Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Grinding and the eye doctor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BJR, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The hardest part of using those little cups is getting the eyeball in there in the first place :eek: :D :D

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  2. LOLI was so busy once that I didn't know whether to shit or go blind, so I just farted and closed one eye. :D

chessterd5, bobss396 and Speedwrench like this.
  3. Growing up and working on cars, we did a lot of dumb stuff. I remember washing my hands in the solvent tank after work (back before it became the green eco friendly crap it is today and actually worked), eating lunch without washing oil and grease covered hands, taking the guards off of tools to get more access, and who here does not remember burning their arms and hands on 1000deg exhaust parts like a dummy? (Sure some of us still do haha)
    But no matter what, one thing my mentor (Dad) always pounded into my head, and would throw a fit if he caught me with out em, was safety glasses that seal around the eye. He would scream at me if he saw me about to use a grinder or the like without em. "Son, if you don't protect your eyes, you are asking for trouble. Close your eyes and try turning a wrench...."

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

How about close your eyes and try dodging a wrench :D

USMC_RatRod_Grunt likes this.
  5. 39cdan

39cdan

Excellent reminder to all of us. Just like jack stands I always use them even if just looking for that 10mm socket.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Actually reading that list, I can't say I am not doing all those things today at 68 yrs old. Best remedy for a gushing wound is dip it in gasoline, stops bleeding instantly, don't even have to quit working and go in the house for a tourniquet.

USMC_RatRod_Grunt likes this.
  7. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had my Doc drill pieces of metal out of my eyeball TWICE. I have always worn eye protection ever since whenever i grind or weld. I still need to learn my ' don't weld in shorts or flipflops' lesson...

8. 05snopro440

05snopro440

About 16 years ago my dad was grinding and something got behind his glasses and in his eye. Two trips to the emergency to get it all out, and he got really lucky there was no damage. Now we wear the proper gear.

About 4 years ago I was laying under the dash of my truck while building it. Some rust fell in my face, but I was fine until about an hour later. Must have been in my eyelashes and eventually got in my eyes. Couldn't wash it out, had to drive myself about 35 minutes to the nearest hospital at the time with only one eye. Anytime there's a chance of something getting in your eye, better to be safe than sorry!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. spanners

spanners

Once upon a time when I was young and sillier, I got some grinding crap in my eye at work. Flushed it out, so I thought, went home and later that evening it really acted up. My wife was too drunk to drive me to the emergency so I rode my motorbike there. After numbing my eye and digging the shit out, they put a pad over the eye and told me to go home not realizing I was on a motorbike. If you think it's easy riding with one eye closed, give it a go sometime.

10. Ain't hot roddin' fun?!

11. BJR

BJR

From all the comments posted here, it seems like getting stuff in our eyes must be about the most common injury we all suffer from working on our cars. It is also one of the most avoidable if we take just a second to consider what we are doing and what protective gear we should put on. This from the guy who started this thread with the eye injury. Which by the way is much better today. Be safe, Brian.

12. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

I have been to the eye doctor quite a few times When I work with metal I usually wear a ball cap, regular glasses, plus the wrap around safety glasses......still getting chunks in my eyes. One day my buddy says "turn your ball cap around backwards" problem solved. The ball cap acted as a funnel dropping metal in on top of my glasses. Plus I think the metal pieces can fall out of your eyebrows while taking a shower. I'm always glad when the heavy metal work is done and I'm not heading to the eye doctor. Gary

13. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't wear glasses when sanding filler, or in fact any machine sanding that creates a lot of dust. Best to have a fan for visual defense. The dust will eddy in the air between you and the car and fill in any space between your face and eyes behind the glasses. I suppose you can get all geared up like a space man and avoid it that way, you should do what works for you. For me, dust of the primer and bondo variety seems to gather up in my face behind the glasses so I dropped them in a hurry. Metal? All bets are off, cover them lamps or else. I place a fan to the side blowing the dust out of the work area and away from me and the car. Those vacuum gigs for a sander are worth the hundreds a full system costs if you do a lot of it, for exactly the same reason. Best of luck, and thanks for the reminder kids...;)

14. Redrodguy

Redrodguy

Last time (many years ago) I went to the ER to have metal removed from my right eye, the doc looked at it and said it would have to be dug out, so off he goes to get numbing drops and tools. Comes back in and proceeds to put drops in my left eye. I ask him why he's putting drops in my left eye and he gets this embarrassed look on his face and asks which eye has the metal in it. I point to my right eye, so he puts drops in it and starts apologizing. Now I can't see out of either eye. o_O
    After the surgery, I had to call my wife to pick me up.
    Funny thing about it - we know the doc personally and haven't let him forget about it!

