Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods State Farm dropped me from their antique insurance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Fischer, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Got a call from State Farm Insurance today. They said they couldn't keep my 1956 Chrysler Windsor under their antique policy because it WASNT PAINTED!I explained the car had been insured since Feb. and I was in the process of repainting it. They said they could insure it as a regular car{which means I would get crap if it was in a accident}I went back and forth explaining they has insured my old cars for the past 20 years with no problems, but no good. I finally told them just drop the policy then. I wasn't planning on driving it anyway till I got the carb. back and painted it anyway so much for long time loyality. Bruce.

2. Interesting.
    Bruce, does this mean that the current craze, of rusty and patina cars also get the same treatment?
    What about a car that's painted with fake rust/patina?

3. Yup. that pretty much sums up my state farm experience.

4. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Bruce

I've used Grundy with agreed value. Ten years in no problems.

5. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I had it with Liberty Mutual , paid for 25 plus years , time to pay up , " No Way !" An attorney 6 months of fighting and court order to pay up . Insurance Companies in general suck x10 ! I always say " if Jesse James could have stolen that Damn easy , he would not be in the history books today " !

6. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep Grundy ! Use to have Hagerty, but they were more $, shop around.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    Bruce Fischer likes this.
  7. That sucks Bruce, hope you get something worked out with a new company. I have Sate Farm on my three old cars, two DD, motorcycle and home. No complaints as of yet but did notice they are being more careful checking cars out. They send people out to take pictures of my old ones every so often.

8. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Grundy.
    less than half the cost of state farm, over 5 times the coverage level.

9. J.C. Taylor Insurance is great I have had it for years and one of my family members. No fuss no muss..:eek::eek:

10. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Happened to me too.. Went to Hagerty and couldn't be happier...

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I have been buying insurance from the same broker since 1995. They have my house, cars, and rental properties. I pay $4000 - $5000 a year for insurance. That's over $100,000 and no claims. Last December I got in an accident with my 92 Crown Vic that was the other driver's fault. I went to my broker and asked what I should do, and she basically told me to piss off. Guess who just lost another customer.

12. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I have Triple A, regular car insurance with an agreed value, not vintage or antique or collectible car insurance, regular plain old full coverage car insurance.

13. metalman

metalman

State Farm seems to be great at running off customers these days. The wouldn't put my 57 on classic insurance because I wanted to drive it any time I wanted, they said to and from shows only!
    Then to top that I had two home burglaries in 4 years so they dropped me, I guess being a loyal customer and paying them sense 1973 didn't matter, they want your money but don't want you to have a claim.

14. well.........o2c here..... Since I've had S/F, and under the "antique policy", they always want pictures, sent in, or in person. No projects being in progress allowed. They want to cover legit/finished vehicles. No affiliation, but just my carrier. You could also insure for what you think it's worth. Just because it doesn't fall into the 'antique' realm, you can still cover yourself. Plus+ if your homeowners is bundled. I have a stated value, NO restrictions, and a chump change deductible........
    Once had one of the "fancy" names thrown around, and their limitations were ridiculous.= Dropped them quick.
    maybe a new agent is in order? Results may vary......Good luck.

Bruce Fischer and wraymen like this.
  15. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I have a question for those with Grundy and such.
    Are you allowed to drive the cars daily? Or for you they are just weekend show-toys?
    The reason I asked is that for myself and my wife we bought and built them to drive a lot.
    Her 'new' 28 roadster is her daily driver (easy to do in So Cal) and she loves it...
    I drive my 59 Ford panel to work and others of our collection.
    So, when we added the new roadster to our AAA policy and they tried to sell their version of Grundy, but my wife mentioned it would be a daily driver, they said no go on the Classic, but ok on a standard policy.
    So if you are out on a non-show-swap meet and you have an accident, will the Classic people say 'sorry you did not fulfill the terms of the agreement......'?

dogwalkin, Hemiman 426 and Dogtown76 like this.
  16. Insurance companies are just greedy nowadays. I have Farmers, my "broker" was a jerk because I dared to ask a question!
    The idea is to raise and collect premiums , the NEVER pay out and cancel if you dare make a claim.I hardly drive anymore!
    Legalized theft is what it is, insurance companies are all part of corporate conglomerates now, chomping at the bit for more "deregulation".

I remember buying health insurance for our law office years ago asking the broker WHY premiums went up so much. He laughed and said, they are increasing your price....BECAUSE THEY CAN! End of story.

