Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage Surf Transportation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Surprised this one isn't already here, I'm sure I got the image from HAMB.
    34 Ford PU surfer.jpg

2. robber

robber

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    edcodesign, exterminator and robber like this.
  4. rfraze

rfraze

IMG_0002.jpg My 47 had a 365 horse 327, 4 speed, fenderwell headers, ladder bar rear, and Chianti bottles to hang from the roof slats. Wooden hood support predated current billet offerings. Check r&p seat and Moon gas pedal. No GPS necessary, it would find it's way to Beach Blvd or Pacific Coast Highway with my trusty semi-formal lab Champ by my side. IMG_0002.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Lil32, elgringo71, edcodesign and 4 others like this.
  5. Special Ed

Special Ed

6. indyjps

indyjps

This is an interesting one. As much as surfing and hot ridding have been tied together by popular culture and music, I don't see a lot of actual crossover.
    Consider the time required to get good at either one, it would be a pretty ambitious person to master both, spend hours at the ocean, then spend hours in the garage.

Surf rides were cheap sedans, then wagons or carryalls, my guess was most barely ran and served the sole purpose of being big enough to fit a board. If a surfer had some change left over I'm guessing it went towards new gear and not speed parts.

As romantic as it seems,, I think we've been duped that there were a large number of surfer/racers running around. People that were actually living the life on either side of the hot rodder, surfer line back in the day were many, people on both sides of the line were few.

Feel free to comment on my little theory, always fun discussions on the HAMB.

Keep the pics coming, some very cool builds, the vintage ones are always appreciated.

Gasser 57 and Ghostcruiser like this.
  7. I think you're right, to a degree. As I remember, with the hardcore surf guys it was ALL about surfing. They didn't care much about transportation at all. But, growing up in So Cal, both surfing and hot rodding seemed to just be a part of the mainstream youth culture and most older guys I knew were neither a hardcore surfer nor a hardcore hot rodder, but a little of both. Although, the surf/car "thing" was packaged and commercialized by groups like the Beach Boys and Jan and Dean, it was also a reflection of what kids were "into" in So Cal at the time. I was a little young, but I do remember the cool older guys (they were probably 17 or 18 years old :) ) having surfboards and also being into fast, loud cars. Hell, we were surrounded by coastline and drag strips!

8. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-4-3_4-44-12.png San Onofre
    upload_2017-4-3_4-45-1.png 59 MGA roadster

Hello,

Old family sedans, wagons, and sports cars all made the scene. The surf racks were made for sedans and some wagons, but nobody made racks for the variety of sports cars that filled the So Cal scene. So, owners/surfers had to be creative. This girl's Porsche used the air cooling vents as access to a metal rear rack to hold the board. If the board were longer than 9-10 feet, she would have made something to attach to the rear bumper.

On one of my first trips to the beach to go surfing, my friend had a red, 59 MGA roadster. He made some metal tubing racks coming off of the rear bumper. It looked like a giant staple with padding on the top. He secured it forward to the leading edge of the trunk with a thin strap. The heavy, 45 lbs+ longboards made the triangle support, tied down with the front windshield and it was very sturdy. Two boards strapped down were not going to move or blow off this roadster.

All along the Huntington Beach coastline Hiway 1 was full of all of these surf cars. It was a surf vehicle car show in North Orange County. But, when/if you were able to get into the then, exclusive San Onofre Surf Club beach (North Camp Pendleton), whoa...talk about seeing a surf vehicle car show! Besides the abundance of the family wagons, now, add in some old woodies plus unusual camping trucks and vans. As the old saying goes..."Yowza !"

Jnaki

At the time, the sedans, wagons and sedan delivery cars were the popular thing. But, you would not have known it as everyone waved at two young teenagers shivering in this open sports car going to and from the beach. Yes, we had jackets, but it was cold long drive back to Long Beach. Plus, the boards were almost longer than the small sports car, it was a sight to see going down the road. Chick magnet? Quite possibly… A single girl with a surfboard on a Porsche? Whistles galore…yrmv

9. Like'em all

Like'em all

Here's my 47/49 Willys ... concept and creation started 2002. Sold to fund Hawaii move. Recent relocation to Texas allowed me to track'er down and buy back 12/2016! Built to cruise SoCal favorite surf spots (Doheney/San O).

