Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Who really isn't brand conscious

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, Apr 7, 2017.

1. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not brand conscious here and still has the Marilyn Monroe thing that does it for me every time and this thread needs more photos 15_marquis_desoto.jpg

kiwijeff, miki562 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I'm a Gibson guy, myself. Love the double humbuckers! I do like the Fender. I also like Yamaha, Takamine, Martin, etc. If it makes a good sound, I like it.

Blacktop VooDoo likes this.
  3. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I am loyal to Ford. As far as parts go, I will use what I think is good. For tools, I am not a tool snob. I will also use what I think is good. I am not loyal to any one brand.

4. Retrorod

Retrorod

I'm not too brand aware. I buy good parts, I check with other buyers first for a little background. I always bought whatever car I thought was cool or fast or whatever. I've had old Fords, old Plymouths a scattering of Chevies. I had a turbo Corvair Spyder and a V-8 Datsun truck (which I still own). My current regular car is a 300 HP HHR SS Turbo with a 5 speed...definitely not HAMB friendly but faster than jet-stink. My all time favorite is still my 1935 sedan.

5. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a friend with at '36 Dodge pickup made with a modified Chevelle frame running a 302 Ford. I don't think he's "brand loyal". The trucks looks good, too!

6. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

i grew up in a ford family, cut my real building teeth on an ohv cad powered 48 chevy. i tend towards a few styles in particular but there are countless others I'd happily own if the opportunity arose. here's a partial list. :)

50-53 caddy h/t or vert
    35 ford convertible sedan
    57 corvette
    26/7 roadster (flatty on 32 rails
    63 falcon ht or vert
    57 buick caballero
    34 ford pu
    49 merc
    64 galaxie ht
    67 firebird
    33 cadillac/lasalle
    56 ford fairlaine
    58 ford wagon
    58 impala
    38 ford coupe
    AD chevy truck
    47/8 checy delivery
    48 suburban
    66 cobra

etc etc etc

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Chavezk21 likes this.
  7. I have always called them Dagmars.

[​IMG]

Hnstray and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. gene-koning

gene-koning

I like most cars & trucks. What gets me is if I go to a show and there are rows and rows of the several slightly different versions of the car, after looking at a couple of them, I need to look at (or for) something else. I guess that means I like variety when looking at cars & trucks. I like function over form, I believe a car or truck should be roadworthy and they should be driven. Trailer queens and undrivable cars don't do much for me.

I'm probably not going to own much of anything but a Mopar. But some parts (other then motors and transmissions) will probably come from some other companies. I've had pretty good luck with my Mopars over the years. Gene

9. fuzzface

fuzzface

for old vehicles, doesn't matter the make but I lean towards the orphans or the dare to be different group that is slightly customized. tired of seeing the same type of cars in rows at shows.

daily drivers I go for whatever I get cheap. used to buy new all the time but i'll never buy new ever again and swung a complete opposite and just drive beaters for the winters and my toys in the summer.

for tools. when I was younger and had money to burn, yes I was brand loyal but now again I buy whatever as long as it is capable of the job and isn't china made.

10. I like all of them. Only a few i find unappealing (big luxury), but when those are starting to have an appeal. I love 60's Mopar, but can no longer justify owning one. So now it's old trucks lol.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. CJ 56 hemi

CJ 56 hemi
    from NJ

I'm a Mopar man but own a ford and grew up on Chevy. For me it's about style and substance. I love them all but it depends on the year for the brand.
    30s and 40s anything but lean towards ford
    50s Across all brands and I own a Chrysler but the Tri 5 are the tits. Anything big finned but I prefer the 59 Buick Invicta. Wouldn't kick a caddy out of bed as well.
    60s muscle cars are fantastic just not my bag as of late. They are all awesome. Early GTOs have an edge but I owned a 64 el Camino that I loved. I currently own a 63 Chrysler 300. I'm starting to appreciate the stuff of the 70s in limited #s. Mostly trucks. Anyway my point is they are all great it just depends on your flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I spy with my little eye--- there's a Crown Vic/Grand Marquis hiding under that car! Does that make me a Ford guy?[​IMG]

13. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I like Ford tractors, American cars that are rear-drive, and P90's.
    And that white/blue thing sucks.

alanp561 likes this.
  14. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

I try to avoid this discussion . There are brand loyal people who feel you have to like one over the other. I like them all for different reasons. I prefer "32" Fords, mid "60's" Mopars, "409" Chevy's. Some people will not accept "I like them all".

