Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods OK,Mopar guys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 6, 2017.

1. I recently posted a question asking Ford & Chevys guys if they cross the line and if they would own a car from the other camp.

I was chastised by a Mopar guy ~
    So please allow me to make amends,What other Hamb friendly car other than your beloved Mopar would you add to your fleet? HRP

drdave, c1067, Bruce Fischer and 2 others like this.
  2. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

Nothing beats having a bow tie in the driveway, but when it comes to old cars, I'm open to many many possibilities.
    Who wouldn't want a Hudson hornet or an S/C Rambler?
    As for hemi's, why would you spend that much per horsepower when you can do it reliability with GM so much cheaper???
    And old hemi looks cool, but so does a nailhead!

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. MoparTobi

MoparTobi
    from Macon, Ga

I cried and got my way, see it does work. Thanks HRP!

4. das858

das858

As a Mopar guy, it would be tough to cross over. If money was no object, a 1957 Nomad, or a '57 Corvette would be cool. As far as Fords, a 1936 Ford coupe, or a 1939 Zephyr coupe would be great.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

This reminds me of the "letters to the editor" section in all the drag racing mags of the mid - 60's.

HOTRODPRIMER and warbird1 like this.
  6. Ask any top fuel or funny car owner from the late 50's on.

HOTRODPRIMER, Eh-Bone and MoparTobi like this.
  7. I've got umpteen chevies but my one mopar is my fave-o-rite!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

Hemispherical heads are great. Very efficient design, but...... when you are talking about the budget of top fuel and funny cars vs. garage builds you are talking entire world's apart. For the price of a good hemi core, I can build a very nice small block, and since the days of being able to afford to build a faster car than what can be bought off the showroom floor are pretty much behind the average working man, good power and a good looking engine are what we strive for to make a fun car.
    A nailhead up front looks very cool and makes good torque. Torque is where you feel the power in the seat of your pants after all.....
    Old hemi's look cool in front of roadster, but not at that price

HOTRODPRIMER and junkers72 like this.
  9. neonhorse

neonhorse
    from arlington

I have 2 33 plymouths, a 53 Plymouth, a Cummins tow rig and my daily is an 08 daytona. I cant get my wife out of her mustang, and the 48 roadmaster is super cool. Now. Let the flaming begin, my dream car...Nissan r34.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. buford_59

buford_59

I'm known as a pretty staunch GM guy. BOP's and particularly Buicks. Having said that, I've owned Fords too. Also currently a '61 Rambler Cross Country Wgn., and wait for it... a 47 DeSoto sedan. It's gotten me to BTTF's there times. Hope to make it to the East Coast later this summer (New Brunswick).

When I first got it on the road, I attended a Mopar all make show & shine. Ran into a Mopar chum who I always gave a hard time about Mopars (man I'm getting sore fingers typing that word). Anyway I said "Martin the the world has just come to a stop, I've got my DeSoto here." He replies " No, today is the first day of the rest of you life." Nuff said

DoUg

HOTRODPRIMER and 45_70Sharps like this.
  11. Ahh Danny, just take it with a grain of salt. I own a Chrysler Kinda of a Mopar and you don't hear me bitching. LOL. Bruce. P.S did you make it through those storms ok yesterday? I heard parts of S.C. got clobbered. I saw Columbia had some bad flooding down there.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. Once I get the carb straighten out on the 56 Chrysler I want to trade it for another OLDER station wagon.Bruce.

HOTRODPRIMER and Flat Six Fix like this.
  13. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Everyones offended.....

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Watch out, here come the Studebaker, Pontiac,Oldsmobile, Cadillac, Lincoln,Mercury,Hudson......
    ....Rambler, Buick, etc, etc.
    They all want their Participation Trophies. Lol

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. I did say Hamb friendly! your dream car is far from that. HRP

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  16. A line from the old days---Bawahaha! :D

Remember the squeaky wheel gets the oil! HRP

Bruce Fischer and J. A. Miller like this.
  17. neonhorse

neonhorse
    from arlington

Ok, point taken. Lol

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. being as hard core of a mopar guy as they come I don't mind the other makes. after all it gets old racing the same mopars in the finals. we have to have someone to pick on in the first round. as far as the cost of a hemi goes they have always cost more. quality isn't expensive its priceless the record books have proven that.

