Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Who really isn't brand conscious

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, Apr 7, 2017.

1. OK so HRP had a couple of threads about who is brand conscious about this brand or that one. I managed to hijack all of them. LOL

So a no guilt thread about brand consciousness here. If you are not brand conscious and want to speak up or if you are and want to speak up this is your chance. its not about what is better at all it is about your thoughts on hot rodding or customizing in general.

I'll state if it makes you happy. There are body styles that I prefer, for example '40sFords, or early '60s Chebbies. I don't really have an engine preference whatever lands in my lap will do, I am a sort of a transmission snob though, I do not particularly care for OD transmissions.

Well that is a start.
    Neeeeeexxxxxxt

VANDENPLAS, wicarnut and Gman0046 like this.
  2. I agree with you @porknbeaner. I myself do prefer certain body styles (I.e. Pickups, station wagons,etc etc.). I am not however, opposed to having something different, like a roadster for instance. Or perhaps a phaeton. And like you I'm a bit of a transmission snob, preferring automatics to manuals.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. Blacktop VooDoo

Blacktop VooDoo

When it comes to parts, I sometimes prefer certain name brands, depending on the part. I hope that wasn't confusing, LOL!

Johnny Gee likes this.
  4. CME1

CME1

I like to think I'm an old Ford man. Along come's a cool old Chevy...... then an old '40s Plymouth. I realize I'm an old car lover! Hot Rods and Customs! This is a great hobby!

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

They all have their pluses and minuses. That being said I stay loyal to interchangeability over all other things.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Brand, no. Quality, yes.

I will be brand loyal when someone pays me to do so.

Chavezk21, H380, VANDENPLAS and 6 others like this.
  7. LOL not likely anyone is going to start paying me any time soon to stick their decal on the side of my car. I don't buy shop T shirts for the same reason. ;)

8. alchemy

alchemy

I prefer Halibrands over Americans (but I like Americans second best).
    I prefer Thickstun over Edelbrock.
    I prefer Stromberg over Chandler-Groves.
    I prefer Stewart-Warner over....is there any other? :rolleyes:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. Some guys are SOOO brand loyal they actually get advertising product logos tattooed on themselves.

There's things I'll pay to own, and there's things that I'd own if they paid me. My family knows not to try to give me any ketchup but heinz.

alanp561, RDR and LBCD like this.
  10. Blacktop VooDoo

Blacktop VooDoo

Ok---I prefer Fender over Gibson.

11. 2935ford

2935ford

Again, Brand no......Quality yes!...... but, that's getting harder and harder to find!!!!!!!

Chavezk21, RDR, jchav62 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Beano,although I do bleed Ford blue I have owned a 63 Chevy II & a 67 Chevelle,not to mention a 49 Chevy pickup & a 68 C-10, also 57 Corvette

I had a 67 GTO , a 66 Dodge Van with a 383 and a 67 Dodge pickup.

I had a mint 66 Bug and a 62 MG midget and a Toyota Landcruser,I also had a 64 Rambler with a 500 CI Caddy engine.

I've probably bought 20 Impalas & Caprices to rob the 327 & 350 engines, HRP

13. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Brand loyal to whatever I can spin.

14. I'm just the opposite ,but I would love to have a nice vintage Martin. :D HRP

LBCD, Spoggie and Speedwrench like this.
  15. Back when we were driving Fords and Mercuries we bought lots of '62-64 Full sized chebbys. The area where we lived in high school (first 3 years anyway) Chebbys were high dollar compared to Fifties era Fords. We made lots of cash shoving take out 283s in a chebby and selling it. ;)

The last about 20 years have been Chebby years it seems. I am no more enamored with them than anything else, just that they are in the same place as I am. :D

16. Gman0046

Gman0046

The brand I'm conscious of is Made In China. Inferior quality and won't fit.

Gary

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  17. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Marilyn Monroe bumpers will do it anytime for me

everything a 56 chevy ever wanted to be.jpg

18. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

For parts , I generally shop price.. Most seem to be just fine( for me ).. I usually don't keep my hot rods very long so I don't know about the longevity the parts I buy.. I gravitate towards Fords, But I like all the old American cars...

