Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Grinding and the eye doctor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BJR, Mar 29, 2017.

1. BJR

BJR

Got back from the eye doctor this morning. Spend a miserable night trying to sleep with my eye hurting. I was working on the 49 Buick and grinding some welds, felt something hit my glasses and kept going. Later yesterday afternoon my eye started to burn. The doc got two small black specks of something out of my eye. On my way home from the clinic I stopped at Menards and bought a face shield. The face shield cost less then the eye drops I have to put in my eye 4 times a day for the next week, not to mention my copay. So... don't do like I do and buy the face shield after you fuck up your eye. I think I will wait to buy the steel toed shoes until after I drop a head, or something else heavy on my foot. Some of us will never learn. Work safe in the shop!

2. LOL I cut a steel toed boot off of a guy once.

Eyes you don't get but two of 'em and it is way easier to live without toes than it is without eyes.

Keepsafe

3. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

BJR,
    Thanks for a good reminder to all of us. It's really easy to not bother with a face shield, or goggles, or whatever for the sake of saving time. We've all done it, and maybe we get lucky most of the time....then our luck runs out.:(
    Hope you make a full recovery. Oh...go get those steel toed shoes. Go on, hurry up. And take the time to put them on.:D

SFC and BJR like this.
  4. I've been there and done that when a automatic screw machine I was using on the job and ricocheted and destroyed my safety glasses and cut my eye,from then on it was mandatory all service work was done wearing face shields. HRP

5. Fordors

Fordors

I was using a 3" cut off wheel in a Dumore electric grinder and had an in incident in my garage about forty years ago that was a little too close for comfort. The wheel was used and must have had a nick in the edge because as soon as it came up to speed it grenaded. I had my GM issued prescription safety glasses on but a large chunk went under the frame. A trip to the ER and I had 15 stitches, but thankfully my eye was intact.
    As said above- work safely and use proper safety equipment. Beyond that, if you start a cut off wheel hold it away from your face and body when starting it and above all, with any equipment think and be aware of what might happen.

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, we all take good eye sight, etc for granted - grinding, welding, hammering on metal, etc - sadly, will not be the last thread like this - Safety Is Manly & Cool

osage orange and pat59 like this.
  7. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Forty years in the optical field, I've heard and seen more of these accidents than I'd like to think about. I wear glasses and a face shield and still have some scratches in my cornea. This recently happened to @ OJ, alliance member and friend. I'm really glad he's seeing OK again.
    Be safe guys.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

Been there, done that! Which time you want to here about?

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  9. When I was managing a large machine shop in Socal back in the 70's, we had a young guy that was an accident waiting to happen. Almost weekly, and usually something really odd, would find him one way or another and he'd get hurt. This went on for years.
    After telling him twice to stop wearing sneakers to work, I finally told him on a Friday not to come back in until he had some suitable work shoes. Monday morning he came into my office with a big smile on his face to show me his new shoes. They were not only steel toed, but had the steel running all the way up to the ankles.
    The next morning the foreman came in to tell me Donnie had to go to the emergency room. He was using a dremel tool on the bench next to the cnc he was running. The dremel had a 1/16 drill bit in it, and had rolled off the workbench. The dremel landed bit down hitting a bullseye on one of the shoe lace's eyelets!! The bit broke off inside his foot.

10. You are only issued one pair of eyes; a few simple precautions can save heartaches and monies later Always wear eye protection!

osage orange likes this.
  11. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

yep , had a doctor grind out a chunk of metal out of my eye because i was stubborn and thought it would work it's way out . it didnt and rust had started to form according to the doc. happened again a week later , the doctor walked in and said "what the hell ???"

Dino 64 likes this.
  12. williebill

williebill

Then there are those of us who have magnetic eyes...... glasses, goggles, face shields, doesn't matter, that shit will turn the corner, and home in on your eyeball. My favorite ones are those that wait until later to zero in on your eye, long after you've stopped working.
    Eye juice will make rust out of steel almost immediately.... tried to tough it out once when I was taking my kids to a Disney ice show, big mistake. The bright lights were intolerable, I had to sit there with my eyes closed for most of the show. My eye doc was impressed with my stupidity, but that wasn't the first time.

13. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

They know me by name and injury at my local occupational health clinic.....take care

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  14. When I worked for a commercial roofing co.back in the 80s I had to cut the tops off the 55 gallon drums after we had use the tar material in them so they could crush them I would have to go to the E.R. about once a month because metal bits of metal would fly up in to my eyes even with glasses on. I am surprised I can still see today.Young and stupid. Bruce.

