Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Kansas Kustom Merc Crash?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by OG lil E, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Hey all,

I was at a car show yesterday and was talking with a few good friends that are into customs.
    They were telling me they saw a post on Facebook about a guy from Kansas (they thought) with a Mercury that had been involved in a bad accident (in the Merc) and didn't make it. I asked them if they remembered the guy's name but they couldn't remember. They did mention that the Merc was a '49-'51, was very mild and was nice, and he attended the Leadsled Spectacular in recent years past. I'm not on Facebook so I can't research it. I've done some searching here on the HAMB but I didn't find anything.
    I'm not trying to be morbid here, but has anybody else heard of this? I know a lot of Kansas Mercury folks and finding out the details is important.
    Hopefully it was misinformation and all is well. I'm hoping for the best.
    If not, deepest condolences to all family members and friends.
    Thanks for reading. E

2. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I Googled it and came up with this; Shame he didn't have seat belts;

http://www.kctv5.com/story/33009229/olathe-man-man-dies-of-injuries-sustained-in-overland-park-crash

Overland Park Police have identified a driver who died after a two-vehicle accident on Sept. 1 at 159th Street and Lowell Avenue.

David Lee Summers, of Olathe, died from his injuries.

Summers was ejected from his restored black 1949 Mercury when he was involved in an accident with another vehicle in the intersection. Police said Summers’ car did not have seatbelts. No one was riding with him.

A driver and two passengers in the other vehicle were not injured, police The Overland Park Police Department’s Traffic Safety Unit is investigating the cause of the crash.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article99795067.html#storylink=cpy

3. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

That sucks. May he RIP....

4. Man, I was hoping I had heard a rumor with some of the facts not quite right. Sad to hear for sure. Vaya con Dios..........E

5. Vey sad for sure..... but if he was ejected, I'm sure it was a hard hit, and nothing to stop at least trauma. Not being morbid, or dissrespectfull, but as a Merc owner, I can imagine what it would take to make me leave the interior.....
    My condolences to family, and those close.......

ghornbostel likes this.
  6. skyrodder

skyrodder

RIP David Summers 14203100_1203746159684346_3024306200470360500_n.jpg

7. Without being a CSI, which I work with on almost a daily basis......I /we see the front impact. Something had to smack the door in a 'wrap around" fashion, but we also see it "v'ed outwards. I am speculatating as we all are by the picture. I'm trying to figure things out, and feel sorry for the/our loss. I just have thoughts about "he didn't have belt's issue".... They weren't standard equipment...... That pic says a lot to the untrained eye...... Please don't speculate, and throw thoughts. A Man has passed. very sad. May he Rest In Peace.

8. CHAMP:t

CHAMP:t
    from KC, Kansas

That really does suck. Greaserama was last weekend, probably coming back from that. RIP

9. LaShay Summers

LaShay Summers

Hi there, I'm Daves daughter. I'm searching for his car after it was auctioned off to someone in Illinois. I'm desperate to find it. Do you have any ideas? Where did this picture come from? Thank you!

10. LaShay Summers

LaShay Summers

Did you know my dad? I'm David's daughter. His car was auctioned off and I'm desperate to find it. Please help me if you can. Thank you

11. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

LaShay, Sorry for your loss ;( You might get a better response sending a private message to "skyrodder". You do that by putting the curser over his avatar, then click on start a conversation. Hope it helps, Good luck. John

12. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Hope you find it and get it back.

13. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would think the car was either auctioned by the city contracted tow service or by an insurance company.
    In either case, get a copy of the accident report from the Overland Park, KS, Police Department which will tell you where the Merc was towed and by whom. Then contact that tow company for details. It either was auctioned off by the tow company as unclaimed or auctioned off by the insurance company after settlement.

Roger O'Dell likes this.
  14. Woodie

Woodie

Very Good info.!! I would hope that LaShay follows your suggestion and will get the information that she is "desperately" looking for. Thank You "lonejacklarry" for your post.!!

15. gsnort

gsnort
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My condolences to his family, especially his daughter.