Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The Allure of the Quick-Change Rear End.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I paid $200 for the one in the picture. You would probably be better off to part it out, to get the maximum return.

2. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

$200 is a fair price, IF the spiders are NOT WELDED!

The problem with those is they are too heavy to ship anywhere.

3. This actually is my reason for asking. I'd like to run some early ford wheels on mine eventually.

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Just called Winters and since I took my rear end apart totally for painting of the axle tubes-bells they are sending me out a couple of new O rings to seal it up properly when I put it back together.
    No charge at all. As well when I bought the axle from Speedway and it came without the bearings being installed or the axles put in, they gave me tech help which Speedway didn't.
    The rear end came with no instructions at all.
    All of that has been overcome, Winters is a good company for support.
    I got 3 different gear sets as well when I ordered it so I'll be set to play :cool:

ekimneirbo and ls1yj like this.
  5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Bruce, that's good info on the lugs. I have a few different brands of the drum brake units, Safety Racing, 4-C Racing and Frankland have 1/2" studs. My favorite is Frankland, and stock Ford drums will fit, along with modified Buicks. 2012-09-28 173612.jpg

dwollam likes this.
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Such a cool 5W, ear candy and eye candy!

7. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Any of you heard of a company 'S.N.L.' I have some magnesium axle housings with that on them. Fit a 12 bolt Halibrand Champ. Will post some pictures later.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Winters website has instructions for there rear ends.

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes, but they are not good detailed instructions that show things like diagrams of component location like bearing spacers and the like.
    A call to their tech line makes it a lot easier.

10. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

I love all quick change topics! Nothing beats the look of a quick change.... I got my Champ from Pete Eastwood a couple years ago for my 32' sedan:
    IMG_2783.JPG

And just finished rebuilding the Champ in the 40':
    IMG_4261.JPG
    IMG_4398.JPG

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    rod1, 26hotrod, 383deuce and 6 others like this.
  11. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Just found this pic. The Champ before being installed in my sedan.
    IMG_1116.JPG

12. Hutch built

Hutch built

13. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

RODIST likes this.
  14. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Good looking ass!

15. NORSON

NORSON

Question for Hutch built;
    I have the same Champ center with the same side plates that I want to build for a similar width car. Can you tell me how much the tubes were cut? What ends you used and how long the finished tube ended up? I'm concerned with getting the right ends to fit my tubes.
    Thanks for any and all help.
    Norm

16. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I have a Champ in my 33 and if you can read the numbers on the photo you can see what the axle tubes need to be. I used Dutchman axle ends.
    IMG_2680.jpg Jalopy Hal.jpg

Drewfus and Dean Lowe like this.
  17. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I have my rear end cases tumbled and coated for a natural look. Buick drums at all 4 corners are also tumbled.

1933-ford-roadster-new-rear-profile.jpg

Guthrie1068, hfh, alfin32 and 5 others like this.
  18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Coated ? :confused: :)

19. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Our local aluminum deburring shop coats the tumbled part so it will stay fresh even in the outdoors. He does all the Corvette parts the same way for the valve covers. I'm not sure what he uses as he keeps it his secret.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Looks like you will have to grab him and do the ol' bamboo under the fingernails trick ;) :D:D

21. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I used a Winters V8 model for my latest roadster build. I like the fact that you don't have to cut the gas tank and it is good for 500hp. The differential is the secret to these QC rear ends. Winters has all the tech help and service you could ask for. This polished unit uses the early Ford housings not the Winters Bells.
    pin.jpg cuwd.jpg rib.jpg

brigrat, Lorenzini and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. atch

atch

OR post up his contact information here so we all can send parts to him...

23. NORSON

NORSON

Thanks for the Dutchman connection. They list one especially for the early Ford tubes. It's extra but at least I don't have to guess.
    Norm

24. Hutch built

Hutch built

Sorry I don't any measurements to pass on, the rear was sent up for me the Magnum Axle Co. who I bought the rolling chassis from. I do know that it had the Ford big bearing ends.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  25. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

A couple Champs waiting to go for A ride...
    IMG_5127.JPG

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    383deuce, neverdun and Pewsplace like this.
  26. RODIST

RODIST

Hi,.. humble beginnings !!
    "You'll need two dead trucks" (post 84)[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Hi,..Sooooo,.ya wanna be a traditional Hotrodder hey,???!!!
    Me too!! .. So I see pics of , & read about Halibrands, & buy a center section out of HMN, so I'm Hotrodding!
    I learn how I need a guy who really knows his stuff to fix this centersection!! I buy another center section,... this ones bigger, !! It needs "side bell adaptors" it's odd due to it's an 11 stud model.
    I spot an 11 stud under 32 Rdstr that looks to have plenty of miles on it at a "TYRODS CC" event. The owners cool , he gives me lotsa info & advises me to contact "Ronnie Roadster" a rod builder from Connecticut who "setup" the rearend......= ."RR".."u have a project man"!!
    " u need the step down adaptors , no one makes em, I don't have em, good luck!!, " u could use 3/4 ton truck stuff , you'll need two complete rearends for donors , call me if u get them & I'll help u."
    Here's what I've learned so far...
    Ya need two cool old time junkyard proprietors, who've hung onto two 3/4 Ton trucks for 40 to 50 yrs!! That are willing to dig em out & sell em,.. thanks Junior & Shelly!
    u need
    To help em dig em out.. they're buried pretty good
    U need to take a Saturday off ,&bring two six packs , "Roaming Fee", so u can walk in the deer tick woods an look for the donors.
    Once u find em , hike back out & try to get the junkyard guy to go up into the woods/junkyard ,to ok u ,to dig out the junk on & around the donors ,to access em with the machine,...he's busy ,.. comeback Sunday,..
    Bring two six packs,..("ROAMING FEE":)
    Again he's busy,..try to get a price out of him , He has to see em , he can't see the small pics on the phone or the digit camera...he'll come up,.. maybe next weekend,.. heyyy were hotrodding right!! A couple of more weekend trips, few more sixes, we getting to be ol buddies!! Long long story short, the machine broke, road up into woods got washed out, winter came and went.I did get the donors out, loaded on my pickup, & parked at my workshop.
    Two hundred each . (& a couple sixes)
    The Halibrand project!! 2 b continued!
    Enjoy the pics, (the last pic is the 32 at TYRODS)

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chaztor likes this.
  27. Blake 27

Blake 27

My Spidardo-Winters V8 quickchange.
    Winters ring and pinion
    41 Ford differential, axels and brakes
    38 Ford bells
    Buick drums
    Beveled change gears
    21,000 miles so far with no issues. At first the square gear noise was cool but after a while it became annoying. Switching to bevel gears made it a lot more comfortable especially on long trips. DSC06116.JPG DSC08749-001.JPG

26hotrod and sharpmark like this.
  28. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Just a few things I learned after having the quickie on the road for about 30 years . . .

Unlike gear drives, they are quiet while not underway. They make the best noise slowing down, perhaps because the engine is quieter.

If you jack the rear end way up, you lo Quickchange.jpg se less grease.

The 53 Cad Hydro I had seemed to keep more pressure on the gears without banging them as bad as a stick. Yes, I still could get 4th gear scratch. The torque tube bolted right up to the trans. courtesy of Scotty's Muffler.

30+ pounds of air in skinny tires helped keep it together.

rod1, Cyclone Kevin and Paul like this.
  29. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

DON'T FLAME ME!

Here's one I'm putting in my champ car. (It's really a 9 incher.) I just want "the look".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. You know you deserve to be flamed now don't yah???? LOL