Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Moon Argument

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Mar 29, 2017.

1. sdroadster

sdroadster

Strapped in a 1000 hp Street Roadster. How do you like them Moons... 10154196_902423196436330_48605500517894570_n[1].jpg

marioD, Montana1 and Petejoe like this.
  2. I would but it would just piss you off.
    mean-devil-smiley-emoticon.gif

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Go ahead. Which do you like better. The Olds Fiestas or the Dodge Royal Lancers? Maybe we could do a poll? I could ask Charlie which he likes better. I am partial to the Royal Lancers. But I don't think they came in 15 and 18 inch sizes.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  4. I think lancers on streamliner would be rad, maybe some fuzzy dice. :D :D

Anything that has to do with going faster than is sane needs a performance type of a wheel cover. Face it moon discs were for speed, they got adopted by the street crowd and that didn't hurt a thing but they had everything to do with cheating the wind. ;)

jchav62 likes this.
  5. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

[​IMG] porknbeaner - "...moon discs were for speed, they got adopted by the street crowd and that didn't hurt a thing..."

Right. On some cars they look great. My Stude has slicks too, but really just for looks. That ol' 259 couldn't spin those things if it's life depended on it.

6. We use them at Bonneville - they help reduce drag, are easy to take on/off and work quite well. I say ask your friend if this is ugly: LOL

FlatCad_spd7992.jpg

7. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

For me personally, any LSR car must have them. They're not my favorite wheel design but they do make a statement on the right car with the right attitude.

Here's something different. How about Dean Moon popping his namesake caps onto Wally Parks' "Suddenly" 1957 Plymouth racer when it was still a new car.

[​IMG]

The same car after being flat-towed to Daytona Beach from SoCal.
    Ray Brock, Harry Duncan, Willie Garner, Bill Likes, Wally Parks
    [​IMG]

Wally Parks about to start a run.
    [​IMG]

8. Well I don't like the color of it. But the moons are OK. :D :D :D

Quick question, Off topic but indulge me, I'm old. ;) The lack of front fenders, is that a class thing or just lack of front fenders.

9. Colin HD

Colin HD

What about the MQQN Saturn discs?

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

i think the plan is that it has less drag without the front fenders than with them. It can either way.

11. Thanks.
    Maybe my thinking is antiquated but open wheel in my mind means drag. I guess as skinny as they are they make for a lot less frontal area than the fenders on that car would have.

12. plan9

plan9

You got it, less frontal area means less displacement of air moving forward. Definitely not the greatest look but that is the accepted method for 1940's bodied coupes/sedans for a long time. I started building a 3D simulation so i could test some ideas, just need to finish it (story of my life!!). Considering using my 40 coupe for racing but the fenders would have to stay on.

13. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I turned 16 in the mid 1980s I had a bright orange 62 Nova Hardtop (400 sbc). The second year it was on the road, I drilled holes in my Cragers and screwed on the moons. None of my contemporaries liked it but man the old guys dug it! So did I...

14. kaydub

kaydub
    from Cali

15. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Kool!

Those discs definitely streamlined that sleek A coupe!

16. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Opinions are like .... oh you know, but I don't think this car could look any better ... on the right car MOONS are perfect!

18034203_10212324015039369_2785120502750418366_n.jpg

HEMI32, kidcampbell71, Sancho and 3 others like this.
  17. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. titus

titus

19. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

There's something about snap-on Moon (or replica) discs that cries out "wannabe". Ya really can't run them in competition, you know.

Atwater Mike and lurker mick like this.
  20. The only type I've ever ran are ones that are held on with 3 DZUS fasteners - at Bonneville

21. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Stock class rules allow cars to run stripped of anything that can be unbolted like fenders, headlights, running boards. What to remove is a matter of choice. The 37 Chev appears to be chopped which would put it in a modified class opening the door for even more modifications.

Stock class rules allowed the car to be stripped for competition but the body must be 'unaltered in height width and contour' which is why you didn't see channeled roadsters in the west. It put you at a disadvantage at Bonneville and on the dry lakes. So it was not fashionable, even for cars that did not compete. In the east and midwest they didn't care about that, they wanted a low look and channeling was one way to get it.

22. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

Someone around here drives a Chevy Volt with some homemade discs on it, presumably for aerodynamic purposes. Strangely enough, it kind of works with the "futuristic" styling.

23. Hmmmmmmnnnnn I never thought of the class rules for the difference in hotrod styling between the mid west and the west coast.

I am from the west coast and have always preferred channeled rods. probably because it was just easier and cheaper. Well that and LSR was not the influence that it once was on the north by the time that I came around. ;)

That's solid logic Rusty. :cool:

24. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

That is a hypermiling thing, an attempt to get better mileage by streamlining everything. A lot of hypermilers use Walmart pizza pans for hub caps. They look like moon discs and fasten on the same way but only cost a couple of bucks.

25. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

26. @RichFox you would remember this better than I would. Seems to me like it used to be ( maybe still is) that you had to leave the head lights in place in stock class but you were allowed to turn them around backward. Am I mistaken, is that just something that only lives in my head?

@Ryan sorry to hijack the thread man, I know its about moon discs but my curiosity is getting the best of me.

27. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I have seen pictures with the head lights turned around. Don't know if that was Bonneville. Wouldn't fly today.Again 5.E.1. No streamlining allowed. 6th paragraph.

28. Just curious. I know you could run 'em turned around backward on that dry lake North of Reno when I was little. But that was a different timing association and maybe that is where I got it in my head. I figured if anyone knew it would be you. You're older. :D :D :D

Thanks my friend. ;)

29. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Quoting Lebowski: "Well, that's just like, your opinion, man..."

porknbeaner likes this.
  30. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Little Mood Disc trivia here... When I bought my screw-on discs from Dean, (he was in a 'talkative' mood that day) I mentioned that I built 'B' Team Racers, for Control Line racing (model airplanes, 24" wingspan, fast .29 engines)
    Dean said he was familiar, and I mentioned that I used the Japanese wheels, smooth tires on spun aluminum wheels...
    Looked like Moon discs. These wheels were mfd. in the '40s, came in some of the imported kits right after the war.
    He said, "Yeah, they looked like those..."