Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Moon Argument

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Mar 29, 2017.

1. The car better say 'HIGHSPEED-FULL-RACE" :cool:

swade41 likes this.
  2. No doubt...or fake spindle mounts on "gassers"

mike bowling likes this.
  3. Happy to see Geto Boys mentioned here

Louie and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. Mac3455

Mac3455

Moons are part of Hot Rod history and Nostalgia if someone has no sense of history then they just don't get it.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hnstray, F-ONE and pat59 like this.
  5. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

What's a bellytanker. A tank truck full of bellies?

jimmy six and Tman like this.
  6. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Now I miss my 1986 Sigma BMX Bicycle.

7. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Moon disk ,were,are,an always will be cool!,like all things can be used wrong. I still like them. But my fav. two types of wheels are alum. slots an stock 1953 Studebaker gold dot cones=best looking car ever............................v8 hard top coupe

F-ONE and TALLAN like this.
  8. LAROKE

LAROKE

I'm using them on my '55 Chevy shop truck when I get further along partially for the same reason Pork-n-Beaner mentioned earlier. I have stock 4-1/2" by 16" steel wheels on front with hubcap clips and 7" by 16" steel wheels on the back with nubs. They will be the screw mounted, of course.

9. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Ahhhh Moons. How can you not like them or at least appreciate them?
    They're kind of like a nice T shirt. While they don't go well with every ensemble they can look pretty good with most. Like a t shirt there usually is a more stylish or even better option but moons provide a clean and solid look.

" Moon disks are for race cars only, not a street car."

I think this is the point of Moons and really if you think about, all of Dean Moons stuff.
    While Daddy's hand me down sedan will never see Bonneville there's no reason it cant look good on Saturday night.

Lastly, I think they look best on cars from 36 up through the 60s. Heck! Even a Radio Flyer looks cool with a little set moon disks.

Hnstray and The Shift Wizard like this.
  11. funny the original one never got the credit....or the patent........

12. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

13. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

A picture of a picture of my 34!

14. I disagree somewhat to the comments about they cover a bad junky rim. I myself have them over a lightweight aluminum racing wheel, held on with studs instead of screws so as to not wear out the threads in the aluminum. 20160701_162536.jpg

15. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

Many an off topic car can benefit from Moon Discs! Stance must go along too. Painted and louvered versions certainly were on many customs of the late fifties. Case closed!

16. image.jpeg

Bushwick Bill RIP!

Sancho likes this.
  17. SpagScot

SpagScot
    from S. Alberta

I am going to agree with this idea Shift Wizard: "A piece of history". I can remember loving these wheel covers on hot rods that I drooled over back before and then when I was first licensed to drive (60's, and then early70's) and bought every hot rod magazine I could afford. I ended up primarily a motorcycle guy though. But I can still see in my mind a late 50's Chev rolling with moon discs in our local annual street rod weekends the past few years that was a definite "pull" for me to finally invest into this 4 wheeled hobby only two years ago. When they work, THEY WORK!

Far too many fancier wheels absolutely spoil a build in my H.O., and I suspect the owner/builder has committed too much $$$ to back out of that decision after the install.

18. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Can't find the pix right now, but discs were available for Riolls-Royce, Packards and several other large cars in the 1930's. Very similar to those that Kevin was selling shown here. IMG_0551.JPG

marioD and kidcampbell71 like this.
  19. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A crappy night photo, but I like them on my car trailer when hauling to nostalgia drag races.

Car Hauler Late.jpg

20. christmas tree

christmas tree

Never owned a set of them however being 75 they were in full swing in my early yrs and they sure were coll in my eyes. I think they were expensive at the time and money was better spent on pistons, cams and all that other stuff. In 1961 a neighbor gave me a 8ba block that was bored to 3.375 and the cyl.walls were pretty wore. The rest is as follows, Mercury crank, new Jhans pistons $ 36, new Johnson lifters $13, Grant rings $10, Used Dunn cam, W grind $15, used Fenton heads $15, used Offy intake 3X2 $10 used Mallory dist.$10, Mountgomery Ward bearings about $ 6-8 and 3 97 out of the junk pile. That,s where my Moon money went. Put that in a 28 A sedan and went racing and had a blast. Shit I miss them days.

21. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I like the wind cheating aspect as to why you put them on and the style car aerodynamically matching the speed aspect. The late 50's truck Ryan pictured doesn't look so good in my opinion. The truck has the aerodynamics of a brick cutting the air, caps gonna help it that much?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. jchav62

jchav62

They are timeless, simple and cool. I dig em...

Hnstray likes this.
  23. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

I love mine, and my whitewalls too!
    '55 Studebaker 2010 (3) resized a.JPG

dwollam, i.rant, TALLAN and 2 others like this.
  24. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

In my opinion there's not a picture posted that wouldn't look better with some other wheel or hubcap.

K13 likes this.
  25. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

OK, Chaz, tell us what caps you suggest'd look better on these 3.

5.jpg

i.rant, TALLAN and Hnstray like this.
  26. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Go back to post #40 and tell me that Markley's tank would look better with Fiestas or Royal Lancers.

jnaki, tb33anda3rd and kidcampbell71 like this.
  27. BradinNC

BradinNC

Hip hop, rap, and misc modern audio entertainment is NOISE. Not music.

PunkAssGearhead88 and pat59 like this.
  28. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

AMEN!!

29. I like them on the right car! That car does have to show me a reason to believe that it could be from the salt. Most anything modern (past 20 years at least) would be off limits.
    My off topic tandem dually truck will have them on the rear, not because they are cheap or easy, (that would be the original steelies) but because I like the look. The guy paying the bills gets to make those decisions!

wicarnut likes this.