Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects ...And another 29 roadster on deuce rails project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roadsir, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Great thanks! that would be a huge step forward for my project that has been tough to solve

2. Old Rod

Old Rod
    from Brazil, IN

Really nice work. This combo always been my favorite.

Roadsir likes this.
  3. Brandi

Brandi

Yep! I need the $ to fund the 59 El Camino I picked up. I'd like to do another one down the road in a real 60s style.

Roadsir and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. Roadsir

Roadsir

Made a little more progress today. I pie cut the front legs for a 20 degree bend. Got tacked in and then started welding on the frame. Decided to mig it. I need a lot of tig practice, and didn't to use this chassis as the Guinea Pig.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Flipper, Tim_with_a_T, brEad and 3 others like this.
  5. Looking good!

Roadsir likes this.
  6. Roadsir

Roadsir

Buddy and his son wanted to go to the Speedway Motors Museum, so I took a day off and we ran down and back on Friday. Definitely worth the trip, and a helluva collection.

Just a small sample of the museum.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Roadsir

Roadsir

Saturday I got the top side of the frame welded, and the welds dressed on the boxing plates.
    Today I went back down, broke the tacks to the table, flipped the frame, tacked it back down and finished welding the bottom side. I finished dressing the rails on the bottom side.

Now I can "C" the front and rear, and start the front radius rod mounts. Hope to have a roller soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    1927graham, Flipper, Malcolm and 11 others like this.
  8. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

The quarter elliptic setup is going to be neat-

1927graham likes this.
  9. Roadsir

Roadsir

Yeah, "traditionally inspired" might be the best way to explain it. I like the look of a true traditional A on deuce rails, early motor, early v8 quick change on a "A" spring out back, but I'm stuck on the idea of having a car with some HP, little bit lower, should be fun!

29EHV8, loudbang, Tuck and 3 others like this.
  10. Roadsir

Roadsir

I keep getting a few hours here and there.
    Yesterday I got the 9" rear torn apart and mostly degreased. I need to whack a few brackets off and get it blasted.

Today I got the bones cut to length, bungs welded in, and used the Horton through frame bungs that allow a pretty clean installation of the tie rod end.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1927graham, loudbang, Malcolm and 2 others like this.
  11. Roadsir

Roadsir

I’ve been thinking about making a watts linkage for the rear of the roadster.

Started researching watts linkages as I’ve seen some where the pivot was mounted to the chassis, and some where the pivot was mounted to the axle. I got my answer here…Axle is better as the roll center stays the same regardless of chassis movement.
    http://griggsracing.blogspot.com/p/watts-linkage-tech.html

At the top of that page is also a link for Torque arm tech. Interesting reading and you and it does make sense that set-up correctly a torque arm could be more stable acceleration and deceleration.

If I decide to incorporate or fab a torque arm I could eliminate the top two bars on the four bar and have a simple suspension that would work really well in-line and cornering.

Chris Alston has a pretty neat set-up.
    http://www.cachassisworks.com/Attachments/DataSheets/5857-XXX_DS_WEB.pdf

TCI’s
    http://totalcostinvolved.com/products/1962-1967-chevy-nova-torque-arm/

BMR
    http://www.bmrsuspension.com/index.cfm?page=products&vehicleid=9&maincatid=64&catid=321&productid=1155

Total control products…..Would be easier to fab something like this
    http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/torquearm.html

Now to decide if I want to try this, and how to make it somewhat traditional looking.

loudbang, brEad and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. alchemy

alchemy

I don't think your rear springs will allow a lot of side-to-side movement, do you? I'd think a watts or panhard link is not needed on this roadster. If the spring and shackles went transversely like stock, then maybe you'd need it.

13. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

1963 setup- Quarter elliptic setup with watts link and some stout ladder bars... I would think there would be more side to side leverage on those springs than a standard setup... especially on the shackels.

scan0013-11.jpg scan0014-11.jpg

kidcampbell71 and brEad like this.
  14. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

The torque arm and Watts link with the quarter elliptical springs does sound like a trick setup! I'd love to see how that would all work out on this car.

15. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

If Eric sticks with the quarter elliptical springs and a parallel 4-link, I'd definitely use a panhard bar or Watts link. Those springs do have more side-to-side movement than I'd be comfortable with.

