Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What battery?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mcmopar, Apr 3, 2017.

1. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I have been reading and learning about batteries, but still unsure about which one I should buy. I am looking for a small one, but I still want around 600cca. I have seen some the size of a motorcycle battery with 600cca, but how long will it crank when its that small. I know that some can lay on there side with no problem. I have a pretty stock dodge 318 in the truck and can put the battery anywhere I want, but I would like the battery in my hands before I mount it so I know where to. Is there anything else I should be looking for when getting a battery?
    Tony

2. BJR

BJR

I just went through that with my 49 Buick. I found that the smaller the battery the higher the cost, and that they were not readily available just anywhere. If you have a small battery and it craps out on you in a small town, you may not be able to find one that will fit in your battery tray. I ended up buying a standard size battery and putting it under the floor, the only place big enough for it to fit. I was going to put a small one in the engine compartment.

pecker head likes this.
  3. You can't always get everything you want. You will not get the cranking reserve at 600 amps with a small battery as compared to a bigger one. I like to get a series 24 battery, they fit most standard cases and are readily available anywhere. I'm using a 24 series Exide in my Ford, cranks great and looks good. Mine is in the stock location but I used an AFCO battery box.

BJR likes this.
  4. 55styleliner

55styleliner

5. I run a Dynabat, it is the size of a Motorcycle battery and cranks my Stude 289 with no trouble. My first one lasted 8 years with no trouble. I also have a stick, so worst case I have to push start the car in a bind.

6. wicarnut

wicarnut

What ever battery you choose, buy a Deltron battery tender, since I started doing this, have no battery problems as my hobby cars tend to sit too much like most and that kills battery life, have some going on 8 years now.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

I buy batteries at Walmart, that way I can buy a replacement easily if needed when I'm on a trip. And they cost less there, too. Wife and I have 8 vehicles on the road, so spending only $50 per car per five years is a reasonable way to save money. I have a group 26 battery in my Chevy II, it's about the smallest, cheapest top post battery you can get at WM. And it works fine cranking my blown 427.

I replace batteries every 5 years whether they need it or not, because they all lose capacity over time, and I don't want to have "no start" issues. Regular scheduled maintenance is a good thing.

But if you are looking to spend a lot of money, there are all kinds of neat racing batteries you can get these days.

8. Gman0046

Gman0046

My advice to anyone needing a battery is to buy the cheapest one you can find that will fit your application. Thats the best way to save you money in the long run. We all know US batteries are manufactured by two companies. What difference does the name on the batteries outside make if they are made by the same manufacturer? Definitely would never even think of buying those red and yellow topped batteries which in my estimation a complete waste of money.

Gary

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    Montana1 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  9. robracer1

robracer1

Odyssey pc 925 can be mounted anywhere even upside down, I belive they're mostly used in snowmobiles

3340 likes this.
  10. I avoid anything too "special". The battery in my bike for instance is pretty stout, but it is made to crank 80 cubes with a gear reduction starter. It doesn't have the plate area of a car battery. If it doesn't lite by about the 3rd try I am kicking it.

Just look for a car battery, acid and lead with about 600-700 cold cranking amps and use it.

dana barlow likes this.
  11. I'm sold on Interstate batteries. Got them in everything.

lothianwilly71 and porknbeaner like this.
  12. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are several advantages of AGM over standard wet cell automotive batteries that should be a factor in battery choice. Price difference used to be a big factor, not so much any more if capacity/guarantee are comparable.

13. Gman0046

Gman0046

Lothiandon1940, not trying to be argumentative but do you have any idea who manufactured your Interstate Battery? It wasn't Interstate they don't manufacture batteries. They only sell batteries with Interstates name on them. It could very well have been manufactured by Johnson Controls and be an exact duplicate of a Walmart battery that you could have bought for less money.

Gary

Montana1 likes this.
  14. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

just because two batteries are manufactured by the same company doesn't mean they're the same internally. They will be manufactured to meet the specification set by the purchasing company. Every group 24 manufactured by Johnson Control or East Penn is not created equal.

3340 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. Gman0046

Gman0046

Two batteries made by the same manufacturer could be different but conversely they could also be the same if the manufacturing specifications for purchasers were the same. Could happen.

