Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods A question for Ford & Chevy guys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 5, 2017.

1. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Well I had a 53 Studebaker with a 327 and 4 speed.Run damn good too,until some idiot ran a stop sign.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'd rather push my Chevys than drive a Ford.;)
    I had a Ford once but I fixed it and put a SBC in it.

Baumi, Montana1, cavman and 1 other person like this.
  3. RmK57

RmK57

Enlighten me on "paing the Ford tax". I need to know so I don't have to pay it.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

I'm basically a Chevy guy. Seemed easier to work on & complete than others (1 size fits all), but I love flathead Fords. Dad bought a used '52 Mainline V8 stick in '56 when my oldest brother got his license. (Dad didn't like driving in Boston - we drove Mom). I have a couple of Chevy trucks, couple of Chevelles, a 327/4 speed Camaro, Nova & '57 Delivery. Most fun car is my '34 Roadster. Have a '51 Ford sedan, mild custom w/flathead I need to finish. Guess I just like what I like.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  5. " I would rather push my Harley than to ride a rice rocket",I had a 1956 panhead and I did get to push it once and I just happened to be wearing that stupid T shirt at the time. HRP

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  6. I'm pro- gm but 58-59 tbirds and Lincoln's are sweet but not a unibody fan. 57-60 Merc are really slick.

Sent from my MotoG3 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. flyboy89

flyboy89
    from So. Cal.

I'm a Ford guy as you can probably tell from the avitar. But I have owned a number of Chevys. A '71 Corvette, '71 Z28,'71 Nova.'67 el Camino. I do like '58 Chevys and wouldn't mind owning one. Not much of a MoPar guy but I do like late '60's Roadrunners.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. I'm a Ford person and also like Cadillacs but there are a couple of Chevrolets I would love to own. One is a 60 Elcamino 348 std. shift, the other is a 61 Impala.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

I have no clue why I am always stuck with fords, price is right, I know it will work and do what I need always some ford that jumps in the way. But they are great trucks!
    This time it happened to be a 49 dodge that got in the way.

When I was 19 or 20, I had a 1949 chevy 1/2 ton that was punkin orange with black fenders.
    I had to do a valve job on it and then it ran sweet. I just had to many vehicles then and sold it.
    Always wanted another but still looking.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. I cut my teeth in pontiacs, nothing wrong with a Chevy. Drove the wheels off of a Buick skylark GS. First wreck was in my dads toronado, wheeled a caddy for a year. Inherited my grandmas toronado. Owned a late model ford truck that I loved till the warranty was up. Every ford that comes thru here has been a royal ass ache, they just aren't fucking normal.
    $200 flex plates, broken oil pump shaft, 12 hr starter, spit out spark plugs,

I really do love the pre-war fords, I currently own 3 of them. They aren't ford powered though. I don't think I'd ever power anything with a ford if I had a choice.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  11. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I'm a Chevy guy although I have owned a lot of different brands as DD, I did by a 26/27 T 2 door sedan body complete when I was young but my Dad made me get rid of it, so my hot rodding had to wait until I was on my own. I would be happy owning any Ford coupe or 2 door sedan 34 or older, but I would want to have it powered by a Chevy!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. too many fords

too many fords
    from Las Vegas

Ford guy, but a bubble top always does it for me.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. When I was in high school, a 55 Ford was about 50 bucks and 55 Chevys were about 500, so that kinda dictated what I drove. Built several Y-Blocks and FE's .
    Later on, when I could afford Pontiacs and Chevs, that's about all I drove and raced.
    But lately, I've been getting this craving for a big solid lifter FE and a 4 speed.
    Maybe in a 56 Customline hardtop?
    I guess what's old , seems new to me now.

Ed Frazier and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. I'm a Ford guy just because I love my shoebox and the flathead motor. Not very practical, but so what? I'm also a Cadillac guy, but that 429 is not very practical either (but it hauls ass)!

I always had Ford pickups, but like an earlier post, that 6.0 diesel is a piece of crap. I have a Dodge now with the Cummins. Love it.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. I wouldn't mind having a '37 Chevy coupe, '67 Chevy 2 or a Fox body with a twin turbo 347. :eek:

I've had a '64 Mustang, '67 Camaro, '69 Nova, '75 Monza, a few other GM's, Rabbit Diesel, but I love my '32 (with a Chebbie in it.). ;)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Always been a Chevy guy but love a ton of mopars and fords. Building the Ford coupe right now, would love to have a coronet or a barracuda. Would love to have a willys gasser. I love em all and I just appreciate old tin. There is a soul to anything from the late 20's to the late 60's and even second gen camaro's. The so called muscle cars today or corvettes have no soul period. Just plastic and computers. There's my two cents worth

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

oldsjoe and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The premium you pay for same aftermarket manufacture same parts for a Ford over what you would pay for that part if it was for a Chevy. It doesn't matter where you want to price parts if you were to price out parts for a 350 Chevy and a 351 Windsor the Windsor pieces will cost a serious percentage more when all is said and done.
    Case in point Comp cams 268/280 cam and lifters for sbc 176.97 from Summit https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-cl12-242-2/overview/make/chevrolet
    Quite similar cam for a 351 ford with 274/286 duration runs193.97 for the cam and lifters and it's that way across the board for hard parts and outtside parts . https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-cl35-246-3/overview/make/ford
    I actually like Fords if they have a flathead or Y block in them and would love to have a 56 Victoria. Newer Fords and I have never got along when it comes to working on them for me. That runs back to when I was working in independent shops and working on anything that came in the door. Fords always beat me up time wise when I was working on them,
    y
    My online Id pretty well sums it up that I favor Chevys but the 48 came to as a 75.00 beater that ran and drove and came with a 194 Chevy II six. I'd have to say ease of parts interchange and cost have been what have kept me with Chevys for the most part. My Chevy 1 ton dualie gets gallons per mile rather than miles per gallon so it doesn't go anywhere if it doesn't have a job to do. It's up to what ever job I throw at it. I'm actually not a real Tri 5 Chevy fan,, I've had a 55 tudor post that I should have kept but it was more trading material to me rather than building material.
    Short list would be a 48/49 Cad fast back or 50-52 hardtop or a 56 Ford two door hard top or 57 two door post or wagon. Truth be known the projects I have now will keep me busy until the body can't do it anymore.