10. chopped

chopped

In 67 I was in the Marine's at Pendleton. 55 Chevy wagon and a board checked out from the Rec hut. Left the car in the lot when I went to Nam, often wonder what happened to it. Could fall off a board with the best of them, good times.

Mtn Goat and Special Ed like this.
  11. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Chopped,
    That parking lot at Church Beach near the wood housing on the beach road was a mish-mash of surf vehicles. Those of us that were lucky enough to get through the Basilone Gate had it made for parking.(Park and ten steps to the water and two good surf spots) Good surf there and better surf just a short walk up the beach to Lower Trestles. If the Marine SP came to sweep the Trestles area, (illegal to surf there, gov't property until 1971, no public access...) it was a short paddle back down to Church Beach to safety and cars.

Jnaki
    Yes, it was good times back then. But, from 69-75, it was nearly impossible to surf the Lower/Upper Trestles area because of a Western White House on the cliff in San Clemente. (national security was the issue) So, Church Beach was shared with many of our Marine friends.

p.s. The name is Church Beach, the Marine resort beach. There used to be a small chapel there back in the early 60's. So the name is Church Beach, not Churches or Church's, which is a common mistake.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  12. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-4-5_11-25-6.png My 47 had a 365 horse 327, 4 speed, fenderwell headers, ladder bar rear, and Chianti bottles to hang from the roof slats. Wooden hood support predated current billet offerings. Check r&p seat and Moon gas pedal. No GPS necessary, it would find it's way to Beach Blvd or Pacific Coast Highway with my trusty semi-formal lab Champ by my side.
    RFRAZE, MAR 26, 2017 !REPORT!
    SHARE POST#95 UNLIKE + QUOTE REPLY
    upload_2017-4-5_11-25-23.png forgot the clip of the photo that looked like balsa wood surfboards... or?

Hey Rob,
    Very cool woody wagon. That would have been so much fun to drive around So Cal. That certainly would have allowed me to arrive at the many surf spots faster than my plodding 40 Ford Sedan Delivery with a stock Flathead. At first glance, in the background window, there seems to be a couple of balsa wood boards with redwood stringers in the middle. They look like impressive boards.

But, maybe it is a woodcrafter's design shop and storefront. I gave one (Velzy) that looked like the board in window to my brother a long time ago. It is still somewhere in Santa Barbara with his sons. Any history on those boards or is my sight just wishing?
    Junji

13. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Sax,
    Your post is well written. Living in So Cal, it just happens. But, it is also correct that there were times when one took over the other. A repair to the race car needed to take place, so cancel the surf trips, etc. We were relatively hard core surfers, but if car stuff needed to happen, then duty called.

We liked cars first, but by the time we could drive, we learned to surf. My brother started surfing first, but I had to learn, just to keep up with the brotherly competition as teenagers. It took about two years of weekly (during school) and daily during the summer to get really good. Being athletic helped a lot and the gumption that some, little kid sitting next to you at the beach could actually surf better than you. It was teenage pride and all...

But, once our Willys build started, it was very difficult to go to the beach. After the drag racing stopped and during the recovery time, it was helpful that surfing and the locales were so close. The recovery through surfing had purpose and did well for my brother and me. After months of being in the hospital, he was off kilter. After months of surfing and the camaraderie of surfing and friends, it got "waaay" better.

Pretty soon, sorry to say, surfing took on a life of its own with the same intensity of building a hot rod. We were not into contests and big events, but enjoyed surfing adventures that took us to great spots and secluded surfing. For example, several board shops wanted me to surf for them in the big U.S. Championships at Huntington Beach. But, the idea that 1000 surfers would be at the pier for the event spurred us on to go to Trestles in North San Diego County to battle the Marines and surf pristine empty waves. So, like I said, surfing took on a life of its own and we followed willingly like mice to cheese.

