Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The 2017 Lonestar Round Up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The 2017 Lonestar Round Up

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Stu, HEMI32, Knghtcadi and 6 others like this.
  2. Mr Synders 32 is very nice, I really liked this Coupe too.
    DSC01403.jpg

edcodesign, putz, seadog and 6 others like this.
  3. catdad49

catdad49

How can you choose just One?! Maybe next year, have one for rods, one for customs, one for trucks, one for..............oh, never mind. Just a big thanks for sharing your thoughts and pics, Carp

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Martin is the real deal, and makes you want to be a better person, and a mentor of sorts, even if he doesn't realize it.

thommoina33 likes this.

5. A Boner

A Boner

image.png Wow! What a slick looking ugly duckling.....Wow!

Pufff, lil mike, putz and 7 others like this.
  6. Great photos, sir! All are stellar cars, for sure!

But that east coast A coupe just does it for me!! Any info on the car or owner/builder?

7. I got to go to the show last year, but had to fly down and caught a ride home with one of my buddies. I'll get my 40 down there one of these years.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

I guess all my friends are jerks....none of them have ever told me my brake and running lights are all switched up.
    [​IMG]

P.S. I'm stealing the dash photo for my avatar haha. great coverage this year!

edcodesign, Malcolm, kiwijeff and 3 others like this.
  9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah, this car was one of my favorites for sure... Very smartly detailed.

10. belair

belair

LOTS of people there. But two of them were my friends, so it was worth the hassle. Great cars. The JJ pick is dead on. And some bastard stole my chair. Still, it had a longhorn on it, so no big deal. But you're still sorry as puke, whoever you are. Great show as always. The LSR and DoTD always remind me to be grateful and not take for granted the hard work of others. Thanks to all the organizers.

11. Big Plan Dan

Big Plan Dan

Johnny Snyder's '32 5w is a dead ringer for a '32 5w built and owned by Bud Ballard from Butte, Montana, in the late 1960's - early 1970's (very possibly a wider time frame). I believe Bud's car had upholstered running boards. But the color, white top insert, stance and all that stuff are correct in as much as I can recall. That was my hero car for a number of years until I underwent a '33-'34 5w conversion around 1976. Like a dope, I threw away those early car photos, as if they were taking up serious space (not).

12. We all have our favorites but this car does it for me. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Does anyone know if this is the car Cole Foster worked on? I was told it was a clone of it? Is that true? Anyone know?

Either way... It rules.

14. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

[​IMG]This is just right Kool Kustom thanks Boss

putz likes this.
  15. hansboomer

hansboomer
    from new york

I never liked a custom pick up truck before, but that Chevy with the 57 Caddy grill looks awesome!

Chavezk21 and Landmule like this.
  16. hansboomer

hansboomer
    from new york

I always like those. The real ugly duckling were the 41 through 48s. It's a sad statement about our current condition that we are so desperate for old cars that we bring back 46 Fords.

17. hansboomer

hansboomer
    from new york

That one is the best in show, and best use of Buick parts, even if the wiring is screwed.

pinkynoegg and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

kiwijeff, Tuck and kidcampbell71 like this.
  19. wex65

wex65
    from WV

The Hilton Hot Rods/Ross Racing Engine posse made it down again, terrorizing the highways between OH/VA and TX and eating everything in between. The group grew to 15-16 people strong, gets bigger each year.

I wasn't going to attend. Lost my coupe last year due to health issues but decided to fly down anyway...mainly for the people. Of course I loved the cars, especially as I got to hijack the 6" chopped coupe below for the Saturday and it was a blast driving such a cool car, but a better group you will go a LONG way to find.

Sappiness aside, Bob Hilton, Tony Lombardi, Ward, Russ (North Jersey Kustoms) and the rest of the gang are nothing but gents. It speaks volumes that their customers can't wait to spend time on a road trip or hanging out with them at shows.

One small demonstration. A 6-8 year old Hilton/Ross car that has passed through 2 owners before landing with the current 3rd had a problem in LA. Tony heard about it and sent his trailer a couple of hours each way to pick the car/guy up and collect him so he could drive to the show.

