Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Moon Argument

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The Moon Argument

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. hip hop music....now that is ugly

3. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are cool, but personally I prefer magnesium Americans.

4. Yeah, Screw you Derek! :rolleyes: :D

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    vetteguy402, Stogy, mgtstumpy and 5 others like this.
  5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

So what? They were never made for looks. They were made to smooth out the wheel for less air resistance at the dry lakes and salt flats. Who cared what they looked like.

Before Moon discs guys were making wheel covers out of lacquers, which were 16" diameter aluminum discs coated with lacquer, a type of record used by radio stations. Or the lids off of wringer washing machines. Anything to eke out a little more speed.

Zerk, marioD, Pufff and 8 others like this.
  6. topher5150

topher5150

To me, like every thing else car related, I think it depends on the application. They might look great on some cars, but with others it can make the car look like crap.

7. oldcargary

oldcargary
    from devore, Ca

They look good on a lot of different cars, and it's an easy way to change the look of a vehicle.

Hnstray and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Depends on the body style (later model cars anyway) whether they look good or not

I've had the "original" style (three sheet metal screw) discs on three different daily drivers over the years.
    Came out of a store to find two kicked in by some numb-nuts on one car, so I had to buy two new ones.

You don't realize how much steel wheels flex till you put a set of screw-on Moon discs on a daily driver..!

Mike

9. And you lead it off with the push truck......
    Ate up with it, aren't ya? ;)

HOTRODPRIMER and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. I agree with Derek. IMO there are maybe three cars you posted that wouldn't look better with different hub caps/wheels.

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

God... You know me.

But there are three!

12. TALLAN

TALLAN

Works for 53/54 Studebakers in my opinion...

IMG_4760.JPG

13. HAHA I am not even sure they look better or I'm just used to seeing them on those cars so they are a familiar look for that style of car. All three are landspeed cars where for me they look right more for their function than their aesthetics.

14. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

They are really cool, until you hit an orange cone,,, then they are dented (history) cool.
    I put them on my 41 pickup 20 years ago and was one of the few that knew.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. Ryan,your friend Derek and my pal Dave sound alike,Dave hates Moon disc!

I have always liked them and think they looked pretty good on my old Model A pickup. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

joel, Hnstray, T-roaster and 3 others like this.
  16. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

caps and rings here...

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. My buddy logan ran them on his A coupe and I thought they looked perfect

IMG_2834.jpg IMG_2835.jpg

edcodesign, Stogy, T-roaster and 6 others like this.
  18. I don't know anything about hip hop music (nor do I want to) but I like my Moon discs 20160731_173550.jpg

Hnstray, mgtstumpy, kiwijeff and 3 others like this.
  19. I'm torn here. Yeah, some cars do look cool with them. Then there are those who try to make their ride look like a competition car when it's not. Kinda like putting a sock in your pocket when you head out to the disco to listen to some hip-hop.:D:eek:

joel, tfeverfred, joeycarpunk and 4 others like this.
  20. What the heck is hip hop music? is it like the "Here comes peter cotton tail hopping down the bunny trail?"

Moon disc are one style that you ether like them or dislike them, rarely is there a middle ground. HRP

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    swade41 and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  21. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Just thumb through any of the little pages and what do you see? They're traditional and they rock!
    I've seen them on many a vehicle early and late model, they always look good as long as the stance is nailed.

22. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Moon dics on a street car were for guys who didn't have the balls to pop a set of olds flippers. a set of 57 plymouth caps would look better on the black stude above..Hip hop\rap no matter how you look at it SUCKS!!!!!

23. Sancho that Vette is a beautiful piece. And someone world their ass off making those aluminum covers shine. ;)

Personally I think that they are as ugly as butt. I wouldn't put them on anything I owned. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Note: I saw some that Jeffries painted up at a show once and have been in love with them ever since.

24. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Your buddy is a (fill in your own insult). Moon disks, real on front. Homemade on rear, in their proper location. viewphoto.jpg

fur biscuit, Drewfus, X38 and 12 others like this.
  25. For me it had nothing to do with balls,it was cash,I couldn't afford anything I thought looked any better. HRP

[​IMG]

mgtstumpy, typo41, henryj1951 and 3 others like this.
  26. belair

belair

Derek has no taste. I love 'em.

27. To me they are a piece of history that goes back to when owners and drivers first become conscious of aerodynamics and were the forerunner of all things streamliner. I guess it's fair to say that they have been an "easy" fix for motley looking wheels. But it's also true that they have been a "easy" fix for their original purpose on the dry lakes and as a bonus, improved the looks of a lot of motley looking wheels there too.

So now moon disks are haute couture on cars that have seen a lot of parking lots but never salt. "Easy" is a fair label but I'd bet that there are more perfectly finished rims covered over than motley ones. The look and labels of "history" and "heritage" could apply too. But it's great that the HAMB is not a joint committee with one car and all opinions have to be whittled down to one. So keep the shiny up and the salty side down everybody! :)

Burny, Hnstray and HOTRODPRIMER like this.