Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Lowering a 52 Buick Special

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by J2thesea, Mar 29, 2017.

1. J2thesea

J2thesea

So, I have a 52 Special. I read through a lot of the threads on here and elsewhere about coil springs to lower her down. I've seen 79 El Camino springs and Jeep Cherokee springs a lot. I have also read conflicting accounts of El Camino springs not fitting in the front. Does anyone have a definitive answer to this? I plan on adding tube shocks inside the springs and keeping the partly functioning lever-action shocks in place. Hoping I can get confirmation on fit, before I start buying stage. Thanks for any info!

level2526 likes this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. nh-lead-man

nh-lead-man

BUICK MAN Cut a coil and a half in front use a 7 in slicer wheel WEAR GLOVES!! Takes it down like 3 in. Tires still clear. It will ride the same as changing springs you have to drop the lower a arms any way Use the weight of the car to compress the spring to bolt it up now its shorter. Chevy astro van springs?

4. Pacecar32

Pacecar32

IMG_0945.JPG On my 54 Buick I bought 3 in lowered coils all around from Jamco and also got shocks. They custom build for your car taking consideration on what make, model and engine you have. I installed and the height measures very equal height all around. Im happy but have not drove the car yet because brakes aren't done yet.

5. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

What size wheels and tires are you running on your Buick pacecar

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Pacecar32

Pacecar32

15x7 rims, 205/75 and 215/75

7. level2526

level2526

8. BigOl'Buick

BigOl'Buick
    from Vegas

Any luck on springs yet? I cut mine on my 52.. Way too much tho, rode on bump stops for a couple years until my buddy lowered his 68 deville. He gave me his old springs which were crazy tall, i cut em down and they worked alright. Diameter was correct too. I'm sure if you cruise a scrap yard any 80's and older car will have what you need. Measure total height of your stock spring decompressed, diameter, gap between coils, and coil thickness. You don't have to be exact, but if you're in the ball park on the gap and thickness, just find one shorter and you should be good.
    Hope that helps.