Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Bubble Skirt History

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Fedcospeed, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Ive read a bit about this style of skirt elsewhere and there is some good info like on Jimmy Jones and others.Not as many pics as Id like to see.I would like to see pictures of originals and handmade ones. The metal shaping on this kind of part is very interesting. Combining with chrome trim and fitting to body shapes is too.
    This kind of info can help others with ideas for all kinds of custom fitment of trunk lids,hoods etc. SOOO Lets see what you have please. Thanks Fedco

ModelAPunk, williebill and koolkemp like this.
  2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

From what I heard he got the basic bubble shape by cutting pieces out of the roofs of junkyard 51 Buicks and similar cars. Then heated the metal over a charcoal fire in the back yard and pounded into shape over a tree stump. Believe it or not the same technique has been used for shaping metal back into antiquity. Wish someone got a film or photos.

williebill likes this.
  3. rufusloco

rufusloco

Thank You that's great info I like doing things the old way

4. That is the only way to do it in my opinion, I find it so relaxing to just get away and lost in the old way of building something. Hobo Jim

5. Made my own from a donor 50 hood for my 50 coupe. Hood offered some complex curves and rt and lt sides. Gave me the basic shape to rework them. Made a frame and folded the edges over like a door skin. Then made a leading edge scoop out of 1/8 plate out of 3 pieces.
    Not everyones cup of tea but i kinda like them. torino build 003 (Medium).jpg torino build 005 (Large).jpg 50 ford 596 (Medium).jpg 50 ford 592 (Medium).jpg 50 ford 176 (Small).jpg misc 027 (Large).jpg misc 052 (Medium).jpg

dmoz, egads, Cosmo49 and 30 others like this.
  6. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Thats what Iam talking about!!

koolkemp, OG lil E and 2many projects like this.
  7. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tedley that is pretty impressive and they look perfect!

Spooky and OG lil E like this.
  8. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Nice skirts, Tedley!

Spooky and OG lil E like this.
  9. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

I was told by a guy that Jimmy Jones made these skirts, don't know if it true . chevy&nash62711 020.jpg

Ron Funkhouser, drdave and OG lil E like this.
  10. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Aesthetics would disuade me from wanting to apply 'bubble skirts' to flat slab-sided bodies. I'd move them toward the 'round, reubenesque' styles, such as '50 Buicks, Mercs, Hudsons, etc.
    Pure style slab sides 'deserve' flare skirts, such as Foxcraft...

47ragtop and Hnstray like this.
  12. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

They seem to have alot to do with, as far as fitment,to the shape of the quarters.They are not for every car. I will post some pics of the ones I have at the end of the week.Would I be correct in saying that these skirts were more of a custom built for thing than a mass produced like Foxcraft ones??

13. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Here are some pictures of the ones I have. Bracket on both are the same style. These are steel. P1010222.JPG P1010223.JPG P1010224.JPG P1010225.JPG P1010226.JPG

14. I have a set that is made exactly like that....same brackets, rod, pinched rubber seal and bottom lip with multiple holes on each end. Do you know who made those that you have? Dave Jenkins (owner of that black 57 chevy with Jimmy Jones skirts above) looked at pics I sent him of mine and he said they looked like they could be Jimmy Jones skirts, but never having seen the backside of a real pair myself, the ones I have look more like manufactured skirts rather than fabricated ones, but I can't confirm that one way or another.

OG lil E, Austinrod and Sancho like this.
  15. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

drdave, Id like to know.Was hoping maybe the bracket style being the same on both sets may tell someone something.Mine look well made. The one set was on a 49 Merc. Always good to learn more here!

OG lil E likes this.
  16. Leadsled52

Leadsled52

I have a real set of Jimmy Jones skirts for a shoebox and the bracketry is much rougher looking than that, I would guess those are aftermarket.

OG lil E and stanlow69 like this.
  17. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Can you post a picture please? Thanks

OG lil E likes this.
  18. Yes, I would second pics on your shoebox skirts, Andy. The ones I have are for a shoebox I'm pretty sure, so it would be cool to compare.

OG lil E likes this.
  19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

those look like a diaper with a full load to me. o_O

seb fontana and MyCrustyVW like this.
  20. Leadsled52

Leadsled52

I also made these skirts from a 50' chevy sedan roof 20160513_155824.jpg 20160605_182705.jpg 20160605_182711.jpg 20160610_150413.jpg

296moon, Fedcospeed, bscc50 and 6 others like this.
  21. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I`ve heard these are the longest ones ever made. Scan0262.jpg

OG lil E and drdave like this.
  22. That is bad ass! Question though, are the forward ends permanently attached to the doors?

OG lil E likes this.
  23. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

They`d have to be. Might be just bolted on. It`s Yosmite Sam Radoff`s from Canada. Somewhere I`ve seen a picture of him holding one in the upright position.

OG lil E and Sancho like this.
  24. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

cool beans.I like hand made stuff

25. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From listening to my dear departed Dad and all the old guys that hung around, the 1st steps to the look came about by using big car skirts on the small Fords. Cars like Packard, some of the Buicks, and other big GM cars lends an almost blistered look. This is a big car, sits on a 127" WB. Note the bubble or blister to the skirt (courtesy of a google image search)
    [​IMG]
    Put that skirt on a 36 Ford:
    [​IMG]
    See what I mean? I can't raise a right hand to the Ford shown having a Packard skirt (the preferred skirt for the time) but it sure looks like it. The good news? You can buy them new, in steel, about $400. I looked at them in person and the bubble and size are just right. Same skirt available in a smaller version but it's the size that makes it work. Yes? No? I'm a fan, but I'm a Packard guy too so...

26. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

[​IMG]

Here's this from kustomrama site

Sent from iPad

296moon, OG lil E, stanlow69 and 2 others like this.
  27. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I heard, he would make a paper pattern. And two weeks later, he would fit them when you came back with your car. I heard they were not cheap. He only had a one car garage. Was thinkin there was another term he used for the forward curve. I heard in person someone explain how and what happened when you went to see him.

28. Thanks Austinrod. I have that picture saved in my files, but not the description that goes with it. The caption describes exactly how mine are done....rolled on 3 sides with a pinched in gasket of some sort and a 90 degree bent flange across the bottom with brackets on each end. Hmmmmm....

29. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

What a contrast ,Pictures speak volumes!!

30. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad you like it Fed. There's a local collection that has a couple early V8s, minor mods like dual carbs and exhaust, but 2 of his cars have Packard skirts. Monster difference even though the skirt is just a couple inches longer/taller. A place in VA, or W VA Something "Dice" sells metal skirts the right size and bubble for $400 plus the ride. They're the most correct I've seen. Wouldn't even consider 'glass skirts.

stanlow69 likes this.