Register now to get rid of these ads!

Please Post Why you help the *APPRECIATIVE* people that ASK for help.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by henryj1951, Mar 31, 2017.

1. verde742

verde742

It seems to me when I wore a younger man's clothes people would come to visit and my Grandpa would say "tell us about yer trip,' and then the stories started. My Grandpa said if you listen to how Uncle Warren fixed his car to keep it moving until he got to help. You can use his same method.
    Now when they say "tell us about yer trip?. Its " we went to airport, and rented a new car and "here we are."

BTW: somebody direct me to info about a 1953 Ford Jubilee TRACTOR > OHV 4 cyl, Carb /ignition issues. Parts.
    Thanks...

2. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't help the appreciative people who ask for help. I help everybody who asks for help, where I am able to provide it.

I don't help people expecting anything in return, even gratitude. I help people because they need help, and I feel good helping them.

Not everybody expresses gratitude the same way. Some people feel shameful for having had to ask for help. I don't push the issue.

All I hope for is that one day they will pay it forward.

4. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

^ -n- I for one, am glad that you do...
    THANK YOU

Appreciative, was just some buzz word, coulda / woulda /shoulda, picked out a different / better one, but hay like Tom Cruise ( Vincent ) said , in the movie Collateral ---
    "Improvise. Adapt to the environment.
    Darwin. "Shit happens." The I *
    Ching...whatever. Roll with it..."

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    gimpyshotrods likes this.
  5. carbking

carbking

Verde - try antiquetractor.com

And the original carb on that Jubilee is virtually bulletproof. Now the current clone from the other side of the planet that looks similar to the original is a different story. If you decide to buy one, suggest you buy them by the case!

Jon.

verde742 and henryj1951 like this.
  6. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I think its good to help all . Even the unappreciating ones. It just might be another step toward making them realize they need to be appreciative. Most of us took things for granted until that magical day that we got it. Sometimes we just have to humble ourselves and let people screw up at our expense.

henryj1951 likes this.
  7. verde742

verde742

henryj1951 likes this.
  8. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Todays younger crowd just dont have that humble trait. At the Buffalo Motorama ,i had to find 50 kids to help judge the Kids Choice Award. 9 kids asked me "What do I get". So expecting the youngers to follow up with thank you is tough.
    Its basically a respect thing. If helping others on here wasnt so free flowing and GREAT, this site would shrivel up like a poked balloon. Saying the words Thank You is not that hard.

Thank You! I appreciate the time you spent reading my response.
    Respectfully, James L Federspiel

henryj1951 likes this.
  9. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Thank You James

10. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

I think the reason we are here is to learn and help with problems. Hot rodding has been around since Moby Dick was a minnow, and I don't see it ever going away, and I think it is growing every day.

henryj1951 likes this.
  11. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I spent 38-years in Customer Service for a machine tool manufacturer in several positions - Customer training, Field Service Engineer, staff assistant and asst. Service Manager. I found early on that I had a real affinity for that type of "work" and being able to help people through a problem to a successful resolution. I'd go home at night with a sense of satisfaction of having done a job well and made somebody's life easier. Never made a ton of money at it, but I was where I was destined to be and enjoyed it.

I still like to help people out, but am aware that not everybody wants or needs help, so I bite my tongue and wait to be asked. I'd love to mentor youngsters on automotive endeavors, but these days sadly, I wouldn't take the chance.

weps and henryj1951 like this.
  12. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Now sometimes, the type of help I need , is manual ...
    Getting old, I just ain't as FAST er ,repetively flexible, as i once was, ie; picking things up off of the floor, over 200 times a day...

dana barlow, Petejoe and olscrounger like this.
  13. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As someone who has benefitted from the depth of knowledge on this forum, I can tell you from my own experience here that I have learned much and I pass forward when I can. I figure that is a tribute to the ones who have educated me. I mean that sincerely.

jeffd1988 and henryj1951 like this.
  14. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

"The Alps are a simple folk, living on a diet of old shoes. And the Lord Alps those who alp themselves."
    Groucho Marx
    Bildschirmfoto 2017-04-04 um 20.09.32.png

I help people because everything that I can give into the society makes the whole society better. For all of us.

jeffd1988, clunker and wraymen like this.
  15. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Again thats what its all about.... thank you el caballo

16. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

It surely is!! No other reason needed!!

henryj1951 likes this.
  17. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

I was fortunate enough to have guys like my dad and uncles helping me and mentoring me early on. now that I have garnered some knowledge along the way, I have been able to help each of them. Before my dad passed from complications of Alziemers, I was putting together an engine on the stand. He asked me where I learned how to do that, it appeared I was good at it. He did not remember he had taught me. I replied some old timer had showed me years ago. He was happy with that answer. I didn"t have to tell him that he had, and he had forgotten how to do it.

