Register now to get rid of these ads!

Round 2 Sydney Dragway 25th March 2017

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by spanners, Mar 26, 2017.

1. spanners

spanners

Evening all. I know I've been a bit crappy in the race report area but I didn't race the Day of the Drags and last weekend I was supposed to be racing at Gunnedah. After driving the 4 hours up there, paying to stay in a cabin overnight and waking up to pouring rain, we drove 4 hours back home because the racing was cancelled due to rain. Sometimes I think it might be better to take up jet boat racing. Enough complaining, let's race.
    Off down to Sydney we went with just a bit of trepidation. The previous week we'd had rain, rain and more bloody rain. Five HAMBsters turned up to do battle. Ezio, Steve, Jeff, me and Georgia in Gerard's car again. As I posted in Round 1, my car has been running slower each event, but does it consistently, meaning I can dial a time and usually run that time all day. After round one I felt it was running out of puff toward the end of the run. I decided to take the 1 1/4" S.U.s off and put 1 3/4" back on. A real "suck it and see" trial.
    First race was against Steve. The lights ran down and I stepped off the clutch. 60 foot of tyre smoke later and I realized this thing is running better. Steve's not getting away like he normally does and I'm gaining on him. Steve picks up another gear and finally pulls away. Steve runs 13.783 and I run 14.194. I've never run that quick at Sydney and last round I was dialing 15's because of the way it was running. Might've found the problem do you reckon?

I'm having trouble with the internet so I'll have to continue tomorrow.

Black Knight Racing likes this.
  2. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Sounds good mate. I think you may have found the right setup.

3. spanners

spanners

I'm back. Georgia is still learning the intricacies of HAMBsters especially the fact she's never driven a manual gearbox. Here she is getting a bit snakey on the start but unfortunately it seems to have unsettled her gear changing.

4. spanners

spanners

We then had a couple of rain showers, restarts and oil downs and 5 1/2 hours later racing resumed. This how some passed the time.

5. spanners

spanners

First Shootout was at 7.23 pm with me against Steve.

Ezio up against Jeff.

6. spanners

spanners

Second run was against Ezio. The carby linkages had come loose again so I only had 75% throttle so couldn't quite reel him in.

After round 2 of the shootout we all had a win so it came down to round 3.

Me and Ezio in the final. Yep, I did it again.

Thanks for watching. Round 3 at Sydney 22nd April

7. spanners

spanners

This is a caricature my lovely wife/crew chief had done for me for my 60th birthday last week.
    DSC00943.JPG

300racr likes this.
  8. bobw

bobw

Your racing videos are only overshadowed by your lovely wife's artwork. I always enjoy your posts, spanners.

9. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

thanks for the report & videos... Art work is really neat. Your wife is a keeper.

10. spanners

spanners

I possibly misinformed everyone. Yes, she's definitely a keeper but she had a local bloke do the artwork. She had a similar one done 15 years ago of me with my FJ Holden Ute and Panel van by the same artist.

11. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Great stuff, looking forward to round three. :cool:

12. BS!

BS!

Good stuff. Love the reports

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

Nope. I understood your post on your wife had commisioned a drawring of you in the car. Drawring of you looks younger too. LOL... I appreciate your reports , the vids that you edit and post

14. spanners

spanners

Saying I look younger wins every time. When I turned 60 my 83 year old mother asked how I felt about it and if I was going to quit racing. I told her I don't mind growing old, I just refuse to grow up!

64 DODGE 440 likes this.
  15. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

It works Spanners. I'll be 71 on the 7th (only 4 more days) and growing UP is not an option. As long as we can keep moving, we can keep moving. Peter Pan is a good role model.

16. spanners

spanners

Well, it's the 7th over here so happy birthday Tom. I SUPPOSE I SHOULD'VE SAID THAT LOUDER or is it just me with selective deafness?

64 DODGE 440 likes this.
  17. OBFB HA/GR

OBFB HA/GR

Those bigger carbs sure woke the old girl up.

blackknight likes this.
  18. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Thanks for the good wishes Spanners. I started celebrating on Tuesday and I'm planning on continuing at least the whole month. Every day is worth celebrating.

19. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

You're never too old to have a happy childhood.

64 DODGE 440 and Old6rodder like this.
  20. spanners

spanners

I thoroughly agree. I didn't start drag racing till I was 54 year old so I've got a lot of catching up to do.
    Next Saturday, 22nd April is round 3 at Sydney and the following weekend, 30th is the first round of the Nostalgias at Willowbank, Qld. Sydney is 100 miles South of home and Willowbank is about 400 miles North West from home. Do I enjoy my racing? Na, I only do it for the travel. :D:D:D:D

21. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Spanners, I made my first pass at 16 and just turned 71, so I've been at it on and off for 55 years. The only advice I can give you is don't keep a log of what you spend, just know that it's worth every cent.

22. spanners

spanners

Don't worry Tom. I'm not likely to work out how much it costs, but I did work out how many runs I've done by counting all my time slips. I've done 452 runs in 5 and a half years, over 400 of those runs with the same engine which has only had rings and bearings a couple of years ago. Hopefully it stays that way. That, by the way is the runs that I have time slips for. Some slips have been misplaced or weren't issued.

64 DODGE 440 likes this.
  23. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Not to mention the "occasional" driveway & street "test" runs. :rolleyes:

64 DODGE 440 likes this.
  24. spanners

spanners

Me being the law abiding citizen that I am, I would not indulge in that behavior. Well, maybe occasionally at the local industrial area after hours.

64 DODGE 440 likes this.
  25. bobw

bobw

I started drag racing when I was 15 and am now 75. I'll bet I haven't made 100 passes in all that time. For instance, I built a nice slant six for my dragster and made three runs with it. Pulled it out and built a 300 Ford 300-6 for it. Lost a whole season, which is very short anyway in the frozen north country.

I guess I just like building stuff. Racing makes me nervous. I'd rather watch your videos that do it myself.

26. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

I too, am more into the build than the race. I still race'em, just re-build'em often (sometimes between runs :rolleyes:). Seems every season finds changes in or on my cars. :cool:

27. spanners

spanners

It's probably because I came to the sport late that I don't have the confidence to play around with something that's running ok at the time. As a mate of mine once told me "the secret to a consistent racer is one who keeps his hands in his pockets". In other words, if it's running ok, leave it alone.

64 DODGE 440 likes this.
  28. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know what you're saying Bob. Over a period of 55 years (yeah I'm old) I built 25 or 30 race cars of various descriptions (I lost count). I only actually raced about a half dozen. The rest were sold before they were completely finished (I had a lot of lazy friends with money). I only drove three of those myself.