Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods A question for the roadster guys.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 28, 2017.

1. I was talking with a good friend this afternoon and he has just acquired 1929 Brookville roadster on deuce rails and he was asking me what kind of gas tank would I recommend?

For me if it were a '32 on deuce rails it would be a no brainier but it ain't so I told him I would ask you guys.

What have you done and if you have a photo that will help. HRP

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  2. wicarnut

wicarnut

The one I had, frame was bobbed, so plastic tank in trunk, between battery and gas tank, not much room left, 2 small whatachairs, jacket/hat/gloves, small cooler and a bag lunch = full trunk. I would measure to see how much too narrow in back for a 32 style tank, can you order a custom narrow tank ? Or would that upset the traditional model A Hot Rod crowd.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

The deuce tank on a fenderless Model A sticks way out and can look like a poopy diaper, if you know what I mean...

I like the Model T tanks, they came round and oval and fit nicely in the trunk. It's what I'm planning on using on my '29 on deuce rails...

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. I should have pointed out ,he is going to bob the frame and has no intention to running a deuce tank. HRP

5. flatford39

flatford39

Absolutely nothing wrong with using the stock tank. Why recreate Henry's wheel?? It's what I am doing in my 31 Roadster.

mit311 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. Because we build hot rods?

One minor problem with that line of thinking,Brookville body's don't come with original tanks. HRP

dana barlow and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I have used a steel 18 gallon behind the seat tank made by Tanks Inc. that will leave you most of the trunk area. Filler spout in the center and accessed through trunk. Would take up feet room if running a rumble seat.

HOTRODPRIMER and harpo1313 like this.
  8. Tank in the trunk, behind the seat..

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Here is the tank I built for my 27 roadster. I is also the base for the rumble seat. Gary img797.jpg img798.jpg

10. Mo rust

Mo rust

I like the looks of a deuce tank under a model A as long as you shorten the rear pan enough to make it fit on stock frame rails. Also the car can't sit on the ground. IMAG0140.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER, wicarnut and bct like this.
  11. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Yes, "Tanks" makes a nice universal tank that works well in a '29 roadster trunk.
    Check them out, the dimensions are on line.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. The37Kid

The37Kid

I new reproduction Model T tank in the trunk would be traditional. Bob

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. staleg

staleg

Home made, stainless ,fitted behind the seats. Ca 40 litres.
    Battery to the right. 2 mm steel plate between tank and battery for safety in case the battery blows. Drain holes in the floor under the tank in case of a leak.
    The wall between the seats and the tank are sealed along the floor to prevent gas from fooding forward under the drivers seat in an accident..
    Low in size, so I can make a functional rumble seat later, if I want to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Red neck pressure testing".
    BE AWARE!
    Do NOT fill much air in the tank! It might blow, and it will blow long before the rubber part fastened on the fill neck! All you need is slightly more pressure than 1 ATM, push it down under water, and watch for bubbles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know I know. Silicone around the fuel sending unit and tip over valve won't work.
    Changed that later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    HOTRODPRIMER and 48stude like this.
  14. 48stude

48stude

15. Excellent work,thank you for posting. HRP

staleg likes this.
  16. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Two tanks, still plenty of trunk space. 32 roadster 003-3.jpg 32 roadster 006-1.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. This image was sent me via PM. HRP

[​IMG]

18. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

But a original tank can be used

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. True, but knowing the builder I'm pretty sure he wants the gas tank elsewhere,he's talking about installing a deuce cowl vent. HRP

Charlie Chops 1940 likes this.
  20. Any more ideas or photo's. HRP

21. rustisgold

rustisgold

[​IMG]i narrowed a repop 51 ford truck tank about 10 inches and it fits great

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

roadstar, Jet96 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  22. Phttttttt :p no brainer. 15 gallon plastic fuel cell. :D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. 15 Gallon,heck my late model truck don't have a fuel tank that big. HRP

porknbeaner likes this.
  24. Roadster better have a gnarly mill and 15 gallons will just about get you to the next gas station.

My A bone will carry about 16 gallons. 11 gallon spun aluminum tank and a *5 gallon race cell for a reserve tank. That should just about get me out of the neighborhood. :D

* the 5 gallon cell courtesy of @TRIUMPH TERROR about 12 years ago I promised him I would use it.LOL

25. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Ask your buddy Alex what he did on his green car. The first time I ever saw it I spent several minutes looking for it. Some body distracted me and I never got around to talk ing to him about it. Good luck

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. Alex used two extreamly small gas tanks under the seat with the torque tube running between them,you have seen the car and Alex and he is far from being a Primadonna,more of a Neanderthal in that little green trackster,so small gas tanks offer a welcome stop ever so often. HRP