Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1931 Ford 3W Build "Marilyn"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DylanHill1931, Nov 14, 2016.

1. [​IMG][​IMG] well got my hands on some Vicky hinges which are pretty much if not the exact same as Deuce hinges pretty cool! Gotta admit I'm pretty happy about making this model a 5w such a unique car, that will look factory when finished hope to get over and start chopping that cowl up to "slant" it this next week

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I got some time on the car and started on the slant, was looking to buy a slant cowl, but none in my price range so time to make my own. I have the important pieces so we can make this Coupe one work. I had to redrill and shorten the lower Vicky hinges to fit in the cowl. Then got the cowl level and cut the skin off the top on the driver side and hung the door to see where my Vicky hinge will have to sit in the A pillar and how much would change. looks like it will be just fine going to have to do both sides at once to ensure it's true will be interesting but it will work and look correct when finished. I'm going to lean it back then cut the post and insert the Vickys upper hinges and then chop it, I'm thinking about doing a 1"- 1 1/2" chop on the Vicky doors I would do more but seeing the Vicky doors are about 2" shorter than standard coupes or sedans I think it'll look okay then to start on roof and quarters!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  4. loudbang and DylanHill1931 like this.
  5. The37Kid

The37Kid

If you need any photos of my '31 Fordor Slant Windshield just ask. Bob DSCF7139.JPG

6. Actually yes could you take a detailed pic of the cross rail that the attaches the two cowls together I'm not quite sure if I will need to cut that or if the slants were at all. And thank you Bob!! It's very much appreciated!

loudbang likes this.
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

The photos will get posted this evening. The Slant windshield is totally different, so are the side garnish pieces. Bob

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    loudbang and DylanHill1931 like this.
  8. [​IMG] just ordered these yesterday then this should finish the sheet metal work on the cowl I really need to find a driver side Coupe quarter. Hell or roadster since I have a complete roof

9. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] more progress, and more to do to make this work but as I go I'm posting pics for y'all. Spent a lot of time making sure everything was right and was gonna work as I planned, cut the pass side door lower hinge, drilled the new mounting holes and hung that door( bottom hinge only of course) took a jack stand and put under both doors to mimic the upper hinge and got them to fit as best as I could. Then took the cutoff wheel and went at it, took the ratchet straps to pull the window back to snug the slanted doors and wedged the gap, took the straps off to ensure it would stay and took the doors off. Will go back tomorrow to fit the skins back on re fit the doors and if all is well, weld them up. Next step is to cut out where the (new) hinge will sit in the A pillar.

oliver westlund, Tim, brEad and 6 others like this.
  10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Looks good, A pillar is much thinner that a factory slant cowl. If you haven't noticed, your dash panel will be tilted back as things sit right now. Sorry I'm late with photos, will get to that over the weekend. Bob

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    Stogy, loudbang and DylanHill1931 like this.
  11. greaser

greaser

Really starting to take shape.
    Not sure I would weld the A pillars solid until the B pillars, quarters and roof were mocked or tacked in place, with doors hinged. I hate it when I have to grind out finished welds!
    Looking forward to updates.

Stogy, loudbang and DylanHill1931 like this.
  12. I agree the more I thought about that the more I had the same idea, and thank you!

oliver westlund and loudbang like this.
  13. I'm sure enjoying this thread, an amazing young man, a project to be proud of!!

14. Thank you very much!!

loudbang likes this.
  15. [​IMG] I may leave this side but not sure yet will probably still put the Brookeville patch on it [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] well everyone very little to no progress on the coupe lately at the point now where I need parts...and you need money for parts lol and with little to no income coming from the wife right now things are a little tight still trying to order some small stuff here and there I make my way over to do little stuff when I can [​IMG]