Gary

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    Montana1 likes this.
  16. squirrel

squirrel

One thing's for sure, the companies selling them take different "cuts"....

17. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I have a Interstate battery place near by that sells them for around $40. I planned on staying away from the red and yellow top ones. After reading everyone's response it sounds like I should get the cca I want and mount it and be done. I think I was overthinking this one. Thanks

18. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I believe the answer is NO but I'm going to ask. If I have the correct size battery cable do I need more cca the further away it is from the starter.

19. squirrel

squirrel

You probably "need" about 300 cca, eh? As long as it is not a real long run, you should be OK.

Please excuse the spelling. I posted this with my phone.

20. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

On one of the auto forums a guy said his kid worked at one of the battery manufacturers over a summer, as they rolled off the battery production lines each is measured for voltage. The ones that measured highest get the longest warranty, the ones that don't, won't.

Generally there is no difference (besides price) between a 72 month or 36 month battery, just the label on the case. They are betting you won't ever need the warranty.

The smart chargers or maintainers are excellent for keeping batteries healthy and serviceable and will pay for themselves. Any battery will self-discharge over time especially in warmer temperatures, this will result in heavy sulfation and permanent loss of capacity. Keep them charged and they will give good service for many years. Batteries that sit for long periods half-charged will often have problems and can damage alternators and other electrical innards.

21. You and me both. Interstates are good batteries.

22. I can't speak to whether Interstate batteries are the same as Wal-Mart batteries or not. All I can speak to is the good luck I've had with Interstate batteries. I had one in an OT '96 T-Bird that was sixteen yrs' old and still was working fine. I replaced it with another simply because I didn't want to press my luck. That impressed me enough to keep using them exclusively until I lose faith in them. I have them in 5 vehicles presently.

23. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

The problem there, a lot can happen in 16 years. They may have changed owners and suppliers three or four times since then and are now manufactured by slave labor in Cambodia.

24. ..............That is true. It is a distinct possibility. If that is the case though, rest assured that the Wal-Mart ones are being constructed by the same Cambodians.:rolleyes:

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  25. squirrel

squirrel

The last time I had a really old battery (8-10 years old), it started the car fine when all was well, but that one time I went to the car wash and got the ignition wires wet and had to crank it more than 5 seconds, it left me stranded. That kind of taught me a lesson about how the capacity of any car battery will degrade over time.

The WalMart batteries are made in Mexico, eh?

Like oil, favorite battery brand discussions are mostly not based on facts.

26. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Back to the original question, if battery size is an issue, and you have room for 2 smaller batteries, keep in mind you can always run multiple batteries in parallel for increasing the CCA without increasing the voltage. In series will increase the voltage but not the CCA.

I've also seen some guys experimenting pretty successfully by mounting groups of small low voltage (~20vdc) electrolytic capacitors together in parallel with a small car battery to keep the weight and size down. Capacitors have about limitless charge/discharge cycles, and are great for providing instantaneous output of full load, as well as almost instantaneous recharge to full charge level. The problem is with losing charge over time. That's where running parallel with a small battery helps. I've seen these arrangements easily light the engine off after sitting several days.

Note, this is where the heavy duty truck market is moving as well, with at least one commercial product on the market now. I think it's an idea worth pursuing.

27. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

squirrel, I am just thought that they came with a 600cca, so that is what I was looking for. If I could use a 300cca that would be nice, and smaller. I think its time to go to walley world and look around.

Right now I can put it anywhere I want to. I am trying to keep it where I can get at it easily. I am thinking between the motor and the frame, that's why I am looking for the smallest size that will work with no issues. I also want to be able to walk into a store in noplace USA and get one with no problem.

Montana1 likes this.
  28. Gman0046

Gman0046

FWIW, in my estimation Costco has the best price and warranty on batteries.

Gary

29. Interstate batteries are great I have one in my Olds going on 15 years now. Costco now has Interstate batteries but are not the green top they are black top anyone try them??

30. I agree, my first Everstart Wal-mart battery (group75) lasted 11 years in the hot rod. One cold morning I had a no start. Must have been that SuperTECH heavy duty 15-40 tractor oil. :rolleyes::D