HOTRODPRIMER, Bugsy48 and MoparTobi like this.
  19. wicarnut

wicarnut

Not sure on production #'s of old Mopars verses Ford and Chevy, thinking Ford won that battle, in the 50's (styling) and especially 60's (performance) the Mopar group did well IMO. A 33/34 Dodge/Plymouth coupe or sedan is a pretty good looking Hot Rod or restored IMO. I think we all tease Mopar people, Why ? I Don't know the Why, it just seems to be the Norm. I Have some Mopar friends and I've owned a few, have an OT Magnum RT now and like/enjoy it and to answer your dream car HAMB question, have already owned mine, HighBoy Roadster to a 32 full fendered 3 window to a 51 Mercury mild kustom. Putting my 51 Mercury on the market, also our 51 Buick Roadmaster. The only dream car I have not found yet as a Old Timer( my first car 64, had a 57 210 coupe as a kid) is a 57 Chevy BelAir 2 door Hardtop. I have been very fortunate all my life to make my dreams come true, but not sure if I'll step up as a NICE 57 brings Big Bucks (IMO) and working on old cars has worn out for me, my pride will not allow me to pay for work that I can do and have done, so thinking my late model OT cars are what's left for me. I still have the family Midget race car restoration project going and have a few other projects in mind, we'll see what the future brings. We have had a life changing health event in our house and am thinking differently on Alot of things and what I want to do NOW and TOMORROW.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. earlymopar

earlymopar

Almost any make given that I really enjoy cars of any type even though I seriously gravitate toward Mopar. Willys, Austin, Anglia, Studebaker and any other "off-brands" with Mopar power would take preference! - EM

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  21. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

The cool thing about being a Mopar fan is, you can pick and choose from all kinds of manufacturers. ;) This is just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more.

American Motors
    Austin
    Chrysler
    Desoto
    Dodge
    Eagle
    Ferrari
    Fiat
    Hudson
    Imperial
    Jeep
    Maxwell
    Mercedes
    Metropolitan
    Mitsubishi
    Nash
    Packard
    Plymouth
    Ram
    Rambler
    Renault
    SRT
    Studebaker
    Willys

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. I am not a MOPAR guy per say but I did put a 440 in a second gen Camaro once. :D

I wish I had some sort of brand loyalty. :eek:

23. Joatha

Joatha

I am a Mopar guy - own a 66 Barracuda, 68 Barracuda convertible, and a 2006 Dodge 3500. But, there is exactly ONE vehicle I would own from another maker other than Mopar - a 1930 Ford Sport Coupe. I happened to have one already (see my avatar).

There is a good reason I would own that one. I am also a Georgia Tech alumnus and we have the famous Rambling Wreck. It is, of course, a 1930 Ford Model A Sport Coupe. One of these days I'll get to build mine. It will, of course, be hemi-powered (a 1954 354) and I have a nice Mopar 833 4-speed to go behind it as well as an 8.75" Mopar rear end. So, it will be Mopar-powered.

I might be willing to trade the Model A for comparable vintage Mopar - but I am not sure.

BTW, I also do have a 68 Mercury Cougar XR7 sitting in my garage as well. But, it was my father's car (may he RIP) - a project he never finished and really barely started. I am selling it, though.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    HOTRODPRIMER and Flat Six Fix like this.
  24. I am an avid MoPar guy and whenever I get another brand car or truck, I usually don't keep them very long.

25. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  26. texas red dodge

texas red dodge

its been said...that money cant buy you happiness BUT you can buy a MOPAR and that's the same thing

27. You are correct and you really didn't scratch the surface.HRP

Defunct American Automobiles

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  28. Very much a Ford guy, but I couldn't resist my '56 Desoto 2-dr hardtop.... IMO '56 was the best of the Exner designs, still some vestigial Keller features (notably the bulbous roofline and raised greenhouse), but the over-the-top styling excesses haven't appeared yet.

HOTRODPRIMER and AndersF like this.
  29. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

In my misshapen youth I was a tru Bowtie fan, but then I grew up....only joking, and nothing against Chevrolet, Furd well a different movie....LOL
    I owned this for a while, had a 216 3 spd 4.11 rearend, an no i did not paint it, my Buddies hippy wife designed it....LOL

Attached Files:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  30. the list of makes was a good one but needs to add one more. essex.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.