Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Pinstriping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 67poncho, Mar 30, 2017.

1. 67poncho

67poncho
    from Middlesex

What years of cars is best suited for pinstripes? Painted on with a brush, old school hot rod pinstriping. In my mind I feel like the cutoff is late fifties? I've seen some '60s cars look good with them though. I'm just curious what you guys think. I have a buddy with a '63 Catalina and his car is very period correct for '63. He wanted to add some pinstriping to the glove box door and then a little maybe on hood and trunk. Nothing crazy, however I just feel it'd take away from the period correctness of 1963. Correct me if I'm wrong.

2. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

I've had pinstripes on about anything that rolls. New trucks, old cars, trailers...... you just need the right guy laying down the paint to fit your taste

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. phat rat

phat rat

I disagree, but then I've got pinstriping on an 07 truck. Whatever turns your prop.

Bandit Billy and 45_70Sharps like this.
  4. 67poncho

67poncho
    from Middlesex

Cool, thanks for the responses. Don't get me wrong I think it'd look great on the car.

5. If you think about it, the two guys with the most pinstriping influence were VonDutch and Ed Roth, and both were very-late-50's through the early 70's. I know many think of "traditional" stripes as pre-60's. Body lines, panel stripes, and accents are carriage-days carryovers.

If I were striping your friend's Poncho, I'd keep it really simple with some two-color Tommy-the-Greek style darts in just a couple places...glove box being one of them!!!

6. I was going to say my '04 is stripped (a little bit) and it looks right at home there.

Any striping needs to fit the build. Tastefully done anything and everything can be stripped. Subtle is the name of the game.

joeycarpunk likes this.
  7. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

My 81 Eldo has stripes from the factory, they work with everything !!! Even on my milling machine vise DSCN0842_354.JPG

DND

8. Pete F

Pete F

Pinstripping goes back to the thirties
    Cars like Packard, Cadillac and Duesenberg had pinstripes on the bodies and undercarriage

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. phat rat

phat rat

Personally I think if you have a good pinstriper doing it after giving him an idea of what you're looking for you let him do his thing

45_70Sharps likes this.
  10. The word "ART" above the word pinstriping^ answers it all.
    Art is in the eye of the beholder no matter what year make and model anything..........

weld on........

11. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

That's what I've always done. Used the same guy for..... near 30 years. I let him know what I'm after and let him do his thing. He's the artist after all!

philly the greek likes this.
  12. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Here's my '62 Fairlane, with high gloss painted Pinstripes over Satin Black.

IMG_0190.JPG IMG_0170.JPG IMG_0181.JPG

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    Prather Studio. likes this.
  13. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

As a Pinstriper for 40 years I would like to chime in. The right style to fit the period always works. On period hot rods I always use Roth/Dutch style mind designs on nose and deck and on new cars and trucks I use o more modern crisp tapered thick to thin style but color choice is just as important for clean accent lines. Less is more unless the owner requests crazy Cool. As far as the question of striping on post 60's cars good or bad I believe all cars and trucks from any decade can benefit from tasteful Pinstriping. My shop is in San Dimas,CA if anyone is looking for striping,Lettering, etc. "Quicksilver"

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

indyjps and philly the greek like this.
  14. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

I need my hood Pinstriped, hopefully there will be an "Artist" at the 500 in Dewey next month!

15. 67poncho

67poncho
    from Middlesex

Thanks for all the insight guys. My buddy is going to go thru with it and get some striping done on his '63. Got me thinking about it for my car now! FrankenRodz, that is beautiful.

16. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

And that is exactly why all I do is tell what I'm after and let the man do his work! He picks the colors and what he does with them.
    I'm certainly not artist, but I know what I like when I see it!

17. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Thank You! Hard to photograph, to get the full appreciation, but I think you get the point.

18. els

els

A friend of mine has been pin striping for 50 years. I have seem him stripe mail boxes and toilets. soda machines and refrigerators. hot rods and go carts. everything looks cool with pin stripes. Some of you H.A.M.B guys may know him. BUTCH TUCKER.

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never been a fan of the busy pinstripe designs unless the car just calls for it. I do like the detail striping on belt lines and body lines like the cars of the 30's had.

Never will be able to figure out why the "patina" brigade spend good money having someone stripe a rust bucket though. Seems like a waste of good hot rod parts money that could be better spent. The "I can't afford a new carb but look at the striping job on my patina car that only cost me 200 bucks for the striper to do it at the rod trot." thing.

20. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Overkill takes away from the car, on a sixties car stay with the cars lines w/spears etc , keep the curves near door handles ,keyholes etc

21. indyjps

indyjps

Stripe it all, can look good on any vehicle. I used to work for a contractor that had his new trucks striped the day he bought them, hand painted lettering and striping on Silverado 4x4s. He traded them every 2 years and almost every new owner kept the striping, dealer removed the lettering. His old trucks are all over town.

22. phat rat

phat rat

This is my garage fridge

Attached Files:

23. Well my bride got talked into stripping the roadster. I think she did an OK job. She did complain about aheadache from standing on her head, well sort of as she had to bend down to see what she was doing. [3495865[/ATTACH] pinstripe 1-1.JPG

Attached Files:

24. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have always liked added striping with the reservation that was on a nosed and decked car. With all the stock parts it just seems out of place to me. Just sayin'

25. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Rodger Penske always striped his race cars for that extra touch of class, Can-am -- Indy - Trans -Am etc