Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wimbledon White paint and powder match

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Matching paint and powder coat is a hit and miss affair unless you can find a paint code that also has a RAL number.

There are a few paint colors where this is possible but Wimbledon white didn't seem to be one of them.

So I had my paint supplier spray me a sample in UNO acrylic urethane and headed down to the powder coater to try for a match.

Looking through the samples of off white creamy whites it was difficult to find one that looked right because the samples were all on little paper cards that you can fan out.

We settled on one that looked promising and they shot a sample on a piece of metal.

The powder color is called oyster white.
    RAL 1013.
    It's pretty much bang on.
    Impossible to tell the difference if there is any.

I shot the picture in outside natural light and it's obvious that Wimbledon white is one of those colors that doesn't photograph well as in real life it's a nice creamy off white

Anyway, here's the picture.
    IMG_0809.JPG
    The best part is that my Wheel Vintiques wheels came with a high quality powder coat primer and can be color powder coated with just a little cleaning. :cool:

-Brent- likes this.
  2. Larry,the wheels on my beater sedan are oyster white powder coat as is the grille insert. HRP

[​IMG]

Blue One likes this.
  3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

There you go Danny now you can say they are Wimbledon white ;)

4. oj

oj

Thanks for that, I wanted to do my firewall in a checkerboard with wimbledon white, now I know the RAL 1013 is what I need to tell my painter.

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Ford never knew they had a powdercolor.:eek:

6. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Wimbledon white is just one of those Classic colors. Nice detective work Larry.

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

It's going to look good on the wheels and firewall in contrast to the Washington blue. :cool:

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Well, I just dropped the wheels off at the powder coating shop so we are good to go .
    Once they are done I'll get my new Excelsior radials mounted on them. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    -Brent- likes this.