Jnaki
    We still had our hot rod cars and cruisers, but the drag racing portion of our involvement in cars ceased for a long while. Now, it was putting all of our energy into our own created surf culture that has lasted for many decades.
    The hot rod culture does last forever, though...it must be something in the air.

Mtn Goat, Saxman, elgringo71 and 2 others like this.
  14. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Love the chute and wheelie bars!:D:D 48olds_dragster_jeff-courtie.jpg

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Isn't there a big woody show in Socal (HB?) every year? There must be some real surf wagons that attend? Gary

16. Special Ed

Special Ed

The largest gathering of woodies anywhere takes place annually (late September) in Encinitas, put on by the National Woodie Club. Wavecrest. It's still free, too! Couple hundred vehicles minimum.
    [​IMG]

rfraze, chryslerfan55 and edcodesign like this.
  17. jnaki

jnaki

Hey SE,
    That woody show is held right by the water in a good sized, parking lot, just off of the I-5 freeway. It is close enough for the significant other and family to spend the day at the beach while you spend hours looking to your heart's content. A short hop away is a place to stay and a well known restaurant. Street parking is a must and walking to the event is the only way to get there.

There are all kinds of woodies there and some are for sale. The San Diego Woody Club is the main sponsor and every year, it is a good show. But, very crowded.

Jnaki
    Get there early for the best photo shots as most of the woodies are surrounded by a ton of "looky loos."

One warning, this portion of the I-5 freeway is the bottleneck of the whole trip from the Orange County Line into San Diego. For some reason, it is always jammed. We call it the "Encinitas Slowdown" and it does, every day...

For visitors from the LA region, there is another bottleneck for you on the way down...in San Clemente, the I-5 freeway is in full construction mode adding several lanes for future car pools. So, it will not be until at least 2018 to clear up the daily massive, super, slow down every single day. Normal traffic: at least doubles...off hours and late night...no problem.
    Pick your times and events...

Wavecrest 2017
    Wavecrest Sponsors
    Wavecrest 2017 Information
    Wavecrest is the largest of all woodie meets. It is always held on the third Saturday of September each year in Encinitas, California. In 2017, the Wavecrest Woodie Meet will be held on:

Saturday, September 16, 2017
    NO ADVANCE REGISTRATION OR FEE IS REQUIRED.
    Wavecrest is an extended weekend packed with many activities, outlined below. This year, the Wavecrest coordinators are Dan Close, Jim Peevey and Scott Melcer. Contact is [email protected].

Thursday Evening, September 14th 5:30- 7:30pm
    DEMA RODS AND WOODIES NITE, ENCINITAS
    This event, sponsored by the Downtown Encinitas Merchants Association, kicks off the Wavecrest weekend activities. This gathering of vintage hot rods and about 80 woodies takes place on historic Highway 101 in Encinitas, CA between D & I streets. Early arrivals from out of town join local woodie owners to begin the Wavecrest experience in an old fashioned cruise night atmosphere. There will be live music and awards, so don’t miss it.

Friday, September 15th 5:00 - 7:00 pm
    WELCOME TO WAVECREST PARTY
    The welcome to Wavecrest Party is held at the pool and cabana area at the Best Western Inn & Suites (hosthotel) on Encinitas Blvd. in Encinitas. This is a great opportunity to get the best selection of Wavecrest merchandise while enjoying some light refreshments and visiting with woodie friends from all over the country.

Saturday, September 16th, 8:00 am – 3:00 pm
    WAVECREST
    This is it …… Wavecrest, the granddaddy of all woodie meets. At Moonlight Beach at the end of Encinitas Blvd in Encinitas, CA you will experience the longest running and largest gathering of woodies in the world. Woodies begin arriving in the wee hours and by 8:00 am there are around 300 woodies of every size, shape, description on display. Throughout the day there is Hawaiian and surf music performed live, along with fabulous raffle prizes and awards for the best of the best. Wavecrest merchandise and food will be available at the event.

