Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Austin Somerset Gasser Build (DragNasty)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuced Up!, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

...And it wasn't all for fun and games, we actually DID need to take a measurement for the Blower Restraint straps. I decided to put one on this time around. Not that we are going to be turning the thing that hard etc. but there are some race tracks that like to see them. Just something else with an expiration date on it. :rolleyes:

deist.jpg

mgtstumpy, loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  2. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In reality the restraint system is more about the new Hilborn stuff up top. I mean if something totally stupid were to happen at least the darn thing won't fall off and smash the EFI System! :eek: Right? :p It is called preventive maintenance...

3. Lets hope you never need the straps. Finish it off with a burst panel and some aluminum studs and call it good. Are you going to put a diaper and fire system on the car? Looks great

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Make sure you oil those valve springs before you start it.

loudbang, Deuced Up! and mad mikey like this.
  5. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

brad-penn-oil-logo-big-600.jpg
    I said it before, I will never put any other oil in a race car again. I have their 30 weight
    break in oil for the first fire up at the dyno and then a quick change to 20/50 before we
    make the first tuning pull...and we will oil them up good before locking down the valve covers.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I just got a tracking number from Manton on the push rods yesterday so they will be here Friday. So that being the last part we need to re-assemble her I called the Dyno Tuner guy to get on his schedule. He is booked up through April. :mad:

So we are on the schedule for Tuesday May 2nd. That gives us just over a month to get it all back together and ready to fire. Probably not such a bad deal as there is a lot of stuff left to do after we get the engine back in the car. We have to wire up the new electric water pump and all the stuff for the new Hilborn unit etc. We have to run all new fuel lines for that system as well. Plus a good opportunity to nut and bolt check everything anyway as we go. So if things go well...we will be looking for a drag strip the weekend of May 6th and 7th...:cool:

7. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I know a good one lol

Chrome don't get ya home

loudbang and Deuced Up! like this.
  8. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YEP....I am thinking:
    MOKAN - Friday May 5th (Fun Drags).
    AND THEN:
    Ozark Raceway Park - Friday May 12th Test n Tune, Ride Along Friday

Wanna Go For A Ride!:D

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  9. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Why wouldn't I for that matter I might just bring the digger down there and run it too sounds like good times

Chrome don't get ya home

mad mikey, loudbang and Deuced Up! like this.
  10. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

kiwijeff, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  11. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I never offered lmao

Chrome don't get ya home

12. loudbang

loudbang

New Fad LAP RIDE LOL :(

mad mikey and Deuced Up! like this.
  13. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

When he dropped the hammer it would truly be a "Lap Dance" :)

14. Are you sure about the 20/50, my roller setup recommended less because of the clearances ?

15. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Normally it is not really about whether it is a roller or not but you are correct on the clearance. It is all about bearing clearances! Some builders like them tight and others loose, probably more about application than anything else. We are a bit on the loose side at .0032. They say for .0030 to .0040 the recomended wieght is 15W-50 or 20W-50.

16. i run straight 50wt all the time accept when its 90 plus degrees outside then the 70 goes in. a blower changes everything. regardless of the temp a bottle of lucas stabilizer goes in every time. of course with those weights of oil a filter like a system one is highly recommended.

17. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Push rods came in today. They are Manton Series 5 - 4130/4135 Chromoly Tubing propriatory heat treated to create a tube that has straightness memory with a hardness of 42 to 46 Rockwell. Not sure what that means but I am assuming they are good stuff! :D

Resized_20170324_125449.jpeg
    The package of eight 7/16" rods weighed just over 2.5 lbs.! They have H-13 tool steel balls on the rocker ends to be compatible with the Jesel shaft mount rockers.

Resized_20170324_125516 (1).jpeg
    Hopefully we will have this thing back together and back in the Austin by the end of day tomorrow. I will let you know! :cool:

mad mikey, loudbang and saltflats like this.
  18. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anybody want to buy an Austin cheap?:mad:

19. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Sorry to here that whats up? by the way whats cheap LOL Gary;)

Deuced Up! likes this.
  20. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So it has certainly been a fun day. Short and sweet. The push rods are too long...

