Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage LA Roadsters Fathers Day Show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blake 27, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Blake 27

Blake 27

John Buck [email protected] is now running the roadster show.
    It has always been FREE! to roadster owners.
    He now wants $50.00 to enter.
    What are your thoughts?

cpd682 and oldtymehiboy like this.
  2. roundvalley

roundvalley

What does it cost you to just park in a lot plus addmission?

tofords likes this.
  3. And $75 for two days in the preferred parking. I understand that the LA club is aging out, and putting on the show has gotten to be too much work, but does greed have to ruin one of the oldest traditions in So Cal? No one can tell me if there will be overnight parking for the roadsters, or if they will be parking roadsters on Friday. I have missed 3 Father's Day shows since the first one in '64. Looks like that run is coming to an end. Now, I learned, yesterday, the Goodguys will be accepting cars up to 1987 in the 2018 season. Another good show in the crapper. Marc Medors is into muscle cars, so that's the way they are going. Rod & Custom Association MY ASS!!!:mad:

4. 562roadster

562roadster

40 Olds and loudbang like this.

5. OLDTINPUSHER

OLDTINPUSHER

A close friend and mentor once told me : "If your in this to make money, your in it for the wrong reason" - Dick Spadaro . Boy do I miss him.

TERPU, dana barlow, 6inarow and 11 others like this.
  6. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

For $50 you get driver and passenger, correct and the BBQ. When you compare that to Goodguys and NSRA I guess it's about the same. LARS is s great show with something for everyone. Now the Goodguys and 1987 thing, that's a bad deal.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dana barlow, beeper, lowlid30 and 3 others like this.
  7. Screw em all . Glad I did all the shows when they were car shows & not social events or reality shows. Why should I spend my life savings to build the car of my dreams & then have to pay those guys to charge folks see it. Something wrong with this picture as I see it. Have done a few shows lately & all the guys just sit around & BS. Not my style. I'll be 84 in few months so I guess I'll just go for a ride in the hotrod & forget the
    car shows. See ya on the road folks. This beauty is hardly broken in with 84,000 miles on the clock . I guess a few more ain't going to hurt. latest roadster.jpg

8. 2935ford

2935ford

Simple, I don't enter nor pay for shows cause I'm out driving my hot rods!:)

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

10. roundvalley

roundvalley

11. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Not to hijack the thread, but the LA Roadsters aren't the only gang aging out who refuse to consider any young guys whose cars aren't clear coated candy. The same goes for the Roadkings. They talked to me (38 y/o) about how much they want to pass on their knowledge,etc....but when I showed them my roadster in-progress, to the same guy that was recruiting me a week earlier, he brushed me off like he didn't know me. I say fine, take it to the grave. I'll find what I need here on the H.A.M.B. and YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. 39cdan

39cdan

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dana barlow and loudbang like this.
  13. The37Kid

The37Kid

If the cars don't show up there won't be any reason for people to fly in to look at them. The Swap Meet must have peaked ten years ago long before I finally got there. Bob

14. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Never been and now I never will. Where is the long lost simplicity of a bunch of guys having a get together so others might have th enhance to admire and perhaps be inspired to do the same. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ is killing this hobby. I don't mean businesses that help us to completion but the "status" aspect of the hobby. Maybe the LA Roadsters guys should just have a cruise to somewhere and display their vehicles that way. Publish the route perhaps so others could enjoy.

Ragmanray, roadstar and loudbang like this.
  15. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Hummm, where should I start?
    So, I think we can agree that the LA Roadster Show is one of the oldest & best events going.
    The LA Roadster club members would like to see the show continue, but are looking to wind down their involvement with producing the show.
    The club makes an arrangement to LEASE the operation of the show to a capable & qualified promoter.
    This promoter accepts the challenge of continuing the show.
    This promoter is faced with all the expenses that the club dealt with as well as the additional costs of more staff to replace the volunteer club members, and the cost of the lease agreement with the club.
    If the goal is to break even, nobody in their right mind would take on a task, like putting on this show.
    He is entitled to make a profit, the club always did!
    So, if an entry fee that's about the same as the cost of a couple of movie tickets and a box of pop corn are going to keep you away, don't give it a second thought, the rest of us will go, and chip in to see this event continue on . . . . . . . .

16. Harland grunder

Harland grunder

Why must car shows make money

17. cretin

cretin

You think a venue to put on a show like that is free?

18. Blake 27

Blake 27

You make some very good points. I guess I just hate to see such a great tradition change after 52 years.
    But like the man said "the only constant is change"
    I've had some great memories there and hopefully more in the future.

oldtymehiboy and ratman like this.
  19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

- one of life's never ending dilemmas: why should there the haves and the have-nots, or something like that - as I stated: the price of everything is going up - but, to what end? now back to cars-look for my new Nor Cal Show/Show/Drags thread

loudbang likes this.
  20. It's not the 50 bucks bothering me. I had a business, I know about profit and loss. What I want to know is will we be able to park our cars on the grounds for the weekend. You can't at Buck's GNRS, and waiting in line at 6 AM two mornings in why I only do that show on Saturday.

21. Exactly! The Fairplex is a huge venue with major costs to hold an event.

22. flyboy89

flyboy89
    from So. Cal.

I used to go to about 6 or 7 local shows a year. Now I just do the LARS, Cruisin' for a Cure, Labor Day Cruise and a local show in my home town. It was getting too costly for me, plus I would see the same cars over and over. I get a "hot rod fix" just about every Saturday at Donut Derelicts in Huntington Beach. The rest of the time I'm working on my junk.

23. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Like my friend says ,, " It's like charging the clowns to come to the circus " . So you throw 50+ years of tradition down the drain .

24. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

It might NOT be the people putting the show on.
    The Pomona Fairgrounds is pretty expensive to rent. The various costs go up almost every year.

Something to think about.

Mike

quicksilverart46 likes this.
  25. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just checked, it costs $550. to enter Bonneville Speed Week for a chance at braking a Record or your car. Bob

quicksilverart46, Pufff and loudbang like this.
  26. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I've never understood the deal where the entrants of a show have to pay to get in. If I get in early, get "VIP" treatment (ie park where I want, set up my BBQ or tents) then the promoter can keep the gate $. That would seem to be a fair arrangement. I go for a lot of reasons, to show off my ideas, to see what others are doing, the road trip involved, etc.. I do not need a trophy but one now and then feeds the ego. If I was a racer, I think I'd feel the same way. Let me race, and the promoter (sanctioning body) and the track owner can divvy up the gate. Gary

27. That's a good one! It's really sad to see the tradition die, especially for an iconic show like the LARS. At least I'll have the memories of the good years. As one of the clowns, I quit going to the NSRA shows decades ago and GoodGuys after Gary Meadors died, unless I need something from a vendor or the swap meet.

bondolero, bonesy and popawolf like this.
  28. exterminator

exterminator

:(

29. Maybe letting the cars in free equals a much better turn out for the event equals a better attraction for non-participants...I agree, we spend a lot of money and then these "promoters " expect us to fuel the event...I understand the cost of a venue like the FairPlex and attend from North Carolina and really enjoyed the GNRS...but I still feel USED at these events because I'm paying to make the promoters rich....I was a state inspector for NSRA for a few years and we still had to pay our costs, I approached walker once in Louisville to talk about the event, too good to talk with an inspector....honestly, you're being used because we support us being used....let's go to events that charge spectators, not participates.......@Pete Eastwood...I would love to see the financial books for an NSRA or Goodguys event where the participant cost was removed...how much difference is there???

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For a week of racing and fun...+ fuel, food, lodging, souvenir's etc. make that $3,000