Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The ALTERED thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loudbang, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

What's the wheelbase on your car Pnevells?

els likes this.
  2. pnevells

pnevells

125, we did this chassis from a project startedby another Hamber, we hung our own ladder bar suspension off of a frame that started as a Speedway T, the wheelbase was unknown until we got it built, a little long for some purists ,but drives well and hooks eveywher we have raced it,
    jalopy6.jpg

3. loudbang

loudbang

This series is of a "home built" early altered. I don't know who owed it or anything about it found on the web.

Yes two guys are lifting the chassis up in the air

a1.JPG

a2.JPG

a3.JPG

a4.JPG

a5.JPG

At Pomona in the staging lanes

a6 pomona.JPG

a7 road.JPG

a8.JPG

4. loudbang

loudbang

Bad Habit GREAT SHOT

bad habit.JPG

LIL Screamer

M108^Lil_Screamer.jpg

again

M109^Lil_Screamer_2.jpg

5. Here is my Dad Gary Essman in the blue shirt with the Black Magic car he only drove the Black Magic for a short time . This is the car they made after the purple Magic Muffler that my Dad was the main driver for after Jim Miles the owner raced it for a short time. I'm going to the Texas LONESTAR ROUNDUP today . I will share some pictures of any old altered's in the upcoming days unnamed (1).jpg

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  6. els and loudbang like this.
  7. loudbang

loudbang

Great shot of the black MM car

8. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

i'm not protesting that the 55 in post #889 and the fairlane in post #893 (which, to me, if anything looks more afx.....) ARE NOT altereds. But if they ARE altereds, then how are altereds defined?

els likes this.
  9. mohead1

mohead1

Sounds like one of u guys need to sell me a car if yall aint runnin em, hehehe

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

els likes this.
  10. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

I guess in a nut shell it's simply a class based on weight per cubic inch.

chevy454 scanned the rule books for 1958-1968 a couple of years ago.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nhra-rule-books-1958-present.870742/

els and loudbang like this.
  11. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Kay Sissell's altered when it was GMC powered.

upload_2017-4-8_18-32-51.png

12. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

There are a number of modifications that would put a full bodied car into the Altered class, and they varied somewhat depending on the time period. Removal of front end sheet metal, excessive engine setback, wheelbase changes, driver relocation, etc. Even something as simple as deleting the headlights can do it. Often times full-bodied cars that would normally be placed in a /Super Stock or /Gas class would make some subtle change to run in the Altered class if the Altered class records or indexes were more favorable. Or maybe a big shooter in the same class as you would show up at a race and be faster than you. You could change to an Altered class so you would not have to run him in class runoffs. Running as an Altered may also put you in an eliminator bracket that pays out more money, or has fewer entries.
    So when folks say they long for the old days of drag racing when the guy with the faster car wins, well, they really don't understand all the intricacies of what it took to field a competitive drag car. Juggling classes along the way was one tool the racer had to achieve success.

els, stillrunners, t-rod and 4 others like this.
  13. loudbang

loudbang

They are altereds because that is the class they are running. In both these case PROBABLY engine set back.

14. Roothawg

Roothawg

Although, technically I could see how they were accepted, if I were setting up a racing org it would have to be fender less. Otherwise, you would end up with a bunch of rat rod 4 door Plymouth Valiants with no front sheet metal.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  15. loudbang

loudbang

Ron Ellis Instant T

M113^Ron_Ellis_Instant_T_1967.jpg

just the engine

M112^Ron_Ellis_Engine_1967.jpg

Russel & Rice

Russel & Rice.JPG

Rapp Chevrolet Thunderation Vette running C/altered

Rapp Chevrolet Thunderation and altered.JPG

16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Info I just heard about the vet ( The Rapp Chevrolet is from Thunder Valley Dragway in Marion, South Dakota.
    Glenn Rapp is still the owner and operator of the dragstrip. )

17. loudbang

loudbang

Dukes Automotive AWB running altered

Dukes Automotive and altered.JPG

18. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

If you make a center steer rule that would keep it what most consider to be a traditional altered.

els likes this.
  19. Roothawg

Roothawg

Meaning center steer only? That might be the ticket....

els likes this.
  20. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Then you would miss out on the early coupes with the motors under the cowl and the driver in the back as far as he could go (but still LHD).....the genesis of the class in my mind.....

els likes this.
  21. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I run in a Nostalgia Comp class at a few races during the year with my old Logghe altered, when my racing schedule for my Super Pro (avatar) altered has an open date. It is set up on an index basis - 10.50, 10.0, 9.50, 9,0...7.50 - and is open to all altered roadsters and front engined dragsters. The class only draws about six or eight cars usually. It has a $50 entry fee, and the promoter loses money at every race because his purse payout exceeds the entry fees. The purse encourages guys to spend the resources - time and money - to get the car to the track. In order to increase the car count and try to keep the track out of the red they are considering letting full bodied altered cars run this summer.

I bring this up because I've seen how easy it is to so narrowly define the type of car that you are going to allow that you severely restrict the number of entries. This does not make for an exciting class nor a profitable one for the strip owners.

An example of this would be the HAMB dragsters. While I think it is laudable to try to garner interest in a low cost, traditional type of drag car the rules are so narrowly structured that one almost has to build one from scratch to comply with them all. When was the last time you saw more than a few HAMB dragsters race at the same venue?

So if you want to create a class / club / organization for trad altereds that will actually race each other down the track then think inclusive, not exclusive.

els and NHRANUT like this.
  22. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Actually, building it your self from scratch was the intended pathway to a HA/GR. So yes, it was self limiting in the long run, as very few folks capable of the work're content with a 12.00+ car (the targeted ET, for cost reasons). The SDRA & NWVD spin-offs're doing a bit better, as they're easier to build & drive, and are quicker. But they still suffer from the same problem, albeit slightly less so. It helps that they don't care about the work being done by a shop.

And as others've noted, when the rules're loose enough, someone'll spend the money for even the most obscure win.

els likes this.
  23. old sparks

old sparks

when the rules are to strict, the class eventually dies because both the racers and spectators lose interest. even anra with its open wheel class 10.00 or slower is used to prep the track and spectators don`t watch it any more than they watch the throttle stop cars at a national event. the best thing about anra`s open wheel is you don`t have to jump thru the certification hoops and it`s bracket racing which requires more out of the driver

els likes this.
  24. loudbang

loudbang

Posted by tommyd in the in motion thread

Maffia Mouse

[​IMG]

25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

26. loudbang

loudbang

Keep The Faith Baby vette running altered

and altered Keep The Faith Baby.JPG
    Jim Milligan

Jim Milligan.jpg

Rat Poison

Rat Poison.jpg

27. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

An updated older car that I saw at the races yesterday at the fuel altered races in Okla. City.

P1010037.JPG P1010039.JPG

28. mohead1

mohead1

Nice shot of Pure Heaven II at Cecil....i grew up there, raced that track many times

29. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

I was fortunate to be asked to do all the Pinstriping and 23k gold leaf Lettering on the restored Mondello /Matsubara AA/FA a few years ago ..[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. mohead1

mohead1

Very cool....where is this car now that Joe is gone? Is there still a facility in Tennessee?

els likes this.