Register now to get rid of these ads!

Please Post Why you help the *APPRECIATIVE* people that ASK for help.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by henryj1951, Mar 31, 2017.

1. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

I'll start... Because most are, appreciative of our/my knowledge.
    I believe ,our helping is what TRULY makes this place the TOP go to for info , on the ENTIRE WEB.
    I'm sure others like HELPING, lets see how long we can keep this thread alive ( so no bashing or bad mouthing).
    You can do some *SELF bragging* here, and we - you - us will refrain from making smart@$$ comments toward each other , like "well don't break your arm patting yourself on the back".
    Show our /your real LOVE for the automobile craft we ALL so much enjoy.
    Ready , get set ,GO

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Good post.
    Rarely does it have anything to do with personality. Unless I find out later this person I try to help is a know it all.
    I really enjoy helping the younger guys.
    When you see me step in it's usually because I feel I have knowledge on the subject. Many times with the quality of experience I have viewed here I will take a back seat and learn.

3. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

^ GQQD answer--- THAT'S what its all about.

catdad49, 3340 and Petejoe like this.
  4. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Post pictures if you like....

5. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Come on nows yer chance to BRAG about yourself -n- we won't even make fun of you...

6. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Crank up the VOLUME ---->

7. BJR

BJR

Because it's the right thing to do!

Shamus, henryj1951 and mad mikey like this.
  8. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

PeteJoe pretty much nailed it. Enjoy sharing with others because in the beginning, we all start off with little and hopefully we can build upon that. Also, sharing is also a way to strengthen our own understanding.

9. In my opinion, no one person knows it all and never will. Learning is never ending all through out life. I like to share ideas, and see what input others have. Helping, and sharing knowledge with each other is one of the things that makes the HAMB great, and powerful. Like the saying goes, if it was easy, everybody would do it. I say, the hard, is what makes it GREAT! Everyone here has the same passion, HOTRODS, It is what lights us up, and gets inside us. Why do I help someone out if I can? WHY NOT.

10. The torch needs to be passed on. These days the tradition of helping or mentoring has fallen by the wayside. Used to be a time when older, more experienced guys would teach and mentor younger inexperienced guys, and pass on knowledge to the next generation, keeping the tradition alive and breathing. Growing up my mentor always told me if I did not know, go to a shop that did and hang out and learn.
    Helping those who share our passion is important to help keep it alive and kicking. (This is the part where a young punk kid of 35 thanks the older guys for passing on knowledge haha)

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

54vicky, steinauge, weps and 5 others like this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

I don't know why I do the things I do.

I also help folks in real life, and I also mentor a robotics team (where I give a few hundred hours of my time each year to help high school kids get a start on playing with machines).

Maybe I do it because I can?

12. Jim is usually one of the first to offer a helping hand,he excels when it comes to the technical questions.

I have been involved with the car hobby most of my life and I am far from being a expert on everything,but I am always happy to share what I do know.

I honestly believe almost anything you need to know about hot rods or customs can be found on the hamb and is available for the asking/

Sadly we have lost a lot of highly respected and knowledgeable members in the past but thankfully their wisdom can still be found by doing a search and their words are as important now as it was in the past. HRP

13. wicarnut

wicarnut

I enjoy offering advice from my life's experiences, we all have had some help/mentoring along the way, we all start the same at 0 and I have not forgot the many people that helped me along my journey of life. I only offer technical on subjects that I know well, knowledge can be spoken, but experience has to be earned. This site offers a wide variety of knowledge, experience that has to be helpful to newbie's in the car hobby AND sometimes keeps us Senior Citizen's entertained. LOL

lothiandon1940 and henryj1951 like this.
  14. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm one of the guys that is usually doing the asking/learning but occasionally I'm able to pass on some things I've learned over the years, usually the hard way. I think back to my high school days when I thought I knew it all and an old time auto machinist in town, Howard, always took the time to point me in the right direction and bail me out of the messes I always seemed to end up in. That said I always try to help when I can because of all the help I've received over the years.