15. bako48

bako48

well today was the third time I've had to get something outta my first two time he ahd to drill it cause it started to rust and today he got it out with just a needle so was so freaky. if you've had your eye drilled before you know what I'm talking about having to hold your face in that cage thing and watch the drill bit as it approaches your eyeball. the worst part my wide scolded me about eye protection and the icing was the one time I actually had my full face shield and my dust mask on I get something in my eye!

16. If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball

17. I always used grease on wounds. Slap some grease on, piece of rag, and some duct tape and carry on lol

18. Rustridden31

Rustridden31
    from Denver, CO

Yeah I had a piece of metal fall out of my hair into my eye. Waited a day then went in and it started to rust. Doctor said wood and other materials work their way out but metal works its way into the eye. He used a dremel to dig it out of my eye while another doc held me down. I wear goggles not glasses now and rush to rinse my eye if I even think I may have got something in it.

19. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

Your eye heals incredibly fast. NEVER wait and go to the doctor tomorrow. The Dr. may be able to use a magnet or tweezers. The sooner you get in the shallower the metal will be. Your eye immediately starts to encapsulate the splinter. It can be covered in hours. That is when the dremel comes out. If you wait too long the metal piece will be worked into the interior of the eye. Then you need real surgery.

20. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Sometimes a magnet will work to pull a small piece out. The one time it happened to me and I had to go to the ER I'm waiting in the room, my eye is burning and itching and I can't rub it of course. And the doctor says " So..., what do you think is wrong?". And I said " Well..., I know I got something in my eye. " He's moving kinda slow and says " So..., what do you do for a living?". I said I'm a car mechanic. He stopped with a look of horror and said "It could be anything!". Now he's moving. And I had this little rust ring in my eyesight for about six months.

21. cavman

cavman

Man, these stories bring back some awful memories about crap in my eyes. Like many here, my eyes seem to be magnets for all kinds of trash, steel, brass, saw dust, sand, even fingers some times. From the little steel picks that look like tiny brake tools and seal removers, to the tiny little drills, I've seen it all. They even used a little grinder on me once because the young doc said the chip was so deep. He just kept grinding and grinding....to no avail. He went and asked an older doc to take a look..The older guy just about shit when he looked in my eye. He stood up and said to the young guy.."You dumb ass, you've been trying to grind out the reflection of the light bulb filament from the light you're using" The ER kept sending bills, and after I threatened them with a lawsuit, they stopped. 35 years later, and after some repairs to the eye, it still isn't right.

Be careful guys..

22. Pete

Pete

I was installing central AC at a house a few summers ago, while I was brazing the line set on the condenser a length of plastic downspout became dislodged. I felt something hit me in the face, no idea at the time what it was...it felt like a punch to the face. I faintly saw something on my face just under my eye and tried to wipe it away....well it was a chunk of fat hanging out of my face.
    The downspout actually tore my lower eye lid from the inner corner diagonally down and took 68 tiny stitches and 2 plastic surgeons at Mass Eye and Ear 6 hours to fix.

I have a pic...lol

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  23. graveyardsledder

graveyardsledder

I still have a scared cornea from carb cleaner and carbon build up from an OT vehicle. I put compressed air to the passages and it blew up right in my face. I had safety glasses on. I spent 1 full day in the hospital because they had to constantly flush them out. The doctor said that if wouldn't have been seen right away I could have lost my sight. It was close to third degree burn in my right eye.

I would alway get little small metal specs from the brake lathe stuck in my contacts.

I wear safety glasses or face shield when using any type of harsh solvent, or using any type of spinning tool. I always wear high quality steel toe boots all day everyday. Because nothing is better that some made in America Red Wing boots.

24. Read this thread last week and it reminded me of my past eye experiences. Was working on the A Sunday (wore my safety glasses) took a shower right after I was done working. All was good. Monday I come home from a short trip and set a couple boxes in the garage on a table and see a puff of dust come up when I set a box down. 1/2 hour later my eye is bothering me. I knew something found it's way in. Called the doc and went right in. He found a piece of metal, took it out with a piece of stick and cleaned it up. Man I was so happy that thing was out of there. All better now.

25. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

26. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

graveyardsledder likes this.
  27. BJR

BJR

LeoH likes this.
  28. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

Just another option. I find them WAY better than Red Wing. But everybody's feet are different.
    http://www.weinbrennerusa.com/madeintheusa.cfm

29. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

They are good shoes. Farm & Fleet carries them here under the Work n' Sport brand but who knows when they'll start having them made in China too.

30. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

Do they come in white? I've only seen them in dark colors....