17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have 6 cars on my Haggerty policy, could not ask for more service or better rates. Two of those cars are in the process of being painted and they only request updated pictures and values as I complete them.
    But no, they are not daily driver coverage. I am allowed something like 3000 or 5000 miles annually. My state has license plate laws that prevent me from daily driving them anyway without paying for tags every year so it doesn't bother me.

Oh and it is a good way to buy a another car since you can tell your Mrs. that you save money on insurance by having three of them to drive.

59stood, Bruce Fischer and Hudson31 like this.
  18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

have State Farm for everything - old rides under Antique/Classic/Replica coverage with agreed value - only one claim a few years ago with quick positive results - ANPAC (American Property & Casualty Company) has good coverage as an alternative, with good references here

Bruce Fischer and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  19. flamin01a

flamin01a

Grundy yes! My wife says I have a bulls eye on my back. I drive a delivery van part time and have been rear ended several times. Once I was hit at seventy mph. He was asleep.

dirty old man and Bruce Fischer like this.
  20. Gman0046

Gman0046

A while back, a friend asked if he could come over and take pictures of my 56 Chevy 2 door post car as his insurance company would not renew his 56's policy because of poor paint. Didn't matter to me. Someone can take pictures of my cars anywhere.

21. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Started out with State Farm in the 70's but in the 90's when the cars I was building got to high a value they didn't drop me (I have a really large Farm Blanket with them) but suggested I look elsewhere. I went to Grundy since then except for last year when I wanted to insure my unfinished 32 pu and was forced to go to Haggerty. Later I got a letter from Haggerty asking if I intended to drive the car or if it was for display? I then was able to transfer it over to Grundy for considerably less money. I currently have 6 collector cars insured with Grundy. Never had a claim so it'll be interesting if and when I do.

wizzo and Bruce Fischer like this.
  22. my homeowners insurance company did the same thing to me, they said they would drop coverage if i didn't repaint..........house, barn, cottage and garage.........painting one little car is easy.

23. If you own anything of value, you need insurance. The media branch of corporate conglomerate tells you you need to own as much as you can, (greed) the financial branch of the corporate conglomerate tells you to mortgage it, (Slave to the lender), the insurance branch of the corporate conglomerate tells you that you must insure it or loose it all thru law suits, theft, fire, ( pride) are you getting the gist of it ?

24. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Sorry to hear about this Bruce.
    Insurance companies, great for wanting money, nbut none don't want to pay any out.
    I guess they figure they could "hoop" you over the paint job.
    I am glad I have Collector Plates and insurance, can even tow with it or drive year round. My province in Canada has Public Vehicle insurance, since 1971, and no dealing or shopping with private companies.
    If you have a clean driving record and goody points, then you are golden....

Bruce Fischer and gobybike like this.
  25. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I have 5 cars insured with Hagarty. Completed, in progress, and what had been until two weeks ago, a pile of parts. No worries. Great claim coverage, road service, as pleased as anyone can be about paying for insurance. ;-)

Bandit Billy, oldsjoe, Paul B and 3 others like this.
  26. BJR

BJR

When I was 17 back in 1967, I had a 56 T Bird, I was on my dads policy which was with State Farm. He had the house and cars with them for 30 years. A guy ran a stop sign and hit my Bird. His insurance company paid all the expenses. State Farm refused to renew my dads car insurance because of the accident I was not responsible for. Dad canceled our house insurance with them. I will NEVER do business with State Farm!!!

27. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I have my daily drivers and house with State Farm. My others are with Hagerty and have been for close to 20 years. Last year when I renewed my SF policy they "begged" me to get the other cars. I refused saying that they just don't know how to deal with the "other" kinds of vehicles. They got pissed. Too bad. Too often I have heard the exact stories like Bruce said. Specialty insurance companies are just that. Regular companies have actuary tables and data that "special" cars don't fit into.

28. nugget32

nugget32

They told me the same thing. Argued until they forgot about paint.

Sent from my VS500 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  29. State farm is a rip off. They canceled my insurance on my 66 elcamino 20 years ago. It was regular insurance. Not classic/antique. Their reasoning was that it was a high performance car and I was 20! That is exactly what the broker said! I had no points on my license, and had only ever i had one ticket for a tail light out on my other truck. Screw them. I have USAA on my truck and hagarty on my old stuff. State farm can suck it.