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  16. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] alright finally got to do a little work on the coupe! Started by finding out where the top hinge is going to be by mocking up the door with the bottom hinge and a jack stand on the back of it, made the door gap how i like and cut out the top A pillar hinge and placed the new one in its place. The slant cowl must have a different angle on the a pillar as it seems "twisted". I'm not going to weld it in place yet till I can bolt it in the door and make sure I like it. I stopped on that as the top hinge needs a long drill bit to drill out what's left of the old pin so I decided to see what was under the white paint/bondo on my driver side door here's what I found[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] found ALOT of bondo covering this what I assume is a bullet hole very cool but this isn't a rat rod so it will go bye bye. If anyone has a slant window tank filler panel I could greatly use one! That's all for now moving into another place so may be slow again but will get back on it soon! Thanks for looking!

brEad, loudbang, Squablow and 2 others like this.
  17. Dylan, I understand that you're leaning your A-pillars back like a slant window, but the upper hinge mounting point on the cowl side doesn't mount with a slant. It's straight up and down like the bottom hinge, so there's no binding. You'll need to mount the upper cowl side of the hinges based on the angle your Vicky doors put them at so your doors operate freely. Take a look at the photos of my hinges below. From the outside you can see the gap opens up at the bottom of the hinge because they don't mount at the same angle as the slant on the A-pillar. And from the inside, you can see the door jamb steps in at the top of the hinge, and out at the bottom. Again, let the vicky doors dictate how you mount the cowl side hinges.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tim, wheeldog57, Stogy and 3 others like this.
    loudbang likes this.
  19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Get a piece of drill rod the exact diameter of the hinge pin and as long as the top of the top hinge to the bottom of the bottom, this will align the two. Bob

DylanHill1931 and loudbang like this.
  20. The A has a tapered roof, in top view front to back.

Leaning the windshield back gets into a different dimension due to the taper

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  21. Ya wish I could have found a slant cowl but trying to work with what I got worst case it doesn't work and I'll have to find a slant. I'm stuck with the roof customizing as I've only seen 1 picture of a slant Coupe and even that was a 5 window

loudbang likes this.
  22. Dannerr, brEad, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  23. the problem when I line up the back side of the a pillar it throws off the rest of the slant a pillar,

Can it be safe to say that the problem area is here?
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

What I was saying before about the tapered roof was that this.
    The coupe header leaned back is likely to be too short for the slant doors.
    image.jpeg

The rest of the roof line is going to be an exercise in imagination and proportions. You can do what ever you want with that one, just go from point A to point B so it looks good.

Attached Files:

24. Oh this is without the door properly aligned and was basically just sitting up there, the straight post model a is pretty much perfectly square on the a pillar and the slant seems to have a twist/curve in the a pillar past the point where it slants back. Should be a simple slice or two to align both the pieces as soon as the top hinge on the door is fixed where I can properly put the hinge pin in I'll start to weld it in its place

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

25. What I was saying before about the tapered roof was that this.
    The coupe header leaned back is likely to be too short for the slant doors.
    View attachment 3544398

The rest of the roof line is going to be an exercise in imagination and proportions. You can do what ever you want with that one, just go from point A to point B so it looks good.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately there is no good way to really do this I will make it look correct when I do start on the roof I will definitely post what I got to work with and see if y'all think it looks how it should the one Coupe I did see (on here) that was a slant seemed like the roof dived hard I'd like to keep the standard roof look I like how it flows but that will have to see when I start on it which will be after I get both upper hinges tacked in place and doors swinging properly won't finish weld until the roof is figured out and everything lines up. Still looking for another driver side Coupe quarter could also use a roadster quarter since I got the roof!

loudbang likes this.
  26. How about raising the windshield height, rather than chopping the doors, to get the header up where it needs to be?

DylanHill1931 likes this.
  27. Only thing is the windshield is already too tall by about 2-2 1/2" and I will most likely splice the roof and pull it in some when I can actually get some time on it. Thank you for the input bud much appreciated!

28. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] okay y'all I picked up another body! This one I can work with!! Got a good deal on it so I had to jump on it!

brEad, Stogy, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  29. [​IMG] would like to post some walk around videos on here but not sure how to but here's a pic of the body on!

30. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Upload your video to youtube, then either post a link on here or embed a link into your post. Not too difficult to do.

DylanHill1931 likes this.