16. Roadsir

Roadsir

Yes,
    Even with bronze bushings (need a good reaction time!) that are sized pretty tight snug to the 1/2 bolts there is some side movement when I pull on the springs. If the front of the springs were fixed with a pair of u-bolts, I could get by without a lateral bar.

A panhard is hard to argue with, as it's very simple, lightweight design, to really make it work better it should be mounted lower (visually not as appealing) But it does have some shortcomings.

I feel like experimenting a bit with the car and having fun with it....So we'll see.

loudbang, bct, Malcolm and 1 other person like this.
  17. Roadsir

Roadsir

Tuck, that's pretty cool. I had heard that some Street Roadsters used 1/4 elliptics.
    Can't imagine 475 Cubes of Blown Olds......I guess you would need a 100lbs of lead over the front end!

kidcampbell71 and Tuck like this.
  18. Old Rod

Old Rod
    from Brazil, IN

When purchased my 29' had actual 480ci Olds and B & M Hydro from Tuckers A/SR.
    Tucker changed to Hemi power. Rear set up 57-8 Olds, quarter elliptics, huge square
    ladder bars running up to trans. Don't remember Watts linkage or panhard bar. Normal
    angle mounted tube shocks. No kits back then, believe spring 49-50 Ford. Later changed
    to narrowed 9" 34 rear spring. FACT Roadster rode and handled much better with orig
    setup. Should never have changed. Bob

Roadsir and kidcampbell71 like this.
  19. 42˚18'N 83˚09'W

42˚18'N 83˚09'W

Excellent workmanship and well executed planning. I might have missed it but I haven't seen any mention of your steering box choice. Dropping the nose as much as you are planning I would have concern if you are going to use a Vega box how low your pitman arm will be. My recollection of roads in your area are pretty well maintained. In Maine they are goat paths and my '32 will occasionally scrape if I am not careful on some of our back roads with deep travel grooves. Looks great, be safe.

20. Roadsir

Roadsir

Thanks!.
    Most likely Vega, but haven't ruled out cowl steering. If Vega, I should be able to raise it a bit, and the motor.

21. Roadsir

Roadsir

About all I got done Saturday was notching the front frame. Had plans to notch the rear today but went and picked up some bones, axles, and other old ford stuff.
    Should make more headway next weekend!

[​IMG]

22. 18n57

18n57

Very interesting project and you are clearly a craftsman! I will be following your progress.

23. Roadsir

Roadsir

For us Northerners it's time to prepare the snowblower for storage, and get the lawnmower ready, so I lost a few days sharpening blades, changing a valve cover gasket and fixing some trailer lighting.

I did get the rear "c" done, now I just need to cap the rear of the rails, flop it over and continue to finish up the rear suspension, then shift focus to the other cars for the summer.

[​IMG]

Little light on pics, so here's Willie helping me out the other night.

[​IMG]

24. javithewrench

javithewrench

Willie needs one of these
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  25. Roadsir

Roadsir

Could hold a few beers that way too!

loudbang, brEad and 1927graham like this.
  26. With as much energy as Willie has you'd open a beer he'd been carrying around? ;)

loudbang and brEad like this.
  27. sololobo

sololobo

nice build, this baby will scoot right along with the mill from the 40. Never to many of these iconic hot rods. Best wishes an a way cool project.

Roadsir likes this.
  28. Roadsir

Roadsir

Decided not to hit a swap meet today, and not play with cycle carts, and get the body sitting on the frame. It will need a little taper cut at the cowl, but here are a few shots of where I'm at.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. IronFord

IronFord
    from NoDak

Any updates on this build?

kidcampbell71 and Roadsir like this.
  30. Roadsir

Roadsir

Thanks for asking. I took a break this summer so I could have fun with the other cars. Garage season officially starts today. But, I am going to pause to see if we get my Dads old modified dirt track car restored. He has the original chassis from the late 60's early 70's, a new body, I found a quick change center at the roadster swap meet, and we've been rounding up suspension pieces.. 3-2 intake, magneto, Technically it's a little to new for this forum, but perhaps I can fit a few pictures in on this thread as we go!
    IMG_2401.JPG IMG_2405.JPG IMG_2415.JPG IMG_0298.JPG