barryvanhook and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  18. squirrel

squirrel

I've owned quite a few chevys over the years. Seems I have picked up a few fomoco rides the past couple years. Only have one now, a bit off topic, 70s Lincoln. Cheap, has the usual Ford problems, but it's a nice clean low mile car. And did I mention, cheap

HOTRODPRIMER and chevy57dude like this.
  19. [​IMG]
    Almost forgot my #1 favorite non-Chevy. Yes, I would violate this stocker.

oldsjoe, HOTRODPRIMER and mgtstumpy like this.
  20. I would go with a 31 Model A coupe, channeled not chopped, or a off topic 66 Mustang fastback.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I'm an opportunist. Anything that comes along that I think I can make look good, I'll do. Right now, I've got 53 Lincs, 61 Dodge, 55 Olds, 49 F1, 50 Chevy delivery, 47 Chevy coupe......

22. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Always been a Ford guy. Currently have my 57 300 and my 61 Starliner. To keep it simple without mentioning any specific yrs/models, anything mid 50's to early 60's GM or Mopar do it for me. Those big GM 2dr. hardtops and sedans are sweet. And those early 60's Mopars with their oddball body styles (that I hated as a kid) will be the first cars I look at if one shows up at a car show.

23. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    As an owner of both Ford and Chevy at the same time, I did see across the line. When I first owned the 58 Chevy Impala, I liked everything about the look, the sound, how fast it was and the accolades for the changes I made for it to be a cool, teenage, daily driver. But, at the time, I longed for a 57 Nomad. I actually wanted a car that I selected and not just because my brother sold it to me when he wanted a VW van for surfing.

Now, do not get any ideas, I was extremely grateful for such a cool car at a reasonable price, but as the Beach Boys sang, “Wouldn’t it be nice…” to be able to choose the car I really wanted. The 57 Nomad was just cool and no one else had one at the time. They just happened to be rare in our local hot rod/custom community.

During my junior year, I had earned enough money to buy a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery. It was purchased mainly because of being able to go to the beach with my surfboard and friends. The Chevy Impala was cool, but it just did not go over in the beach community even when one/two 10 ft surfboards stuck out of the trunk.
    upload_2017-4-6_4-38-38.png upload_2017-4-6_4-38-56.png

You be the judge
    The odd thing was that while I had my 40 Ford Sedan Delivery, I now wanted a 57 Nomad again. (Mainly because of being able to slide the boards farther inwards, to be able to see all around while driving, and lock the wagon.) Plus, the Nomad would be faster and more comfortable. (lock the sedan delivery?...another story)
    upload_2017-4-6_4-43-26.png
    Jnaki

So, for a Chevy guy who became a Ford guy, who wanted a Chevy wagon, it was a crazy time to be a teenager without any money to buy what you wanted. Plus, I could not sell the Impala because my mom liked it and fixed it up for herself. But, in looking back to those times, I wouldn’t change a thing because of those great times adapting to what was available. It was “Fun, Fun, Fun…” The decision was yours and you made the best of the situation….Darryl Hall said it best…”I can’t stop dreaming…”

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  24. Mopar guy here but don't own any at the present time. I like them all but would like to come across a mid to late 50's Caddy.....cheap. A Hudson would be nice too.

25. Life time Chevy guy. Currently have an OT Chevy DD, and a 51 Fleetline. And My current project is my Avatar, 30 coupe. (My first Ford)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. MoparTobi

MoparTobi
    from Macon, Ga

Just based off of the title of this post, I'm offended! Us Mopar guys get left out again. I'm thinking we need to riot or protest or something. We can start at HRP's house! Funny the Chevy and Ford guys want to leave us out all the time, until they want to go fast. Then they start snooping around for our Hemi's to put in their cars.

wraymen and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  27. Danny, I'm a Bowtie man, died in the wool!!!

But, as you know, I have already came to the Dark Side. The Fords I would own...Model A anything, 32 anything, 33-34 coupe or 4-door (don't know why), a 63.5 Falcon Sprint, and Dad's '49 (not any '49, just Dad's)!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. Brett,having owned a 63 1/2 Falcon Sprint and I understand the desire. HRP

brett4christ likes this.
  29. indyjps

indyjps

GM guy, mostly chevy, owned plenty of Fords, mostly Mustang.

When I go to build something, I have Chevy parts piled up so it just makes sense to run a SBC. I run 9" Ford rear in anything I can, 8.8's are looking good too but I've yet to swap one.

All the different Ford engine / trans configurations and general lack of decent heads turned me off. Not trying to start a pissing match, when I started building cars, decent Ford heads were not readily available or high buck. It's averaged out over the years.

Basically I like cheap and easy, seems like it was 1.5-2 times the money to make the same power with a Ford than I can with a bellybutton SBC.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    Montana1 likes this.
  30. Yea but it would have to have a 235 or a flathead to be "trad" :D :D :D

chevy57dude likes this.