19. Stonebird

Stonebird

I tend to gravitate toward stuff that is differnet. So sorry to say, A's, Deuces or tri-5 Chevies don't do much for me. On the other hand, an old Plymouth/Chrysler or Buick, or anything you don't see multiples of at your local cruise night can get my blood flowing. Cars I like tend to be harder to find parts for, but isn't that part of the fun.

20. My favourite brands are "Free"', "Swap meet" & "Roadside". I have also used "Garage Sale" brand and "Here, take this, you collect old Junk" brand too.

21. i try to keep it a secret that i am a chevy guy:rolleyes: but there are a lot of other stuff i like. it would be easier to list the stuff i wouldn't own at gun point. shit i wouldn't get into on a cold rainy night in the bronx would be any audi, anything korean, any car built for fuel milage.
    the only thing i would drive from toyota would be Jan.

kiwijeff, saltflats, brad2v and 3 others like this.
  22. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I like em all but when it gets to the thirties era for cars I generally prefer Fords with GM powerplants unless its a flathead. Nailheads, Rocket motors and yes smallblock chevys. For bolt on performance its whatever I find a deal on. Suspension, motor mounts, brackets I prefer to fab versus catalog buy from Speedway and the like vause the name brand stuff tends to look cookie cutter like and on alot of rods. Although many probably don't notice that stuff but I do.

23. Fordors

Fordors

I definitely favor name brands, and if there is one thing that torques me off it is the knockoff, made in China intakes and valve covers that even some of the larger parts sellers handle.
    Some guys want cheap copies but when Summit for example, sells an air gap manifold that is a blatant ripoff that just isn't right. Then there are the phony HEI's that everybody seems to be selling now, good luck with that when it fails on a dark, rainy night in East Wong Bong.
    Of course name brands can give trouble too but I just prefer to spend my $$$ on quality, whether new or used and not back alley, sweat shop China stuff.
    Oh, 31Vicky, Heinz is good but you might give Trader Joe's ketchup a try, I used to be a Heinz guy too, but no more.

24. Slopok

Slopok

Nobody is more brand loyal than Harley folks but what gets me is that when you purchase a lot of the accessories even those that are in genuine Harley packaging you will see that they are made in Taiwan or China.:confused:

scotty t likes this.
  25. I like them all as far as cars are concerned. Parts, tools....if they work well I'll get them again.

26. I guess I'm a Pontiac guy but I'll cheat on my brand for a nice 425 buick motor...or a 427 dual quad ford.
    I won't budge on my Hellmans mayonaise. And don't try to substitute anything for my A&W diet cream soda.
    I had one of those supercharged gran prix coupes but the engine was a Buick..didn't seem right...it wasn't REALLY a Pontiac and I swapped it off for a chevelle wagon.
    I like Hurst shifters ONLY...and I may be warming slightly toward automatic transmissions but don't tell anybody.
    Oh yeah, I have this fantasy when I'm driving that my finger has a magic ray coming out of it and I can point it and explode any Japanese or Korean car I want...People look at me driving my AMERICAN car and pointing at Toyotas and Kia's ...BOOM! another Nissan just disappeared!

alanp561, kiwijeff and tb33anda3rd like this.
  27. Grew up with the bow tie banner..... But, a Chevy in my Merc, and a Chrysler in my Ford, leaves me open to anything I guess.:confused:

28. If I like the way it looks, I will drive it! I'm very partial to early Chevy trucks, especially the advanced design years. A certain Mercury has a soft spot in my heart, and there's a long lost AMC that I would dearly love to have back.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

indyjps likes this.
  29. wicarnut

wicarnut

I'm a SBC man, its what I know and too old to change now. Hobby car wise, I
    like the iconic cars, but then again I always check out the unusual/different rides at shows. For me the diversity of the car hobby and people is what makes it interesting, when you attend an event/show/cruise you are with car people from all walks of life, the common interest is the bond. I have had a 29 Ford HighBoy Roadster, 32 Ford 3 window both SBS, currently a 51 Mercury mild kustom, a SBC, have an OT Camaro ragtop SBC, seems to be a pattern here. LOL. I do like all cars, not really any brand loyalty's, just appreciate the styling, engineering, performance of all cars/rods/kustoms from 20's to modern day production Hot Rods, being a baby boomer, we thought Hemi Road Runner's were fast, today's cars, WOW !

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  30. indyjps

indyjps

My brand is rust free and good cost. Trying to stay brand loyal.