Class characters, all of them.

So yes, for me the people are a major part of the show, and this is coming from a Brit and lets be honest, we arent THE most sociable of people.
    coupe.png

Jet96, bluthndr, kiwijeff and 8 others like this.
  20. I was stuck in my swap meet real estate and didn't get out to walk around much. But because I was situated in the dirt close to the noisy, dusty, dorky mini bike races, on Saturday, I decided to not eat dust and wish customers weren't staying away like I did on Friday. I covered up my goods and shut down during the "races" and set off for a couple of big loops to try to take in what I could in a couple of hours instead of days. It was overwhelming and I don't recommend the fast walk, swivel head style..... "oooh! That's my favorite...... no, no, that's my favorite...... no wait, that one or the one next to it!"

I saw Ryan, the Acme dudes and a few more HAMB peeps, and a few came by me to say howdy which was nice. All my sale proceeds goes in my car fund. Next year my baby will be done so it will be less urgent to be a vendor anymore. I very well could be running with the big dogs instead of sitting on the porch with the puppies.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. Ryan, your commentary about cars or people shows you're pretty normal (sorry if that seems an insult;)). I'm somewhere twice your age and can remember when I had similar beliefs/reactions (wait til your kids become teens, you'll probably have some similar revelations.:D). It becomes about a balance (not necessarily equal) of both the car stuff and friendships or good acquaintances. Whether it was a Goodguys deal, LARS, GNRS, SEMA, Portland Swap Meet, or dozens of other venues, it was always a joy to catch up with the lives of kindred spirits who you might only see once per year as well as enjoy the latest rides they or others showed up with. Walking the gathering, sharing opinions and observations of workmanship, styling trends, whatever, was all a part of the experience. When the internet became a thing that only increased the circle of friends, with the added kick of putting a face to the online identity. Not to get maudlin here, but now that we've been at this for several decades, many of those friends and acquaintances are passing on, never to share the gatherings (at least in this dimension) again. It's harder to meet up with a bunch of those ol' guys, the groups are quite a bit smaller. But that just means it's time to make new friends, time marches on. I had hoped to get down to Austin this weekend, but new business interests here in tiny Salado got in the way..........piss poor planning on my part. Looking forward to getting more into the Texas car scene going forward, and enjoy these glimpses of what I missed in person.

22. BLAKE

BLAKE

Jesus. Those photos are gorgeous, boss.

lothiandon1940 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  23. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Ryan, you got one of those camera lenses that only takes pictures of good cars? But judging from what I could see in the backgrounds, it looks like EVERY car there was a good car! Bill and I are both building hopefully worthy vehicles to drive out there next year...for sure. Can't let another one go by.
    Thanks, Pat Ganahl

Surf City, MUNDSTER, KKrod and 2 others like this.
  24. Same car, but it's changed hands (and tires). There is another black, Carson-style topped '38 running around now too.

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know if he did or not. It was at Pismo Beach for Trog and I have some photos of it in my album. The car is outstanding for sure.

Great photos of some real interesting cars. Thanks for taking the time to share them.

26. Great coverage. This show looks so great. Hope I can make it down from the Northwest someday before I'm dead & gone. Oh & the car you picked is almost the same car I've been building in my head for awhile now. Same damn color, wheel/tire combo and all. Guess I'll keep dreamin....

27. L7

L7

Can someone clue me in? what is DoTD. I'm guessing another great show I may never get to experience! :(

28. Thank's Boss for liking my Washington blue 32 3 window enough to take a photo of it and post it on your page....Great event & as it was my first time attending....was knocked off my feet! Now this was a Hot Rod event done the way they all should be done. As a rule I take about may-be a dozen photos at events I attend...DAM! I took 129 photos at this one...Some very KILLER rides attended this gathering.
    Thank's to every one that had anything to do with it.

cpd682 and Tim like this.
  29. peeduh

peeduh
    from atx

This thing is getting bigger every year! I'm still exhausted haha

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app