Runnin shine likes this.
  15. oj

oj

I just went thru the surgery thing, a chunk went into my cornea and I see fairly well but not as well as I could, I get a halo or double image. The doc says he can correct most of it but I won't commit for the glasses until all the bills are settled from the surgery. Its cost over $2500, I haven't found out yet what the insurance is covering.

lothiandon1940 and Dino 64 like this.
  16. Yep I was working on my modal a grinding on something probably the frame. We went out that night to some friends house took a shower never feeling a thing. Woke up about 2 in the morning couldn't blink hurt real bad. Messed with my eye couldn't help the situation. So I spend the rest of the morning calling the clinic hoping someone would answer they did at 8am. Went in on my own wife had the twins to deal with and I wasn't waiting. The doc said I got the metal out but rust formed when I was sleeping she numb to my eye and ground off the rust that's crazy weird. Every part of you says run. Sat at the Pharmacy in the clinic they took a while to get my drops and my I eye wasn't numb about halfway home. So being really tired and the pain my lids wanted to weld shut. So I had to hold my eye open to drive home. I don't remember hitting my head pillow next thing I know my wife is home from work asking me how I am. Good thing I work for my dad since I didn't go to work that day. He just said don't do that! thanks dad. I always have safety glasses 4 in the shop and 2 in the truck. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Be safe!!!!

osage orange and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. dan31

dan31

I'm a right leg amputee,no biggie,but my eyes?,i don't fuck with them. Wear the shield

18. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to wear small $2 eye glasses to help me see what it was grinding. My son said silly old bugger you have pushed your luck too long, he bought me some diopter bifocal type safety glasses . Now I have clear vision .

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. chargin03

chargin03

I have been there a few times and it is never any fun.

20. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I use the military grade bullistic safety glasses in my garage. Issued to me and I can attest to combat effectiveness of them. Nothing better. If you can grab a pair, do it.

They work.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  21. blazedogs

blazedogs

I'm sure I speak for most. You get engrossed in you project ,get in a hurry , don't grab eye protection thinking I'm just going to grind off a small area, or debur ,no big deal and yup you get a small chunk of metal in your eye amd it won't work itself out ; off to the eye doctor. I wear perscription glasses all the time,but it still happens One year I did it twice.. God was the Wife pissed... gene

Runnin shine likes this.
  22. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After having a ricochet off my cheek and safety glasses, I only wear goggles that seal tight to my face when grinding. Having a rust ring ground out of your eye is an experience you won't forget.

23. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Something for everyone to think about. I wore safety glasses and a face shield and was very careful to look straight at my work so I didn't catch sparks from the side. Even with all this precaution I went 8 times to get slivers out of my eyes. It drove me crazy till I finally caught myself rubbing my eyes while grinding. I was rubbing my eyes with my contaminated hands and putting the slivers in myself. Now I don't touch my face no matter what until I am done and have thoroughly washed my hands. Have not had another problem.

hipster, BJR, belair and 1 other person like this.
  24. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

After cutting my finger bad because I had the guard off the grinder it was a good reminder to slow down. Always careful with my eyes as I already have a not so good one from birth. Wear one of these for all grinding and even started wearing one of these welding breathers regular for welding and even heavy grinding work. Have a good ventilation system in the shop too when I'm working with the garage door closed throughout the colder months. No reason to shorten the life, want to be around to drive these cars as long as I can!!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

cavman and Bruce Fischer like this.
  25. That's why I close one eye when I grind.......always have a spare :).

26. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

From all my years at it,with And without protection,I have floaters that i see when I look in the correct lighting.My eyes are also getting worse from all the heavy plate welding.Scares me to think Id never see a grandchild some day!!

Arc eye is another one.Ask my how I know.Now that is not a good time!!

C. John Stutzer likes this.
  27. topher5150

topher5150

I learned my lesson at a young age. I was about four and I got a face full of paint stripper the only thing I remember was being held down and waterboarded by my parents

28. GTS225

GTS225

****************************************************************************************************************

OH, DAMN! That makes me cringe just thinking about it. A caustic solution in the eyes? A sliver of metal can't have anything on that.

Roger

29. Right after college I was working as a construction inspector on a chip sealing crew, riding the diesel-powered chip spreader right next to the exhaust all day, and it would run immediately behind the liquid asphalt distributor spraying oil on which the chips would waterfall. Ruined my hearing and ingested asphalt and rock dust in my lungs for three months that summer. Now I'm 68, lucky to not have lung issues, but hearing has been compromised for decades. Always now wear earplugs, safety glasses, face shield and gloves when grinding.

30. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

That face shield up above^ is awesome and I have that exact one.

What?
    Now, let's not forget about hearing protection. What?
    A little bit of noise adds up. What?

C. John Stutzer likes this.