Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods more '35 Dodge windshield

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Compulsion, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Compulsion

Compulsion
    from BC

I'm about to install the tilt-out windshield on my 1935 Dodge. I installed new weatherstripping. However, is there supposed to be weatherstripping or some other rubber seal around the window frame body opening (arrows)? DSCN1609.JPG

2. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Upholstery has small diameter cloth covered twine weather strip

3. I believe there are supposed to be two rubber seals for that windshield. One on the frame and one on the car body.

Barn Find likes this.
  4. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Glass is set in frame with tape,
    Frame has flange style rubber seal.

The "twine" was actually twisted paper
    wrapped with the same napped material used in headliner.
    Wraps all the way around opening.

5. Compulsion

Compulsion
    from BC

Thats the way it looks to me. I installed new weatherstripping around the frame itself (image). Do you know what the rubber seal would look like? Would it be a simple flat seal? DSCN1610.JPG

6. Paul

Paul
    Editor

There is no rubber seal in opening

7. Compulsion

Compulsion
    from BC

Thanks Paul - I set the glass in the frame with new rubber tape. I installed a new weatherstrip around the frame. The thing is the window opening in the body itself looks like there should be some sort of seal there. But then again, maybe not. I will keep the information about the twine in mind when I get around to installing the interior. Thanks again.

8. Compulsion

Compulsion
    from BC

Again thanks Paul. That keeps things simple. I'll carry on.

9. Paul

Paul
    Editor

The upholstered trim is a miniature version of the welting around the doors.
    The unbeaded cloth "flange" of the welt is sandwiched between body and dash along lower edge and under metal trim on sides and top.

I've had two '35 Dodges and one '36 Plymouth and they were all like this..

Although it's been a couple decades since..
    so memory is a bit fuzzy..

10. Compulsion

Compulsion
    from BC

I'll file this information away. However, speaking of fuzzy memory, all I'll have to do is remember where I filed it.;)

Paul likes this.
  11. Mine was a 1936 DB, so I thought it would be similar. Then again, it was about 45 years since I owned it. Always happy to learn.

12. trollst

trollst

You might want to consider....if you are going to be a hiway flier, I urethaned my frame into the opening, the stock gasket on my 36 ford pickup isn't enough to keep the weather out at speed. Just a suggestion.

13. gene-koning

gene-koning

Sealing glass against weather wasn't a very high priority in the 30s, 40s, or 50s. People from that era were not the wimps we are today. A little weather intruding on your automobile ride was expected. Just having something over your head keeping you dry, and something keeping the wind from having a direct assault on you was much better then riding a horse or walking or standing on a corner waiting for a bus.
    If you want to keep the weather out, seal the glass to the body with urethane and forget the factory seals. Gene

14. Compulsion

Compulsion
    from BC

Thanks guys for the suggestion about sealing the glass. I'm a long way from getting it out of the shop, let alone down the street. I will, however, keep a tube of urethane handy.