Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 56 gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 74kingwood, Mar 30, 2017.

1. 74kingwood

74kingwood

Thinking I should pull out the 56 150 post with 54,000 documented miles to build a gasser out of after I finish the 47 torpedo in a few months... any thoughts? Pros and cons are OK 20170330_183316.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. I will be happier with some new shoes. HRP

OahuEli, brad2v, Old-Soul and 4 others like this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

bring this idea back up in a "few" months when the '47 is finished with new paint, etc

brad2v and bobwop like this.
  4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

5. 74kingwood

74kingwood

Don't know if 47 is gonna get paint

6. Please get that thought out of your head. The world doesn't need another Faux Gasser.

7. Are you trying to say Gassers "jumped the shark" already?

8. 74kingwood

74kingwood

Hmm. Wonder the difference between a faux gasser and a real one

9. phat rat

phat rat

Real = strip only

faux = poser street car

10. LOL
    Real= 4 speed

Faux= automatic

11. 74kingwood

74kingwood

A friend said a real gasser has an altered wheel base and a straight axle

12. Your friend would be wrong...on both counts.

13. So not true in real history...lol

14. phat rat

phat rat

Yes many gassers had a straight axle but many did not. They did NOT have altered wheelbase. That was for the street freaks, FX cars or match race cars

15. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

A gasser was a production body sedan or coupe with minimal body modifications, stock wheelbase, no more than 10% engine setback, and running on pump gas. Depending on the year, and sanctioning body, front brakes and full street equipment were required to be on the car as well. Most bodies only allowed the crank centerline to be a maximum of 24" off the ground.

A true "gasser" was originally, essentially a hardcore (or not so hardcore) street-legal car. By the last years of the class, the legal was taken out of the equation, but they still looked like a car.

Altered wheelbase? Nope, that's an altered. Open-topped car? Nope, that's a Street-Roadster. Alcohol, or Nitro? Nope, that's an Altered. No fenders? Nope, that's an Altered. Spindle Mounts up front? Nope, that's an Altered.

These overcooked, jacked to the sky, caricatures of gassers being built today are nothing less than cartoon cars...

16. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd wager more gasser races were won by hydro' s and torqueflite/clutchflites than straight sticks...and I'm a diehard 4spd guy!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  17. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Do what you want, I dont care if its a fake gasser or a real one from back in the day, If its cool, Its cool.:cool:
    I would like to see more of the 47 as well, just be careful about what you share here, try and make sure it could have been done before 1965.

18. 74kingwood

74kingwood

That's where my money's at... and thanks rainierhooker for the clarification

19. You'll be happier if you just don't call it a gasser.
    Letter it if it's a strip car. There's a lot of revisionist history on the matter. But it's not too hard to stick to period correct. Build what you want, though.What do you expect the car to be when you're done?

brad2v likes this.
  20. 74kingwood

74kingwood

Fun.. that's it

21. Okay..I'll re-phrase..just for you.
    Faux= TH 350, TH400, TH700R4 , TH 2004R.
    (When was the last time you saw a Hydro-stick or clutch -flight car drive into a car show or cruise night?)

22. So am I, but very doubtful on that one.
    Maybe if you said supercharged gassers..

powrshftr likes this.
  23. 74kingwood

74kingwood

Thanks. Low budget.. will post a new thread on 47 soon. Time to start hammering it out

low budget likes this.
  24. blownhemi48

blownhemi48
    from Bergen NY

Your lower gas class cars may have had 4 speed standard transmissions. Your example happens to be F/G. There were a lot of A and B Chevy gassers with torqueflites. How often did you ever see a gas car in the 60's with a four link and 9'' ford rear end braced to look like it had scaffolding all around it? There seem to be way more faux gassers at the nostalgia drags these days.

X38 likes this.
  25. I know that..as were thousands of other tri-5's across the country every weekend.
    Still say many more gasser race wins with a 4 speeds ..en total , in the 60's.
    SE Gassers don't allow 4 links..Not sure on the braces..Most other groups are far too lenient, including allowing you know what front wheels.
    Besides, I don't think Mr.56 plans on going racing.
    My point was don't be a poser or scene-ster .
    Use a 4 speed and solid lifter cam and a 57 Pontiac rear, if you want to be cool...IMO, of course.

brad2v and powrshftr like this.
  26. 74kingwood

74kingwood

Not planning on racing. Butt wouldn't mind taking a few passes. Former demo derby driver here. I uses to wreck em not I rebuild them

27. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Is that where you brought the 74 kingswood name with you from:D Cool name either way, just askin? I helped build a bunch of demo cars for my cousin years ago but I only drove one once, A 72 caddy, most fun Ive ever had. I saw a bunch of pre 65 stuff bite the dust when I was a kid:( the 72 caddy didnt bother me too much back in the early 90s but I wouldnt have the heart to destroy it either today.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017