Register now to get rid of these ads!

15 OZ Fuel Coupe @ Bako

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mark Hinds, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Not to argue with a legend, but Larry Foust drove the 554 coupe 171.74 at LIONS in 1963. ;)

2. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Musta been the good air at the beach LOL. We all had are favorite cars and drivers. Seeing the 554 coupe was a trip to the museum. The quest for the 15OZ. coupe took a little more effort. Had nothing but fun. If not for the people on the HAMB board I probably would never have found it. You know Dean, where we grew up there were alot of cool cars. Phil Glasses Orange 32 two door Ford sedan. The Geer brothers two door Ford sedan your brother Jacks 32 four door Sedan even my 36 five window coupe. But there is one car that I will never see again. A 1929 Ford Roadster Pickup painted some outragrous Candy Persimmon color that has never or probably never will be duplicated. Prettiest color I had ever seen. Now on to my next quest, trying to find Mikio Yoshioka and Frank Grafs "Stone T" fuel altered. With the help of the HAMB we may get lucky. Mikio said the car went from his possession to Half Moon Bay Ca., to Mentone,Ca. the the last he heardof Oklahoma

3. Oh, but you will see that red RPU again Mark! It won't be Junior's candy persimmon, but you will see it again. And that's all I'm saying for now.....

4. Was this car ever called the 15 1/2 oz. coupe? Or has it always been called the 15 oz coupe. I need to know from the man that knows. I am a big fan and love the chop. Been working on mine for sometime(slowly). Thanks for the inspiration.

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  5. Note the Burgermiester man? Burgie can in 15oz cans, at the time, the largest can available. That's why 15oz. According to big Mike Demarest and Mike Bartlett.

Stogy and kiwijeff like this.
  6. You are right Phil. That is exactly how the coupe got it's name. The beer of choice for the Groundshakers.

Chili Phil and Stogy like this.
  7. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Can't wait for it too show up. But like I said it won't be the same, Roman Red is a far cry from Candy Persimmon:(

8. Before it was the 15oz coupe. Recognize anyone Mark?

[​IMG]

9. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Only Les second from the right, and the Burgie man what I can see of him.

Stogy likes this.
  10. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Always told you the old man had good taste;)

11. Cortney

Cortney

Haha! Yes Sir!!!

12. wlhawkeye

wlhawkeye
    from Reno, NV

The new frame was built by High Mountain Fab (Jim Kirby) Lyle Webster is in Oregon. I am not in Vegas. I am in Reno. If anyone wants to know about this car, e-mail me at [email protected] or call 775-971-9110 & I will be glad to set the record straight on MY car. I have always owned this car since I traded for it in 1958.

Les Hawkins

kiwijeff likes this.
  13. wlhawkeye

wlhawkeye
    from Reno, NV

Sorry, I hate to disagree with anyone. Gene Moneyham (I poured his concrete driveway) & Al Share was close friends of mine. The fastest 554 ever went was 163 at old San Gabriel . Check out old issues of Drag Racing . It has the top 10 fuel altereds (speed & et)

14. wlhawkeye

wlhawkeye
    from Reno, NV

The 15 oz was called 96jr when we had Bill Demarest-Ed Amende & Gary Reed motor in it in 1958 & it was sky blue Then I built a 300ci hemi & the number was 15oz & called Hawkins-Webster-King & Mcleod. It will always be the 15oz I later built a fiat 11oz Hawkins-Webster & Enmark.

Stogy likes this.

15. I must respectfully disagree. I saw this run at LIONS.

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  16. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

I know it's a different era,but I saw Steiner go 175 at Seattle in the 80s, one of the COOLEST runs Ive ever seen!!! Chris

Stogy likes this.
  17. wlhawkeye

wlhawkeye
    from Reno, NV

You are right. Steiner was in the 80s but the Bad News Coupe (when I ran it) was in 65 & it was a B fuel Altered. I made a mistake when I printed that info. I should have said the first B fuel altered to run over 170 MPH. I only had a 354 ci motor & every one else had a 392 (or bigger) i their car.

Les Hawkins

rfraze likes this.
  18. wlhawkeye

wlhawkeye
    from Reno, NV

Afternoon Mark;
    Could you give me a call at 775-971-9110. I would like to discuss a few things with you regarding my car.

Thanks;
    Les

19. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Sorry for taking so long to respond. Just checked the board today looking for info on the Hot Rod Magazine show at Pomona this weekend. Always a pleasure talking to you Les. I will keep in contact more often in the future. So many projects and newer enough time, sound familiar?? Mark

20. John Starr

John Starr

FWIW... here it is at my next door neighbor's house in March 2014. Quite a sight. I saw them park the trailer, grabbed my camera and out the door I went.
    1934Dragster1.jpg

21. Hutkikz

Hutkikz

Every time I see a pic of this TOTALLY Bad Ass car. I have major daydreams of owning/driving it. Can't help it since my name is also Les Hawkins.

Stogy, mad mikey, kiwijeff and 2 others like this.
  22. That's got to be trip, to see it next door.
    I would have to pinch myself, hard.

23. John Starr

John Starr

I hear ya. Prior to this day when it rolled up in front of my house, I new nothing about it. When I approached my neighbor I said "Now THAT'S the kind of car I want." He said "You have expensive taste!" then explained to me the history of the car. (my neighbor is a hot rod historian/author, and I think he had some dealings with/between the new and old owners of this dragster, which brought it to his driveway that day).

The current issue (#74) of Rodder's Journal has a big feature on it, which is why I was googling around for info on the old car and found this discussion.

I took several photos that day. My favorite part was the "nose art": 20140316_131823.jpg

Stogy, mad mikey, kiwijeff and 2 others like this.
  24. koachwerks

koachwerks

Cool, so you live next to Peter Vincent?!

And yes, that nose art is awesome.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  25. John Starr

John Starr

Not Peter -- Pat Ganahl. Super guy who lets me drool all over his cars every chance I get. He's not the new owner of the 15oz coupe. I forget what his connection was that day.

kiwijeff, loudbang and bonesy like this.
  26. koachwerks

koachwerks

Also very cool! Nice guy to let you drool on his cars every once in a while.

I have been following Peter Vincent on FB for a while and he posts enough photos of the coupe that one would believe he has been the owner for the past few years. Peter is a very accomplished photographer and has a few spectacular books on hot rods and the Salt Flats, so I'm certain he and Pat are very familiar with each other.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    mad mikey, loudbang and John Starr like this.
  27. John Starr

John Starr

I just googled Peter and saw photos of him... and recognized him; I think he was the one at the house that day with Pat. I think he must be the new owner. (I did not post my photo that shows him and Pat near the coupe -- I get nervous posting photos of people without their permission)

BTW, Pat is building a very nice '33 Ford fordoor right now. (I thought it was a '34, but saw pics of it posted on his son's shop instagram and FB pages as a '33)

Here's another angle on the coupe -- I seem to recall hearing that day that a door had long ago been stolen from this coupe. Maybe this is the replacement? Dunno. 20140316_131843.jpg

28. loudbang

loudbang

I found this photo of 15 OZ on the net and it's posted in the altered thread from a few day ago.

[​IMG]

Stogy, mad mikey, John Starr and 3 others like this.
  29. I'm not sure when I first saw this Coupe, but I do know it was love at first sight.
    Since then, I've read everything I've found on it, (here on the Hamb), but I'd not seen this thread.
    What a great thread.

mad mikey, John Starr and loudbang like this.
  30. John Starr

John Starr

Grab a copy of the latest Rodder's Journal #74, due out any moment Pat tells me. It's got a big feature on this car.