Saturday, September 16th, 5:00 – 10:00 pm
    WAVECREST DINNER, RAFFLE, AND AUCTION
    The post Wavecrest evening activities begin with drinks (beer, wine, sodas & water) in the pool/cabana area at the Host Hotel followed by a fabulous buffet dinner. After dinner there will be a raffle/auction which will be limited to high-end woodie items. The evening will end with entertainment in the cabana.

Sunday, September 17th, 8:00 – 10:00 am
    WAVECREST SUNDAY WOODIE CRUISE
    To wrap up your Wavecrest experience, join 80-90 woodies on a cruise from Encinitas to Oceanside and back on the historic Pacific Coast Highway (Hwy 101). The cruise (approx. 25 miles) will begin at the Encinitas Civic Center parking lot at 8:00 am and proceed north to the Oceanside Harbor with a photo-op stop on the beach below the Oceanside Pier. If you didn’t bring your woodie to the event, you can still join the fun by hitching a ride on the cruise.

Suggested Accommodations – book early
    HOST HOTEL: BEST WESTERN ENCINITAS INN & SUITES, 85 ENCINITAS BLVD, ENCINITAS (760) 942-7455
    Ramada - Carlsbad by the Sea - 751 Macadamia Dr., Carlsbad (760) 438-2285 ( Room for trailers!) www.ramdacarlsbadhotel.com
    Ocean Inn, 1444 N. Coast Highway 101, Encinitas, (760) 436-1988 www.oceaninnhotel.com
    Days Inn, 133 Encinitas Blvd, Encinitas, (760) 944-0260 (Right below the Host Hotel)
    Holiday Inn Express Encinitas-Cardiff by the Sea 1661 Villa Cardiff Dr. (760) 944-0427
    Quality Inn, 186 N. Coast Highway 101, Encinitas (760) 944-0301
    Howard Johnson, 607 Leucadia Blvd, Encinitas (760) 944-3800 (formally Holiday Inn)
    Holiday Inn Express, 621 S. Highway 101, Solana Beach (858) 350-0102
    Inns of America, I-5 @ Poinsettia, 755 Raintree Dr, Carlsbad (760) 931-1185
    Inns of America Suites, 5010 Avenida Encinas @ Cannon, Carlsbad (760) 929-8200

Mtn Goat likes this.
  18. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

As mentioned in an earlier post, running ads for wheels, hot rod parts and such in the surf magazines was a waste of money. Cragar was running full color, full page ads and gave up too. Here's my '46 Pontiac woodie next to my Tornado at at a Beach Boys concert at Ft. Lewis college some years back. Used to tell people that I surfed the Animas River from my house to town. Little did I know that I was a Stand Up Paddleboarder before anyone else even knew the term! DSC02331.JPG DSC02336.JPG

19. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

20. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

21. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] Ozzie GM (Holden) wagon

Lil32, exterminator and Mtn Goat like this.
  22. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Lil32, Mtn Goat and exterminator like this.
  23. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

24. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

25. I graduated from Corona del Mar High School, which is in Newport Beach, CA. Senior year we used to surf most mornings before school and come into first period with hair still dripping wet. If The Wedge was breaking there was a good chance we didn't make it to school. After school we hang at one of the guys house's, listen to some music, maybe get a little high and harass the girls and then about 5:00 head to Big Corona for the Glass Off. Weekends were either Dirt Bike racing at Saddleback or heading up or down the coast to ride some other waves. Most of my buddies drove one of three types of "Surf Wagon" - a Ford, Chevy or Dodge "Surfer Van", a mini truck (Datsun's mostly) or a VW (Bus, type III, Cal Look Bug, Baja, or a Ghia - didn't matter). The majority had mag wheels, hawaiian print interiors and curtains and were generally pretty nice, but always had sand in the carpet. This was early 70's

37hotrod, indyjps, rod1 and 2 others like this.