weps, mad mikey and henryj1951 like this.
  15. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

The torch needs to be pasted on. I remember My first hotrod build in 1988 (I was 21). I drug my 47 Ford out of a field and with some guidance from an older hotrodder who also had a 47, I got it on the road. I remember asking him what did you do here or what part did you use there and his response would be Come on Kid lets go look, and off to his Hot Rod we would go. Now at 50 I,m the older Hotrodder and I hope I can help a young kid.

mad mikey and henryj1951 like this.
  16. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

If I knew the answers to everything I would most definitely like to help for sure. I'm verry hands on and if I do know something I like to actually show and tell. I myself do not have any left over mentors in my family. This here is if I am on my last reserve I'll come and ask if I didn't see something I could get a answer to. Like I will do my home work and search first before I ask. I do apriciate everyone here on the hamb. Even tho I don't think I fit in. But in the end we still wrench on the same basics to keep our rides on the road. I truely apriciate all

Sent from my Z981 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mad mikey, clunker and henryj1951 like this.
  17. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

YOU / we could ADD our favorite (car-hotrod) things to do, or what we ourselves MOST like doing, the MOST Enjoyable.... OK ok ...LIKE for me, the challenge of building and tuning for power extraction, DRAG racing ENGINES , and HOK painting....

18. Karma, what goes around comes around.

mad mikey, bct and henryj1951 like this.
  19. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

You will usually see me right in the middle of an electrical/ignition question , almost any flathead question, some suspension, body work and general get her on the road debacles.

20. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

And I for one appreciates the FACT that you and others are SMARTER/FASTER than me at those certain things..... THANK YOU

Me *NO* like the hard BODYWORK part of it, as i get some weird, meditative, soothing effect, thing out of (what STRESSES MOST OUT) painting (no its not the sniffing of paint....lol), as well as the pride of accomplishment.

PhredH, mad mikey and Petejoe like this.
  21. I agree with BJR its the right thing to do and who knows you might need their help.I know I have. Bruce.

BradinNC, mad mikey and henryj1951 like this.
  22. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

^ya and SHOVELHEADRIDER, ers----positive KARMA

23. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

To keep the hobby Alive ,
    to pass on knowledge ,
    Hopefully to Make it easier for others ,
    To think out side of box by giving a different Approach some times

24. A great way to promote traditional hot rods, I like helping others so they can enjoy what we enjoy, it's not about me, it's about them, hot rods are universal!!

25. I was fortunate enough to go to high school when there was still auto shop classes and there was a speed shop (Bellflower Auto Center) in town. Lions, OCIR, and Irwindale drag strips were in full swing. Now, there's no auto shop, real speed shops are few and far between, and drag strips are an endangered breed. I consider myself to be blessed to have this background and feel it's only right to pass it on as best I can.

trollst and henryj1951 like this.
  26. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

I have a good collection of reference materials and have experience that I appreciate being able to share with others on this site.

henryj1951 likes this.
  27. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I share my knowledge, experience, time with others with no expectation of a return 'cause thats how I was raised. It comes back to you tenfold. In reality I'm old enough I think I've forgotten more then I know at times and the boards knowlege refreshes that. People helping people used to be the norm. Long timers like squirrel (Jim) and Bruce Lancaster and others are invaluble and reason I frequent the board with regularity and offer my limited resources in comparison when I can. Thank you ALL

28. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

And the GIVE aways .... Just gave the nephew a new *MOOIE* expensive PAINT GUN...

mad mikey likes this.
  29. Knowledge is the only thing you can give away that costs nothing, but may be worth the world to the receiver.

30. bct

bct

I like to help out when i see a question on page 3 and no replies. Either a bump or an answer if i can. Guys like jim and bruce who answer questions consistently without being rude or opinionated are the best. Cheers.