15. miki562

miki562

I'm building my car myself and so far Speedway stuff sucks. It's better to shell out a little more cheddar at a local Ma&Pa hot rod shop than get those Taiwanese rip off parts. I own a little 29 Special Coupe highboy and the cool part is those cars are simple so installing everything is usually simple, but I've learned many a time now not to buy stuff I can't observe in person. I'm a millennial (23 years old), so buying online used to be the only way I'd get parts. Bad idea. Like I said, it's not about brand loyalty for a novice hot rodder like yours truly, it's about what's going to work well per the experienced and kind hot rodders you run into locally.

I'm boasting a 383 stroker with a TH350, and it works awesome! All my smalls or from So Cal Speed shop or Lokar, since I've observed that's what works. Wish I had the awesome know-how that some of you fellas have but I don't so I make due with what I know will work and last a decent amount of time

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Can't believe I just googled Toyota Jan. Thanks! Haha

alanp561 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  17. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My dad was an Oldsmobile man most of his life, and I started out a diehard GM guy myself. A couple of horrible experiences with new GM cars in the late '70's and early'80's (the "Roger and Me" era), cured that. SBC's are good for boats and Corvettes, but not much else; as I prefer flatheads, early hemis, and Olds rockets, among others.

18. As far as cars...not brand loyal at all, just has to look right. I started out in the Chevy camp when I got my 51 Chevy pickup at 16 (still own it 27 years later). 100_1418.jpg Lately seems I'm collecting Mopar but I'm "jonesing" for a early roadster now so next one may be a ford?:confused:
    DSCN4968.JPG 53354eaa0d57740c1424662741.jpg IMG_20170325_141232632.jpg

19. I have had a few cars in my seventy years, Chevies, Fords, Mercedes, even Volvo, Toyota, and BMW. But thinking about it just now, Fords are the only ones I keep. So I guess it's Ford for me.

I discriminate less on the power source, currently I have a 392 hemi in my '51 Ford, 350 SBC in my '29 closed cab, and four banger Ford in my '29 cabriolet. I have had a 327 and 401 nailhead in other Model A's.

For auto parts, I discriminate on quality and performance only.

20. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

If it's a cool traditional period build I'm all about keeping stuff where it's at. But after doing g 2 4.6L Fords I can honestly say unless the customer drops a shit load more money and wants something modern in their hot rod it's getting an LS and that's it.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Prefer Fords but do have a 37 Chevy p/u and had a few Chrysler products along with a bunch of mid 50s Olds and a couple Buicks but if its cheap I will take it.

22. BLACK STUDE

BLACK STUDE

My hotrod has no brand loyalty. Stude body, Buick power, mopar rear and leafs, Pontiac radiator, Ford rotors, GM calipers and master cylinder.

23. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Absolutely! Dagmar was a 50s actress with significant assets. It is for she that the generous bullets on bumpers are nicknamed. In South Korea, there is an area commonly used for training by the US Army on the river northwest of TDC (Dongducheon) which is referred to as "Dagmar" for obvious reasons when viewed on a map.

vic (1/31 FA (HJ), 2nd InfDiv ('72-'73)

alanp561 likes this.
  24. HiHelix

HiHelix

Personally not brand conscious. If its cool its cool....If it isn't cool I want two... one to put poop on and the other one to put on top.
    In short... if it is apparent the creator took a lot of time with plenty of passion in making something, it gets my vote...

25. I prefer Skippy over any other p-nut butter
    as far as vehicles, cool is cool no matter what brand it is ( I do lean towards big and round, I just wish my wife would gain some weight)

bus side 3.jpg

26. jchav62

jchav62

I'm a Chevy guy at heart, but I've owned a few and currently own a Ford... the '65 F100 I have parked next to my '62 Chevy sports and HEI distributor and a quadrajet carb on the FE. :)

Now that I've gotten a little older, I have learned to appreciate all makes of good ol' American Iron...

I also like the tone of a Gibson... but prefer Fender. Lightweight and user friendly!

27. OK then here is a pic for ya. :D

[​IMG]

She was a saucy little scamp, I wouldn't have kissed her with your mouth but she was a saucy little scamp.

alanp561, kiwijeff and flatheadpete like this.
  28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I wouldn't necessarily say I'm brand conscious, I just don't care for the available options!

jaw22w and jchav62 like this.
  29. There's too many cool cars out there to be loyal to one make in my opinion. However heinz 57 is far superior to other sauces.

30. With ya Pork.....my big trucks are Ford FE powered....not much a problem there....had big and small Bowties....my mopars I prefer along with my Stude's....and than there's my flattie's....got's to love them for what they are...