18. RTi04

RTi04

As someone who is new to the old car game, I try to be as appreciative as possible for the help you guys offer. I was just talking to a friend the other day about how much of a game-changer forums like this are. I don't know how people did it before the internet - other than a lot of trial and error. It's an incredible thing to have a place where people can share such a huge depth of knowledge, and I don't think that's something to be taken for granted. Having been a long-time member of a newer-car forum, I totally get how you can get jaded when you see new members asking questions that have been answered a million times before (which, I'm sure I'm also guilty of), but as someone new to this, I am very grateful for all the help I've received on here so far. Compared to similar forums, there tends to be way less ego and sarcasm on here - more of a community of like-minded enthusiasts, which is really refreshing and encouraging. So thanks!!

jeffd1988, porknbeaner and henryj1951 like this.
  19. All I know is that when I started this journey, my knowledge of working on/building old cars was limited (to say the least). This place was the single most source of quality information on the subject.
    What I now know is a drop in the bucket compared to many here. But every day I'm out in the barn trying something new, I'm gaining knowledge.
    I will give back by sharing what I've learned to others on this site.

henryj1951 likes this.
  20. I hear ya on that. There are days that I know for a fact that this is a young man's game. ;)

I think that I have gone from sprinter to marathoner. I move really slow and try to not have to back up and regroup. As a country guy said, "I not as good as I once was, but I as good once as I ever was." [Toby Keith]

I think that I need to confess, I don't really care if any one appreciates what I try and help them with but I have written a few off over the years too. I don't always have the best attitude toward people and while I don't need appreciation, I do need a little respect. When I try to help someone and they give me a case of the ass I stop helping. That probably makes me a bad person but I am just me, I'm not really good at being anyone else. :oops:

clunker, dana barlow and henryj1951 like this.
  21. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

And then there are a few,THAT know you know what you're doing, and yet they despise , ah despise is to harsh of a word , they just dis like you , because you make them look bad in the eyes of their followers.

Fordors, dana barlow and porknbeaner like this.
  22. Back in the day before Al Gore invented the internets, all we had was car books, car magazines and each other to rely on for help. There was always some guy who was an expert in something. All of us had at least one area of expertise.

jeffd1988, clunker and henryj1951 like this.
  23. That was how we got by for sure.^^^^^

Algore also invented global warming. LOL I heard on the news this morning that one group is claiming that global temps will rise 130% over the next 50 years. It gets into triple digits hare ever year so a 100 degree day will be 230 degrees before the turn of the century. if I live that long my car is going to have a cooling problem that even the HAMB can't cure. :rolleyes: :D

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  24. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Quick sneak in question---- see i don't know it all.... What roller rocker arm (BRAND ) Is this?

unknown.jpg unknown1.jpg unknown2.jpg unknown-C15.jpg Quick sneak in question---- see i don't know it all.... What roller rocker arm (BRAND ) Is this?

25. Nope. You're wrong. You're one of the nicest people here. You're always giving great advice.

26. fordrodsteven

fordrodsteven

There was an earlier post where someone talked about how different it must have been in the "old days" before the internet. I can tell you I am not an expert but I am capable and I am more than happy to share when I can. I tend to hang back sometimes because I see many people on the web site are there before me to lend that "helping hand". I remember when I was first working on cars it was under the guidance of my dad. Basically he showed me to remove and replace. I caught the bug. I am very technically astute and started getting books / magazines to get more information. I would read all the articles in the Hot Rod and Car Craft magazines. I would try things on my own cars. When I was with other guys I was usually the "tutor" I never got rid of my Motor's manuals, Chilton's manuals and Haynes manuals. I have held onto magazines that had tech sections on carb rebuilds, wiring, ignition, suspension improvements, painting a car. I also took a night course in auto body so I would have some idea what I was doing. I'm still very old school but I look to the internet very often nowadays to see and learn about newer parts and upgrades. I read different posts here from peoples projects and I even learn from reading about other peoples problems / solutions. I am thankful you guys are here and I see ideas bounced around and different solutions. It is so much better, in my opinion, because I can come to the computer and get information from you guys located all over the world. Guys who have "been there, done that" You guys are "the best!" and I plan to keep coming here for information, guidance, assistance and to share projects and knowledge as many of you have.

27. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Correct, no shit, sharp man.

clunker likes this.
  28. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

I was fixen chit long before i had ANY books, 4 years old, it was because i was copying what i saw, you know how kids do playing grown up, those older people WORKING/fixing ( IOWA farm roots) mostly out of NECESSITY.
    Like the girls playing dress up, only the boys dug dirt messed in the sand (Tonka trucks) .
    My DAD got me my first book at 8 (i already had cars as gifts to fix LONG before 8 more like 5/6 /7 (( so i could follow the wiring semantics to rewire an old 48 ford.
    Man those cars were big.
    I just NEVER STOPPED fixin...lol

29. Thanks. My Pappy always tol' me I had a flare for the obvious. When I tried to make a career out of it, it lead me to the soup kitchen....

henryj1951 likes this.
  30. Looks like a crane. I could be wrong but I have a set of cranes that look like that.

If it is stainless it is most likely a crower or a comp cams. I think that crowers are more sculpted and the comps are not. I am thinking from about 10 years ago so my memory could be foggy.

There is a guy with a shoebox Ford that may very well disagree with you. :D I finally quit following him and there are two things I don't see his questions or his behind. ;)

clunker likes this.