials in making one it is cheaper to buy it already built unless shipping is involved.......................................

slimcat7m3 likes this.
  17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

65 Mustang (21).jpg the problem with buying plans or drawing up your own is then you have to buy metal to make it like the plans. I do things the other way around, I look at my pile of free metal and design from that. the only thing I bought were the tubes that had to fit inside each other for the spinning part. I think I spent 60 bucks for the whole thing. the only thing I would do different would be to attach the two ends with a bigger piece of tube.

one thing you need to think of is different cars will have a different center, the body needs to be balanced to spin right so it needs to be adjustable. built this one 20 years ago and did a Mustang. hopefully thesepics will show how it all went together and the adjustments. I didn't build it for the Mustang, I built it with more of a taller 40's body in mind.

65 Mustang (12).jpg 65 Mustang (13).jpg 65 Mustang (14).jpg 65 Mustang (19).jpg 65 Mustang (36).jpg

tb33anda3rd and mgtstumpy like this.
  18. You want the pivots at about cam level and the arms to catch the bottom.
    You can't see it clearly but there's a very simple threaded rod and welded nut adjustment for the pivots.,

image.jpg

image.jpg

mgtstumpy likes this.
  19. I built mine off a set of free drawings from off the internet. When I was shopping for a rotissori
    By time I had it shipped to Alaska I was looking at over $1,500.00 and they were not what I would call sturdy and adjustible. So I did a take off of the drawings and built 2 sets for the price of one from the states. Mine were made of heavier material than specked on the drawings. Also modified the area where a individual can move the vehicle up or down on a worm gear system to get the ballance correct and not need someone there to help out. I upgraded the casters and jack. Took the parts to the local powder coaters and had them painted toolbox red. Many of my friends that stop by swear that this was bought. I can get some pics of this if someone is interested. This is stout enough to even handle a early 50's Caddy body on a frame . I always over build my tools so they will last forever.
    Vic

20. Hop2it

Hop2it

DSCN1595.JPG DSCN1596.jpg i made one using 2 harbor freight cherry pickers for $100.each plus a bunch of steel from local surplus steel store.I put my el camino up on it last sat.spins around very easy by myself it has a disc brake type of locking system.I will post some pictures with car on it tomorrow.
    Doug

21. scrubby2009

scrubby2009

Old trampoline frame and some Harbor Fright caster wheels, held my 52 BelAir nicely while floors and fenderwells were patched. Goofy thing never broke... 415056_2472607273052_779334120_o.jpg 415056_2472607353054_1995197931_o.jpg

RICH B, tb33anda3rd and mgtstumpy like this.
  22. The37Kid

The37Kid

I have a basic knowledge of levers an fulcrums, but there has to be some great stories here. Bob

squirrel likes this.
  23. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

My home built uses 3/16" or 1/4" wall RHS. All I need now is to add the balancing tool so I can throw my 46 Olds body and chassis on it. Extra HD so I can rotate 360 degrees if needed.
    There is another beam for bottom to hold it square when loaded. Wheels and crank assembly maybe next? This will easily support my daily driver (SUV).

Rotisserie.jpg

20170226_160546.jpg

24. indyjps

indyjps

Im borrowing one currently, owner moved to california so I'm actually storing it, works out well. I can post some pics.

25. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

26. cshades

cshades
    from wi

I thought about building my own, then after pricing the steel, figuring the time to build it and the running around I started looking at them at car shows. I bought one at a show with free shipping delivered to my door. I thought I can use the time I saved for building the car instead of the tool to hold it up. Just my 2 cents.

27. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I know this isn't what you ask for but I used it for years and I loved it . You see I am short of room and it just unbolts and lays flat against the wall, It turns a car over with one person ,I built it out of the mild steel like we used for roll bars. I thought about putting wheels on it but never needed to. dcp0448.jpg buick200kc8.jpg buick201zx9.jpg

BigDogSS likes this.
  28. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I built my own. Took a weekend with the chop saw and welder and about $500 in steel and parts (2008 Dollars, Jacks and casters came from Northern Tool and Equipment). PM me for the plans. Nothing is light duty because I planned it around the Merc Wagon. All 3/16" and/or 1/4" wall tubing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    BobsRandR, Atwater Mike and Oldmics like this.
  29. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

@Frozen Merc... This Roto is GALAXIE class! (never actually considered 'spinning up' my '63-1/2 Fastback, but now see it as...possible)
    Thanks.