Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs To buy or not to buy (a '51 4-door Hornet)...that is the question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sacksenheim, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Muffy Bennett

Muffy Bennett
    from Arizona

Do you love it? Then buy it.

Do you want those upgrades to it? Then go for it.

Who cares what peeps have to say about 2 versus 4 doors, or "Hornet haters." This is all about YOU and YOUR individuality, and what YOU want.

"Just do it."

(And be sure to keep us appraised of your progress!)

;)
    Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

0NE BAD 51 MERC and triman62 like this.
  2. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I like Hudson Hornet 4-doors!!! I think the style is very appealing to a 4 door model....I would be proud to drive that car....nodding my head in appreciation as gawkers drive by on the road beside me....thumbs up in my book!;):D

triman62 likes this.
  3. jvpolvere1

jvpolvere1

The car is unique, and not the same, in appearance OR PRICE, as a similar Chevy or Ford. Better built, better riding, better looking. Enough said,
    Jim

Sent from my SM-T377V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

triman62 likes this.
  4. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

hornets are cool. keep the 6. that car dominated nascar in the early '50s. lots of rodders have put big v-8s in them--early hemis, buicks, etc. the main problem is the center-mount idler arm. back in the day that was solved by using a hammer on the oil pan...

triman62 likes this.
  5. stangman05gt

stangman05gt
    from illinois

my bucket list car! get it if ya can.

triman62 likes this.
  6. Sacksenheim

Sacksenheim
    from Phoenix

Purchased today, will be delivered to tomorrow. $4,500 cash money talks. I'll keep everyone posted.

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats

triman62 likes this.
  8. Good score and good-looking Hornet. You will love this car with all of its Hudson drive train. You really can't improve on it with anything else. I'm a Hudson maniac so if you have any questions about where to get parts or otherwise feel free to contact me. Ken
    [email protected]

Sent from my A520L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

triman62 likes this.
  9. Sacksenheim

Sacksenheim
    from Phoenix

Ken! I will undoubtedly take you up on that offer.

10. triman62

triman62

Congrats on your purchase, looks like a decent car for a decent price.

11. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

12. Gravydog

Gravydog

All right, I've been lurking on this site for a long time, but I had to join to comment about this Hudson. I live in Canton Ohio and work with the guy who used to own this car. He sold it about a year and a half ago to someone who wanted to do a restoration, but obviously that hasn't happened, which is probably a good thing, we all know the easiest thing in the world is to take a car apart. The guy I work with owned the Hudson for only a few years, but knew about it for a very long time, it was parked in the garage of the house across the street from him for decades, like they just parked it one day and quit driving it.
    Any way when my co-worker bought it he fixed a few things and started driving it, it seemed like a pretty solid reliable car, I rode in it 1 time, the local O'riellys had a customer appreciation lunch, so 7 full sized guys piled into the Hornet and went to lunch, you should have seen the looks when we all kept coming out of the car!
    I never personally looked under the car, but I don't remember any rot, maybe a little rust, but no rot, and it seemed like a very complete car. This is not a car I would want to restore, but clean up a little, preserve and drive the way it is.
    I will show him this thread on Monday and see if there are any details I can fill in, he is not a computer guy, doesn't even have a cell phone, that's why I haven't used his name, he probably wouldn't like that. If you got it for $4500, I think that's about what he sold it for.

13. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Well done. Enjoy.

14. Sacksenheim

Sacksenheim
    from Phoenix

Here we go!

Attached Files:

15. That's good news for the OP! It's a runner. They are only original once. Way more interesting than some preened boring restoration.

Cool looking ride.

patmanta likes this.
  16. Sacksenheim

Sacksenheim
    from Phoenix

Man I just saw Gravydog's comment and I couldn't be happier to hear that. I think as it sits it needs a tune up, and some front end work to make it safe. Then I want to add seat belts so I can take the kids to school in it. I'll be coming back here and checking out HET to gain some knowledge but my first question is this:

The motor that's in there is a straight 6, let's assume it's the original. What do I gas this bastard up with? I'm assuming regular low test fuel and maybe a lead additive? Also, what kind of oil does she take?

slv63 likes this.
  17. Use Lucas top cylinder lube in the gas. I spoke with a Lucas representative about this and that is their lead substitute but they can't call it that due to EPA reasons. I just try to run ethanol free fuel in mine. It does like premium but doesn't get it often. I run 15w/40 oil. Your water pump is probably going to start leaking before too long as they normally do after they have set for a while. Dale cooper is a good source for that.
    Let me know what parts you think you will need in the future and I can probably point you in the right direction. I love the Hudson!

18. Sacksenheim

Sacksenheim
    from Phoenix

Ken,

She sits in the garage right now. It died around the corner from the house a couple of weeks ago. Long story short, I blame it on the voltage regulator. Rather than replace a 6V regulator I am getting ready to just convert the car to 12V. I had the starter opened up and taken care of. I need to get the alternator and battery obviously and other parts. I'll probably try to do a pertronix ignition and coil at the same time if I can. I don't think it will sit for too long but the Tax Man comes first this year so right now the Hudson sits.

koolkemp likes this.
  19. To buy, or not to buy--that is the question:
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune
    Or to take arms against a sea of troubles

Ah,what the heck buy the Hornet,call yourself Hamlet and nail Ophelia in the back seat! :D HRP

clunker and Hnstray like this.
  20. Did you buy the car? HRP

21. HRP,

He bought it according to post #36.

R29

22. Sacksenheim

Sacksenheim
    from Phoenix

Indeed I did buy it! It's pretty rad! Can't wait to have some fun with it.

23. Corvette Fever

Corvette Fever
    from Michigan

Nothing makes a Kooler rod than cars we thought were ugly when we were kids

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.
  24. What a beauty!
    Give it the TLC it may need and a few upgrades (12 volt, etc)...
    Post us some pics when ya get started.
    Above all else, have FUN this summer................