Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Any '55 Chevy trim experts out there???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tudorfritz, Mar 26, 2017.

1. I was thinking of using some '55 Chevy side trim on my Shoebox. My question is if I use the quarter trim pieces from a 2 door and the door pieces from a 4 door, will the two match up in width? It looks as the trim tapers and obviously the door seam is in different places between the 2 and 4 door trim. I'm like to use the 4 door piece because it would be longer on the door and think it would look better. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm only going to use the long spear piece.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. i don't know about the taper, but don't mix 210 and bel air trim.

henryj1951 and olscrounger like this.
  3. Yes, one has the painted recess in it.

4. curves etc are the same, but like others have said, 210 (black car)does not have the white painted curved/dished center stripe , Bel Air does(blue car) , so stick with either model and 2 and 4 door line up , I have done it several times

henryj1951 likes this.

5. Awesome, thank you.

6. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Woah!, A 4 door,door piece isnt going to line up with a 2 door quarter pieces but a hardtop door piece is a little longer than a post/sedan door piece.

olscrounger and tudorfritz like this.
  7. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Tape it temporarily where you want it , and see if that's WHAT you like.
    My favorite car is a 55 - 210 post, and for me i just WOULDN'T do it.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  8. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

9. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Ever notice how the 59 belair trim design is similar to the 55 belair trim design?
    [​IMG]

10. Squablow

Squablow

I had the rear door trim from a '55 Belair 4 door and the rear quarter trim from a '55 Belair 2 door and they do not mate up nicely, the thicknesses are different since the trim overall is more like a big football shape, so the end of the 4 door door trim is thinner than the end of the 2 door quarter trim. I was planning to do the exact thing you're describing but it doesn't work out, unfortunately.

henryj1951 and tudorfritz like this.
  11. belair

belair

The Bel Air spear is wider, and concave in the middle where it is painted. The 210 trim is convex. As said, you can't mix them. Also, the trim is tapered. I doubt the 2 door trim piece taper will match the 4 door trim piece taper when you put them together. But I don't know that for sure. Good luck. That's a good look on shoebox fords.

tudorfritz likes this.
  12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Find a really good painter/stripper/air brush guy and paint on what you want. A buddy of mine did his 50 club coupe and it's great.

tudorfritz likes this.
  13. Ok, this answers a lot of questions for me. Because I noticed that some of the door spears were longer than others. I'm gonna pick up some 2 door hardtop trim. Thanks for everyone's help on this.

14. have a 55 210 two door sedan sitting in my shop with original 210 two door trim on quarters and 4 sedan rear door long trim on the doors , had to drill holes . The meeting point of the 2 pieces good on this car .... not arguing just saying what I see .... I will talk with customer and if he approves I will post pictures .....

both cars are 210's that i mixed trim from just clarify what I'm saying, I did not and am not saying I mixed 210 and Bel Air pieces

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    low budget and tudorfritz like this.
  15. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Belair trim is concave (so the white paint has a home)-n-210 is convex and smooth.
    scotty t and say the same thing-->Won't MIX well.
    YA i get that he's NOT mixing them up and just showing different pictures.
    I have OWNED over 100 55, 56, -n- 57's i get it....

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  16. Squablow

Squablow

Nobody is suggesting mixing 210 and Belair trim. I think those pictures were just posted to show where the cutoff point was at the back of the doors.

The question was will 4 door sedan back door trim mate up to 2 door rear quarter trims, of the same model.

I tried this with Belair trim and it doesn't work. But 1320gasser above says it will work with the 210 trim. I'd really like to see pictures of that since I think it's a cool idea and I was hoping it would work with the Belair trim.

17. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Measured some of my "210" trim and yes they are the same 1-11/16 inch tall and 1/2 thick at the door opening on both 2 and 4 door cars.
    I was pretty certain the belair 2 to 4 door transition was different as I have dealt with them more and I guess I took for granted the 210 would be just as different but it isnt, so my apologies;).....glad you schooled me on this, That info may come in handy some day.

henryj1951 and tudorfritz like this.