I must be missing something. You know we spent forever before assembling the heads playing with the light weight springs and adjustable pushrod to double and triple check the measurements. Then when we had the number we assembled and installed the heads. Then when I was talking to Manton and gave him my measurements he did the prudent thing by asking how I ascertained the figures. I told him. He asked if I had adjusted the screws any on the Jesel shaft rockers. I said no, they are brand new and set by Jesel. He laughed and said he had never seen them shipped correct.

So I came home, backed the adjuster screw all the way out and then back in 1.5 turns. With the lifters on the base circle (and stock push rods in place) I had found some new lash meaning to be perfect, I needed a bit longer rods than stock. So took I my feeler gauge and measured the lash. It was .030 on the intake and .032 on the exhaust, again using the stock pushrod. So we added those amounts to stock lengths and placed our order. That should have given us 1.5 turns on the adjuster (a ton enough from zero lash to the cam cards .018). However when we installed them they are a ton too long! Even with the adjusters backed all the way out we have a good bit of negative lash till in play. However, they are exactly what we ordered and exactly .030 and .032 longer than stock respectively. o_O

I put the stock push rods back in and double checked and they are exactly what I measured above too short and the new ones are exactly the correct length but TOO LONG! :eek: ...Bottom line, I have 16 very expensive paper weights and still no push rods. I am wondering if there isn't some math in the rocker ratio that should have been in play with the extra lash I found making the needed length not exactly the same amount as the extra lash measurement. Anyone?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  21. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

kiwijeff and loudbang like this.
  22. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Does your plan involve a grinder and a hammer...?

kiwijeff, loudbang and saltflats like this.
  23. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Peanut 1959, loudbang and saltflats like this.
  24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That's a sad story....there is a ratio on a rocker so the math would have to go back to the push rod .

loudbang likes this.
  25. gonmad

gonmad

Wow, that blows man. (Figuratively that is!:rolleyes:)

Cars suck! LoL! :mad:

Deuced Up! and loudbang like this.
  26. Call al at manton and order their push rod measuring kit. At the pri show they were selling them for around 25 dollars. When it arrives set up the pushrod to the lengh you need. Then send it back to manton. They can shorten the ones you have already. While your on the phone order a few extra rods and screws. Dont kid yourself into thinking the tool steel balls and cups cant get smoked. It never hurts to have a few spares. I send mine back for new cups when i get a full set that need servicing.

Deuced Up!, loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  27. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You know, sometimes you just have to walk away and think. I just closed up the shop, came inside, climbed back in bed and clicked on Netflix...Star Trek (There are worse ways to spend a Saturday).

I popped on the HAMB and typed my plight. Then I took up my pad and pen and started drawing things out. Little teeter totter scribbles and arcs trying to visually see the potential math. Then it hit me, there were lots of parts that came with the rocker arms as they potential fit several different styles of heads. There were two sets of bolts for the seats (two different lengths). There was also a package with a ton of shims, reportedly, none of which we needed for our application.

So I figured if there really is some stupid math involved that I didn't understand (which I don't even know is true or not) I would just do the math I do know. I can't change the length of the push rods at least not today (hell they are "Series 5 - 4130/4135 Chromoly Tubing propriatory heat treated to create a tube that has straightness memory with a hardness of 42 to 46 Rockwell")! :eek::D But I most certainly could change the distance between the rocker and the lifter. So we went back out and did just that...

I experimented quite a bit with the different shims, adjuster screw turns and a Sharpie blacked out valve stem to keep track of the contact patch. After an hour or so I found that .032 under the seat and half turn out on the adjuster made the push rods fit at zero lash and still kept us darn near the center of the valve stem. My new math says everything fits and works and I still have around .060 left for lash adjustment. I bribed a good friend and engine builder over late yesterday with the promise of a good steak. He looked it all over and said we are golden, no issue! He said he nearly always has to shim rockers for one reason or another, no worries.

So out came the rest of the Howard lifters...

Resized_20170325_093316.jpeg
    The lube...

Resized_20170325_093603.jpeg
    And poof...

Resized_20170325_121253.jpeg
    We are back in the engine building business.:cool:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    Drewfus, gonmad, kiwijeff and 4 others like this.
  28. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes Al is the guy I have been talking to...he really knows his stuff...very impressed with him!

loudbang likes this.
  29. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I am having lifter envy.

kiwijeff, Deuced Up! and loudbang like this.
  30. loudbang

loudbang

Well that is great news.

Deuced Up! likes this.